Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Skydio 2 Drone vs DJI Mavic Pro 2  (Read 1922 times)

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
Skydio 2 Drone vs DJI Mavic Pro 2
« on: January 28, 2020, 07:57:58 pm »

Wondering if anyone has some raw files from both drones they could share?

Skydio hired a company to do a comparison I don't trust. I find the smaller censor size of the Skydio is likely to have more noise, and lower dynamic range, but in the test, it shows Skydio to be better than DJI.

Again very skeptical, but I'd accept it if I had raw file proof... so hoping someone here has some knowledge or examples on the two drones?

Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Re: Skydio 2 Drone vs DJI Mavic Pro 2
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 04:07:30 pm »

Well, I may be able to give you that answer in a few months. I have the Skydio on order (since last fall). I certainly don't expect dynamic range or other aspects to compare with my cameras, so I'm starting from a low bar. That said, the demo videos seem impressive.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 08:56:56 pm »

I have had the Skydio since late summer. Generally, I'm pleased with it. The obstacle avoidance works well and the video performance seems quite good. It's default is "always on" in thought that you won't miss anything as you fly. If I'm disappointed about anything, I'd say the still photos are a little on the weak side. Even though it's nominally a 12MP image DNG that I've processed, it feels la little lower resolution for finer details. That said, I've made some nice smaller (8x10) prints for friends. It's certainly sharp enough if well processed.

I do find I have never been able to fly it very high -- about 450 ft. because of FAA limitations. It's interesting that this is automatic, that I don't do anything, so it's built it to the drone. Also, I have never been able to fly the full 2.5km or so that's the reported range with the controller (shorter using an iPhone). I have used it to track myself running. I used it to track a bike ride with my kids, though as it orbited, it got caught up in trees. It was interesting eventually extricating it from the branches without crashing it. There are some built in things you can do such as spiraling outward, zooming away, orbiting etc. The strength is that it can lock onto a person and follow them. However, I feel a weakness is that the Skydio can't orbit a selected spot on the screen, an object such as a house, but it can lock onto a car.

The Skydio is worth a look if you are interested. One of the compelling reasons I bought it is that it's American designed and made.

Here is a JPEG created from a DNG RAW still. A neighbor of mine was moving and I shot it as a going-away present for her. (This is reduced from the full-size 4056 x3040.)

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 12:04:20 am »

I have just ordered a Mavic Mini 2.  By all accounts, I was smart to wait. No auto tracking, but it seems to do everything else well, getting rave reviews from experienced drone users. It will be my first drone.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 03:37:44 am »

I have just ordered a Mavic Mini 2.  By all accounts, I was smart to wait. No auto tracking, but it seems to do everything else well, getting rave reviews from experienced drone users. It will be my first drone.

Congratulations. Welcome to the cult!

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 09:21:44 am »

Congratulations. Welcome to the cult!

Thanks, Rajan!  For a guy who spent a lot of time shooting from helicopters, this is an intimidating dream come true.:).

I can already photograph.  Now, all I have to do is learn to fly.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 01:19:27 pm »

Thanks, Rajan!  For a guy who spent a lot of time shooting from helicopters, this is an intimidating dream come true.:).

I can already photograph.  Now, all I have to do is learn to fly.
Peter, be interesting to hear about your experiences with the Mini 2. I'm thinking about it also, but going to wait until spring, when I have something to shoot. I had a friend from out of state stop by this summer with his original Mini. It looked very compelling, but would not shoot RAW files which turned me off. In my earlier years I flew RC planes and enjoyed that a lot. Have been following the development of drones for many years. The Mini 2 sounds like the perfect match  for me in  not requiring an FCC license, small and simple to operate.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 10:40:18 pm »

It looked very compelling, but would not shoot RAW files which turned me off.

It really does tick all the boxes.  RAW files, AEB, automated pano shooting, 4K video, long range and long endurance.  I think it'll be as good a landscape camera as it is a video camera.

Mine arrived today.  Took me a few hours to wade through the execrable, high-security DJI "authorization"  procedures.  I purchased the extended crash coverage which complicated things somewhat.  However, it seems good to go now.  Batteries are all charged and the screen says "fly with caution". Good advice.

My first flight will be tomorrow, in my alfalfa field.  Can't wait.

Here's a Youtube that shows some of what it can do, including 3 second time exposure night panoramas.  The opening pano even has my house in it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KTLyuhP_BI&t=62s

lukaesenko

• Photography website
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 06:02:25 am »

Thans for this video link. The Mavic mini seems quite capable at night. I was thinking about buying it for my travels and mountain trips where I don't want to bring M2P - too big. It seems Mini can do the job quite nicely when you use the panoramas to compensate for smaller resolution.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 08:01:27 pm »

Thans for this video link. The Mavic mini seems quite capable at night. I was thinking about buying it for my travels and mountain trips where I don't want to bring M2P - too big. It seems Mini can do the job quite nicely when you use the panoramas to compensate for smaller resolution.

Note that the Mini 2 is a huge step up from a Mini.

Maddog: the DNG files from the Mini 2 are quite malleable, but are only 4000X3000 pixels.  The Mini 2 does automated AEB and, yes, it flies.  Easily.

Pages: [1]   Go Up