Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sensor Ratio vs. Frame Size  (Read 341 times)

ajz

Sensor Ratio vs. Frame Size
« on: December 15, 2019, 01:22:49 pm »

Most all of my images are matted to fit 16x20 or 17 x 22 frames. My workflow involves cropping an image at the outset, not using the Print module's cell sizing in LR as some do. I crop an mage to what I feel is best even though it might not be the sensor ratio of 3:2.  Consequently, I am always having to make decisions regarding matt's borders which do not usually work out to a nice 2" or so around. I could go to 16 x 24 or 20 x 30 frames of course - but the problem would still be there. Mostly I try to encourage a customer to have the image re-matted. I cannot afford to custom matt the prints especially when I have en exhibit of 20 or so images.

So, I was wondering what is happening out there in print/matt land to accommodate images into standard frames.

Comments appreciated,

thank,

aj

BradSmith

Re: Sensor Ratio vs. Frame Size
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 01:41:05 pm »

I also crop my images so that they look their best. I don't care what the aspect ratio is. I only print/frame for myself and sell some of these already framed pieces.

General practice - I use a frame size that will give me a minimum of 2" border and the other border will be whatever it will be. (Maybe 3" minimum on larger prints). I don't concern myself with "nice 2" all the way around. 
Specific practice - I keep aluminum section frame pieces "in stock" in 2 inch increments and then use those in following the general practice above.

Brad

mearussi

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 03:20:43 pm »

I sell my prints unmatted. I used to sell with mats but out of curiosity I decided to sell both at the same time (for instance a 8x10 with mat vs 11x14 w/o matt for the same price) and found customers preferred the larger print unmatted for the same price as the smaller one matted.

This is fine with me as it saves me the labor of cutting a mat and also keeps my initial costs down since the mat usually costs more than the print. 

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 04:42:54 pm »

I recently printed a show of photographs.  All of my photographs are cropped differently, but we placed all the photographs in identical frames, printed at the same width, but differing heights.  And it all presented very well with no need to crop all the photographs for equal margins on top/bottom and sides.

My point being that I don't feel it's necessary to match the aspect ratio of the photograph to the frame. At least not most of the time :)
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

ajz

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 08:15:58 pm »

I agree with all of the above comments. I typically do not match my image to be appropriately matted to fit a 16x20 frame for example. Most galleries here, as well as comperitions require frames 16x 20 ‘s.
also, I have tried to hang images matted sans frame as well as just printed with no frame. Both have limitations as to finding a good means to do this, plus people really like to touch as well as talk close to the image! That is why museums use a glazing.

Thanks you your comment, much appreciated.

aj
Pages: [1]   Go Up