Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Caoutchouc  (Read 3688 times)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
Re: Caoutchouc
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2020, 09:11:13 am »

Leopold II Bienfaiteur des parcs public

Empty pedestal

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2020, 01:53:41 pm »

Seems like an interesting documentary project, perhaps worthy of an illustrated political essay. Not sure what it has to do with photography, though. Pretty mundane snaps.

chez

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2020, 02:06:44 pm »

Seems like an interesting documentary project, perhaps worthy of an illustrated political essay. Not sure what it has to do with photography, though. Pretty mundane snaps.

Agree...I'm not much impressed with the individual images. Maybe a collage would make more sense.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2020, 03:09:14 pm »

What I said in the beginning, it’s going to be a series. Lot’s of pictures to take, selecting, selecting, retaking pictures, etc etc.

Photography as a means, not a goal. That’s not such a strange concept?

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2020, 03:13:25 pm »

Actually I’m testing images. The story should emerge from the series once it’s finished.

There are more than one statue of our king. Streets and squares are named to him.  The whole discussion around Leopold and his responsibility in the free state Congo massacre is complex to answer. Therefore I’m searching for how Belgium today is still a reflection of colonial robberies and murder.

That’s the intention.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2020, 03:36:04 pm »

Thank you...

Nodding money box
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 03:42:22 pm by Ivo_B »

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2020, 09:04:09 pm »

Not being familiar with the word “Caoutchouc”, it caught my eye and am now (forum banter aside)  intrigued by your ideas and what you are trying to achieve. Great potential here, Ivo. I like the political bent. Photographs have been used for decades to communicate and sway and document and reveal current and past political realities, even the ugly ones.

Don’t let the naysayers get you down. It’s a work in progress. I am typically one who wants answers from photographs. I want them to be descriptive and to explain everything, hence the limited depth to my own work. I like your idea of building the puzzle of connections through additional images. It forces me to ask questions along the way.

Looking at one photograph and trying to figure out the whole thing is like looking at one tree and trying to figure out a whole forest. To some, it’s just a tree. But, once the whole forest is revealed (What? You mean a forest is more than just a bunch of trees?), one begins to appreciate the richness and diversity that’s there.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2020, 01:05:11 am »

Not being familiar with the word “Caoutchouc”, it caught my eye and am now (forum banter aside)  intrigued by your ideas and what you are trying to achieve. Great potential here, Ivo. I like the political bent. Photographs have been used for decades to communicate and sway and document and reveal current and past political realities, even the ugly ones.

Don’t let the naysayers get you down. It’s a work in progress. I am typically one who wants answers from photographs. I want them to be descriptive and to explain everything, hence the limited depth to my own work. I like your idea of building the puzzle of connections through additional images. It forces me to ask questions along the way.

Looking at one photograph and trying to figure out the whole thing is like looking at one tree and trying to figure out a whole forest. To some, it’s just a tree. But, once the whole forest is revealed (What? You mean a forest is more than just a bunch of trees?), one begins to appreciate the richness and diversity that’s there.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Thank you so much for your reaction, Terry. You understand what I’m trying to do. Thanks.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2020, 06:46:11 am »

There is always one 😂

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2020, 07:07:58 am »

Hi Ivo,

I applaud your quest to place content at the center of your project. Too often "pretty" is thought of as the highest level of Art. You may also substitute well crafted.  People always denounce work that bends the brain. Stick with your plan and It will be a body of work that is uniquely yours. Whether you succeed or not, it's solely in your hands.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 07:28:56 am by petermfiore »

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2020, 07:11:33 am »

Hi Ivo,

I applaud your quest to place content at the center of your project. Too often "pretty" is thought of as the highest level of Art. You may also substitute well crafted.  People always denounce work that bends the brain. Stick with your plan and It will be an body of work that is uniquely yours. Whether you succeed or not, it's solely in your hands.

Peter

Well put.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2020, 07:11:45 am »

Hi Ivo,

I applaud your quest to place content at the center of your project. Too often "pretty" is thought of as the highest level of Art. You may also substitute well crafted.  People always denounce work that bends the brain. Stick with your plan and It will be an body of work that is uniquely yours. Whether you succeed or not, it's solely in your hands.

Peter

Thanks Peter.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2020, 07:12:49 am »

There is always one 😂

3 and counting. 😬😬🤣

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2020, 07:22:17 am »

The book Congo, a history - written by David van Reybrouck is one of the best books i have ever read.
Also one of the saddest; the people of Congo suffer throughout that history and still do whoever is in charge...
Reality is often more surrealistic than you could ever imagine.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:45:17 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2020, 08:11:57 am »

The book Congo, a history - written by David van Reybrouck is one of the best books i have ever read.
Also one of the saddest; the people of Congo suffers throughout that history and still do whoever is in charge...
Reality is often more surrealistic than you could ever imagine.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll check out the book

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2020, 05:37:54 am »

Ivo, your work is far removed from the 'camera club' and of course all the better for it. Choice of content is key and elevates the work above and beyond the confines of recreation and decoration all too often seen here.                         

You're a breath of fresh air, don't let the buggers grind you down.

;-)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2020, 06:28:54 am »

Ivo, your work is far removed from the 'camera club' and of course all the better for it. Choice of content is key and elevates the work above and beyond the confines of recreation and decoration all too often seen here.                         

You're a breath of fresh air, don't let the buggers grind you down.

;-)

Absolutely!!!!

Peter

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2020, 06:48:46 am »

Keith, Peter,

Thanks.......

Really thanks.

Ivo

:)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2020, 06:58:55 am »

I look forward to seeing where you take us.

Peter

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2020, 09:27:36 am »

earlier today I went through all the images posted so far. I think it’s very interesting. I find a series of images with a narrative much more rewarding to go through than individual images. Also more challenging to shoot. I hope to see more and watch this project develop.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up