Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ink stains on Epson 3880  (Read 587 times)

mrcmrc

Ink stains on Epson 3880
« on: December 11, 2019, 04:41:54 am »

Hi all,
it has been a while since I used my Epson 3880 that some prints are stained with ink drops. I have already performed the various cleanings in the printer utilities. Nonetheless, stains, fortunately not in all prints, happen. Do you have any advice?

Thanks,
- Marco.

Conner999

Re: Ink stains on Epson 3880
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 07:11:19 am »

The capping station, 'wipers' and area needs cleaning with swabs and fluid. The pads that the head sits on that drains ink down onto the maintenance cart may also be clogged with dried ink.

Hit Google and look up 'cleaning Epson 3800' and there are videos that walk thru it. You'll need long swabs, a long syringe and Windex >with ammonia<.  It's not complex.

When cleaning, remove the maintenance cartridge and slide some paper towels or a sanitary napkin into the maint cart slot to soak up ink/ammonia and see if it is draining ok.   

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 08:39:37 am »

Did you initiate a MK -> PK change (or the other way around).  If the ink spots appeared after doing this it's indicative of a failed switch valve.  It that's the case you need to repair it.  This is what happened with my 3880 earlier this year.  there are some instructions on-line about how to do this but it requires care.  I elected to buy a new printer as most of my inks were low and would need to be replaced in addition to buying the parts to repair the printer. 

Lessbones

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 01:39:20 pm »

Every 3800/3880 I've ever used eventually has this problem with the ink switcher-- basically you have to stop using the PK slot and only use the MK one-- you can get a cartridge resetter and swap the chips and catridges around if you want to use PK only, or you can go through the process Alan mentioned if you need to have both working.  But as long as you're on the PK setting you're gonna have leakage onto the page during every print.

mrcmrc

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 02:55:29 am »

Thanks! I'll search these videos and try the clean process.

- Marco.

The capping station, 'wipers' and area needs cleaning with swabs and fluid. The pads that the head sits on that drains ink down onto the maintenance cart may also be clogged with dried ink.

Hit Google and look up 'cleaning Epson 3800' and there are videos that walk thru it. You'll need long swabs, a long syringe and Windex >with ammonia<.  It's not complex.

When cleaning, remove the maintenance cartridge and slide some paper towels or a sanitary napkin into the maint cart slot to soak up ink/ammonia and see if it is draining ok.

mrcmrc

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 02:57:10 am »

No Alan, this is happening while printing a series of A2 sheet all using PK, I'm no switching.

However thanks for the info on possible future issues!

- Marco.

Did you initiate a MK -> PK change (or the other way around).  If the ink spots appeared after doing this it's indicative of a failed switch valve.  It that's the case you need to repair it.  This is what happened with my 3880 earlier this year.  there are some instructions on-line about how to do this but it requires care.  I elected to buy a new printer as most of my inks were low and would need to be replaced in addition to buying the parts to repair the printer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up