Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Apple stabbing itself in the heart?  (Read 2795 times)

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
Re: Is Apple stabbing itself in the heart?
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2020, 03:45:12 pm »

This is a tough topic. I've been a Mac tech in higher ed IT for 21 years, having first learned on Windows machines in the early '80s and Macs in the early '90s. As a visual person (photographer since 1974) I ended up gravitating toward the Mac and prefer it to this day.

I guess you can summarize by saying those of us who love the macOS are frustrated with the current hardware, and if we like the hardware, we are frustrated with the price. With Apple products you do indeed get a premier experience (except for the occasional keyboard issue and such, and maybe the OS itself it getting rushed and sloppy), but you pay the Apple Tax to participate.

Also, Apple does push the envelope in terms of moving forward with technology (tough love?). At this point none of us miss the floppy disk or CD/DVD drive, right? But the disappearance of everyday connection ports is a bit much, as is the obsoleting of still viable Apple hardware by new OS restrictions.

What to do? Many people say Apple's current offerings are underpowered and overpriced. The new Mac Pro (for Pro's only, it $eems) is certainly powerful, but $5-50+K, really? I suspect very few of us here will ever own one. So unless we are dealing with business write-offs, our realistic choices are more limited. The new Mac Mini (I have tested one with Maya and it seems to perform well) still gets poor reviews for its price/performance ratio. Otherwise it might be our go-to sweet spot.

Option 1:
Some of you mentioned preferring older Macs for onboard access to ports and perhaps better used pricing. BTW, you can run Mojave (and Catalina if you dare) on 2008 and newer Macs (Google "dosdude unsupported macs"). Just last evening I updated a Mojave installation with the latest Security/Safari update on a spare 2008 17" MacBook Pro. Even with only 4 gigs of RAM and an older small SSD installed, you'd think you were surfing the web on a current computer! Imaging apps are usable as well, though of course there will be speed issues there. So don't write off your older Macs yet.

Option 2:
Buy a used recent-model Mac (let someone else pay the Apple Tax). Enjoy that reliable Mac for the rest of its useful life.

Option 3:
Some of you mentioned using VMs above. I have a Snow Leopard VM on hand should the need arise, and routinely run Windows and Linux from my Mac this way (just because I can). If you dare you can run macOS from within Windows. So there is no need to lose all your 32-bit software, even on a newer mac with Catalina.

Option 4:
Build your own. This is common in the PC world. Mac users can take the Hackintosh route (for the near future at least) and get twice the performance for half the price, so long as you don't mind getting a bit geeky. I also have a triple-boot 2011 build Hackintosh for fun (Mojave, Win10 and Deepin Linux) that I actually end up needing to use for the odd task (recovering files from Linux-formatted NAS drives, etc.).

At this point, looking ahead to when I don't get toys at work and need something of my own better than the 2013 MacBook Air I use at home, I think I would choose the Hackintosh route. That way Win10 is there, Linux is there and macOS is there – on the upgradable hardware of my choice. Second option would be a used (current model) Mac Mini for the true "Apple experience" ;-)
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

mondeo

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2020, 03:20:34 pm »

I recently acquired an older version of Imageprint that needed 10.6 snow leopard to run it on my iMac (currently Mojave) and couldn't find a way to dual boot it with an older OS.
In the end I tried parallels running Windows which installed but seemed to have problems each time you attached the dongle or printer, getting confused if they wanted to talk to the Mac or the windows installation
So looks like I am going to have to run a separate PC to get it to work

Apple have opened the door to allow Windows back in !

plugsnpixels

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2020, 03:46:23 pm »

Have you seen this?

https://www.colorbytesoftware.com/IMAGEPRINT%20FAQ%20for%20Catalina%20Update.shtml

Some cost is involved but it seems you have a way forward.

mondeo

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2020, 05:57:39 pm »

Have you seen this?

https://www.colorbytesoftware.com/IMAGEPRINT%20FAQ%20for%20Catalina%20Update.shtml

Some cost is involved but it seems you have a way forward.
I have seen this yes, unfortunately being based in the UK I would need to post the dongle to them and then back again, all costing USD 150. I also think that as my version of Imageprint is 8 then there's no upgrade path to the current ! Now this isnt really Apple's fault, however the version of the s/w does exactly what I want. I am struggling to get Colorbyte to tell me how much the upgrade will cost. If I was to buy from scratch I think I may have to pay UK duty on import and more shipping.

But Apple's policy means I cant run the older s/w on my machine.

The solution is to run a windows machine as well. Imageprint 8 is pretty efficient on memory and processor so thats the route it seems.

There is an opportunity for colorbyte to upgrade me and get the cash thats otherwise going to pay for the windows machine, but I am not sure they see it that way

plugsnpixels

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2020, 06:06:59 pm »

Here's how my SL Server VM looks while running from a Mojave computer. Of course you will need to find the SL installer and a VM host (you said you tried Parallels; VirtualBox is free) to set this up.

How are you running a Mac app under Windows? Maybe you have both versions of Imageprint?

geneo

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2020, 06:47:15 pm »

For me it is Windows for workstation and Mac for laptop. I haven't any any purpose built servers, but they would be Linux. I build my own workstation and can put together exactly what I want in performance  for much less than a mac workstation - I have complete control.  In the laptop space I think apple is on top albiet a bit expensive (but you get what you pay for I think - can't say that for Apple workstation or Windows laptop IMO).

One thing I really like about MacOS is that it is Unix based, for which I am fluent,  and I can script a lot in Unix shells.  Microsoft is catching up, though their Linux subsystem isn't as well integrated yet.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 06:52:22 pm by geneo »
Walk softly and carry a big lens
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up