Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Museo Discontinuing Manufacturing of Paper  (Read 4279 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Museo Discontinuing Manufacturing of Paper
« on: January 23, 2020, 12:15:22 pm »

I got an email from IT Supplies today announcing that Museo are discontinuing manufacture of various papers.  It's not clear whether this is a result of poor sales.  I regularly print on Museo Silver Rag which is a great paper.  For those of you who use Museo products, track down some vendors who still have stock on hand.

mearussi

Re: Museo Discontinuing Manufacturing of Paper
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 01:45:57 pm »

There are so many paper companies it's a wonder how any but the biggest/most popular survive.

SharonVL

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 05:40:30 pm »

This is bad news.  :(

Sharon

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 03:28:06 am »

It used to be Crane that made the paper. The range was taken over by Intelicoat (Magic) in 2007 but AFAIK still produced by Crane. Could be that Intelicoat took over the coating part in the production process though.

I see that my paper supplier in The Netherlands is also reducing the number of brands in the catalog. Not that surprising when a lot of papers are identical but for the label on the box. The last incarnation of Ilford did not have unique papers either. It is no longer in that catalog. If correct Museo will be scrapped as well then. Despite having some unique papers.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/SpectralPlots/SpectrumViz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 08:23:14 am »

It used to be Crane that made the paper. The range was taken over by Intelicoat (Magic) in 2007 but AFAIK still produced by Crane. Could be that Intelicoat took over the coating part in the production process though.
Crane did make the paper for the original Museo lines but left after several years. I think Inellicoat always did the coating. At one point Museo were having troubles with a paper supplier and switched back in 2011.  there was a thread on this forum regarding the new paper stock and whether the coating process had changed.  I contacted Museo and offered to do some color testing of the new Silver Rag paper.  All I needed was about 5 sheets of letter size paper and they sent me a 17 inch roll which was quite nice.  My tests showed no difference between the old and new papers so the coating formulation had not changed.  Several years ago Museo were sold to Dietzgen, a holding company that used to make Slide Rules.

Perhaps we are seeing a consolidation of paper suppliers.  Fotunately, we have Ernst's database to examine for good alternatives.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 10:19:00 am »

Crane did make the paper for the original Museo lines but left after several years. I think Inellicoat always did the coating. At one point Museo were having troubles with a paper supplier and switched back in 2011.  there was a thread on this forum regarding the new paper stock and whether the coating process had changed.  I contacted Museo and offered to do some color testing of the new Silver Rag paper.  All I needed was about 5 sheets of letter size paper and they sent me a 17 inch roll which was quite nice.  My tests showed no difference between the old and new papers so the coating formulation had not changed.  Several years ago Museo were sold to Dietzgen, a holding company that used to make Slide Rules.

Perhaps we are seeing a consolidation of paper suppliers.  Fotunately, we have Ernst's database to examine for good alternatives.

You are right, could well be that Intelicoat always did the coating. BTW Dietzgen purchased Intelicoat and by that Museo. Rexam was also included, I used their PET films in the past.

Well I think that SpectrumViz needs an overhaul. Too much time passed that I did not add media and like we see paper types are replaced or disappear. It is worse in canvas qualities though, I'm glad I did not add them to SpectrumViz. BTW when papers are no longer available I put them in the Obsolete map of SpectrumViz, have to update that too though. At least that map might help to identify the media used for a print that becomes famous one day :-)

deanwork

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 12:18:42 pm »

Canon used to sell a rebranded version of Silver Rag called Polished Rag. I don’t know if it’s still available.

I really like Hahnemuehle Photorag Pearl which is very similar with no oba .

John

You are right, could well be that Intelicoat always did the coating. BTW Dietzgen purchased Intelicoat and by that Museo. Rexam was also included, I used their PET films in the past.

Well I think that SpectrumViz needs an overhaul. Too much time passed that I did not add media and like we see paper types are replaced or disappear. It is worse in canvas qualities though, I'm glad I did not add them to SpectrumViz. BTW when papers are no longer available I put them in the Obsolete map of SpectrumViz, have to update that too though. At least that map might help to identify the media used for a print that becomes famous one day :-)

SharonVL

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 12:37:56 pm »

Canon used to sell a rebranded version of Silver Rag called Polished Rag. I don’t know if it’s still available.

I really like Hahnemuehle Photorag Pearl which is very similar with no oba .

John

The Canon polished rag is available in rolls 24" and larger.  :(

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 07:58:42 am »

I was alerted by a LuLa member yesterday that Museo papers are not discontinued as the the parent company Dietzgen is shifting to an e-commerce only distribution system.  Their website is here:  https://www.museofineart.com/   I'm still curious about their coating process and whether it is still being done here in the US by InteliCoat; if so it must be the only paper available that is not coated over in Europe.

Here is the statement from Dietzgen regarding Museo papers,

"Effective Jan 1, 2020, Dietzgen is discontinuing the dealer channel supporting the Museo Fine Art product line. We can assure you we did not come to this decision lightly. We stand behind our customers and the dealer channel that has been a part of Museo for the past 25 years. Museo products will continue to be offered through a direct ecommerce sales model that best supports the customer and provides the required engagement and experience. The typical Museo customer is a small business or home user. We have found the dealer channel has not been a successful path to reach, engage and grow this market segment. Magic will continue to offer it’s Fine Art products through the existing dealer channel. We hope you will respect our decision, integrity and commitment to our customers, our partners and the printing community. Thank you for your business and continued support of Dietzgen Corporation."

Rand47

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 09:53:53 am »

Alan,

Thanks for the information.  I used to print on Silver Rag but quit when I started experiencing “shedding” of fine fibers into my printer (an Epson 4880 at the time). I had heard that there were QC issues, and that they had been resolved.  Could you comment on your recent / current experience with Silver Rag in this regard.  I thought it was a really lovely paper, but just a mess in use.  I’m hoping my last experience with it was a fluke with a bad batch or two.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 10:12:50 am »

Alan,

Thanks for the information.  I used to print on Silver Rag but quit when I started experiencing “shedding” of fine fibers into my printer (an Epson 4880 at the time). I had heard that there were QC issues, and that they had been resolved.  Could you comment on your recent / current experience with Silver Rag in this regard.  I thought it was a really lovely paper, but just a mess in use.  I’m hoping my last experience with it was a fluke with a bad batch or two.

Rand
When I still had my Epson 3880, I printed a lot with Silver Rag and never had any issues.  I know that they had to shift paper suppliers some years ago.  I got a new Canon Pro-1000 last year and don't have any paper feed issues.  I find that Moab Juniper Baryta Rag and Canson Plantine Fibre Rag are suitable substitutions.  I have a couple of new boxes of Silver Rag that print just fine.

Rand47

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 06:10:54 pm »

When I still had my Epson 3880, I printed a lot with Silver Rag and never had any issues.  I know that they had to shift paper suppliers some years ago.  I got a new Canon Pro-1000 last year and don't have any paper feed issues.  I find that Moab Juniper Baryta Rag and Canson Plantine Fibre Rag are suitable substitutions.  I have a couple of new boxes of Silver Rag that print just fine.

Alan,

Thanks... Canson Platine is one of my “go to” papers, for sure. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

BJL

Museo going to online only sales of Paper
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 10:44:17 pm »

Alan, Thanks for the good news clarification.
In the faint hope of giving thread a more accurate headline ...

I was alerted by a LuLa member yesterday that Museo papers are not discontinued as the the parent company Dietzgen is shifting to an e-commerce only distribution system.  Their website is here:  https://www.museofineart.com/   I'm still curious about their coating process and whether it is still being done here in the US by InteliCoat; if so it must be the only paper available that is not coated over in Europe.

Here is the statement from Dietzgen regarding Museo papers,

"Effective Jan 1, 2020, Dietzgen is discontinuing the dealer channel supporting the Museo Fine Art product line. We can assure you we did not come to this decision lightly. We stand behind our customers and the dealer channel that has been a part of Museo for the past 25 years. Museo products will continue to be offered through a direct ecommerce sales model that best supports the customer and provides the required engagement and experience. The typical Museo customer is a small business or home user. We have found the dealer channel has not been a successful path to reach, engage and grow this market segment. Magic will continue to offer it’s Fine Art products through the existing dealer channel. We hope you will respect our decision, integrity and commitment to our customers, our partners and the printing community. Thank you for your business and continued support of Dietzgen Corporation."

jason_amato

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 02:51:55 pm »

I wanted to confirm the previous post regarding Museo products. As you know, we are now offering customers the opportunity to purchase Museo products direct. We have no plans to change or discontinue any Museo brand products.

I would be happy to answer any questions related to Museo products. If the moderators prefer, I can start a new thread to avoid hijacking this one. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 02:45:38 pm by jason_amato »
Jason Amato
Product Manager
Dietzgen Corporation

MfAlab

• Modern Fine Art printing laboratory
    • HSU fine print
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 06:06:50 am »

These websites is down..
https://www.museofineart.com/
https://www.dietzgen.com/
https://www.magicinkjet.com/

And the mother company Precision Paper Company is no longer active.
https://www.corporationwiki.com/Florida/Tampa/precision-paper-company-3556603.aspx

Now we can say Museo is out?
Kang-Wei Hsu
digital printing & color management
fixative tests preview: https://reurl.cc/OVGDmr

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2020, 08:38:56 am »

The links are working now, so Museo still appears to be alive.

Dave
These websites is down..
https://www.museofineart.com/
https://www.dietzgen.com/
https://www.magicinkjet.com/

And the mother company Precision Paper Company is no longer active.
https://www.corporationwiki.com/Florida/Tampa/precision-paper-company-3556603.aspx

Now we can say Museo is out?
Pages: [1]   Go Up