Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting the highest negative scan quality for under for under 10K  (Read 3689 times)

Paul_Roark

Re: Getting the highest negative scan quality for under for under 10K
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2019, 08:05:30 pm »

Do you see a noticeable difference with the pixel shift in a copying setting? 

Thanks,

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

To answer my own question, I did a copy (two frames to cover an 2 1/4 negative) and saw no significant difference in quality between the Sony a7r2 and the a7r4 pixel shifted.  The original negative appears to be the limiting factor in the image quality, not the Sony 2-frame copy.  The lens is the Canon 100 L macro.  As such, I'll continue to dedicate the r2 to this function (and backup), and keep the r4 in the camera case. 

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

nikonf

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2019, 08:49:37 pm »

Hello everyone,

This is a Great thread and I see many excellent resolutions to the scanning of slides and negatives.

I have a Pentax K-1 camera which has pixel shift. Would anyone know if I could adapt a macro lens for use with this camera? I would like to copy my best 35mm slides from the last 30 years.

Nikon makes two slide copy adapters that screw into the filter threads of their 60mm macro lens. They are the ES-1 and ES-2.

I have a Zeiss Milvus 50mm Macro lens in Canon EOS mount and a Pentax 100mm Macro lens for the K-1.

I also have an old Nikon Micro 60mm f2.8 D lens. Last option would be 50mm or 80mm Rodenstock Rodagon enlarging lenses.

I guess I have to find out if I will require a dedicated bellows or just a slide copy attachment and the necessary step-up rings.

All help and suggestions are Greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2019, 07:51:57 am »

Hello everyone,

This is a Great thread and I see many excellent resolutions to the scanning of slides and negatives.

I have a Pentax K-1 camera which has pixel shift. Would anyone know if I could adapt a macro lens for use with this camera? I would like to copy my best 35mm slides from the last 30 years.

Nikon makes two slide copy adapters that screw into the filter threads of their 60mm macro lens. They are the ES-1 and ES-2.

I have a Zeiss Milvus 50mm Macro lens in Canon EOS mount and a Pentax 100mm Macro lens for the K-1.

I also have an old Nikon Micro 60mm f2.8 D lens. Last option would be 50mm or 80mm Rodenstock Rodagon enlarging lenses.

I guess I have to find out if I will require a dedicated bellows or just a slide copy attachment and the necessary step-up rings.

All help and suggestions are Greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

I think any of the camera 24MPX and up will do for 35mm.
all lenses will probably do;
just find the most convenient setup to work.

i used  a light box on the table and used frames from my scanner to put the negative/ slides in. The camera vertical down f8-f11 .
Also i used a 35mm mask of black paper to prevent glare. ( pce 85mm nikor + extension- also used for 6x6)

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

nikonf

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2019, 11:47:33 am »

I am trying to find an adapter to use the 60mm Micro-Nikkor D on the Pentax K-1 body.

I thought this would be the easiest way to go, but it seems there are tons of options for Nikon and Canon and not many for Pentax.

I do have an old Nikon PB-5 bellows, but I don't know if I can jury-rig it up to the K-1 body.

Maybe one of you experts has an idea?

Thanks,
Mike

Peter McLennan

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2019, 03:03:07 pm »

I'm using my D800 with a 55mm F3.5 Nikkor, mounted on Nikon's bellows/rails system to digitize 35mm slides.  I can resolve film grain, so resolution's not the problem.

What I do need help with is dialling out the orange mask with colour negs.  Any experience?  Advice?  Links?

kimballistic

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2019, 03:26:30 pm »

I'm using my D800 with a 55mm F3.5 Nikkor, mounted on Nikon's bellows/rails system to digitize 35mm slides.  I can resolve film grain, so resolution's not the problem.

What I do need help with is dialling out the orange mask with colour negs.  Any experience?  Advice?  Links?

If you're a Lightroom Classic user, you might want to check out Negative Lab Pro.  It's pretty sophisticated at color negative corrections, supports a non-destructive raw workflow (but also supports negative TIFs), and generates positive 16-bit ProPhoto TIFs for further editing in LR or Photoshop.

This video shows the features introduced in the past month, and also gives you an idea of its UI.  The website above has a more general introductory video.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2019, 03:33:23 pm »

The website above has a more general introductory video.
The product may indeed work quite well but the video is filled with more than necessary "marketing BS" IMHO.  :'(
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

kimballistic

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2019, 06:09:13 pm »

The product may indeed work quite well but the video is filled with more than necessary "marketing BS" IMHO.  :'(

Fair enough.  I think he used to be in marketing, so that's understandable.  But he does have a product to sell, and it's reasonable for him to market it.

One might be able to achieve the same results in Photoshop, but with how much time and energy?  I think he's got a pretty unique product that really speeds up the negative conversion process.

I'd encourage you to download and play around with his plugin.  The free demo is limited to converting 12 negatives.  He also has 12 raw DNGs available to download as samples if you like.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2019, 07:33:13 pm »

Thanks.  That looks like a good investment, especially with the batch conversion.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up