Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Little problem... Is it ok to let a p7000 sit for a while with clogged nozzles?  (Read 392 times)

John V.

I own a (well maintained) p7000. I've recently run out of almost every ink and I don't have the funds to replace them all. Nozzle checks are starting to show a lot of clogs. I won't be able to run head cleanings because most inks will run out soon.

Is ts going to be OK to let the machine sit with clogged nozzles for a while? I'm not sure when I'll be able to afford 10 new ink carts...

Thanks for any info

BrianWJH

Define 'a while', the longer you leave it with already clogged nozzles the harder it will be to clear clogged nozzles, you could cover the printer in a large plastic bag and seal a container of water in the bag to increase the humidity.

The best solution is to either purchase the inks required or alternately purchase refillable carts and and a head maintenace solution like Inkjet Mall Piezoflush and fill the printer with Piezoflush until you can afford the inks.

Check eBay for almost out of date ink which is better than no ink.
Brian.

I.T. Supplies

Using 3rd party ink will require flushing the OEM inks out and using them.  Than going through the process again to install the OEM inks, so you're technically wasting more ink and money all together.  The head repair (out of warranty) is pretty costly and 3rd party manufacturer's don't make their ink exactly like OEM in which could damage the head quicker.

If you won't be able to get inks for some time, turn off the printer, cover it and unplug from the back so no current is going through it.  An electric current can make the head act like a magnet and when dust and what not gets attracted to the metal in the head, will cause the nozzles to clog (one reason).  Otherwise, it's the temp (to a degree).  If you leave the printer on and change the timing feature from the 60 hours defaulted at, this will help the printer maintain itself better.  The timer feature was integrated in the P series and has been doing a good job so far (per our customer reviews).

So, turn off the printer, unplug the power from back and cover with a sheet or something similar and you should be ok until you get new inks; if that makes sense.

deanwork

I always keep my capping station damp Even in normal working times which keeps them from drying out, warping and loosing the tight contact with head and nozzles. I put distilled water on the cap pads every week with q tips or lint free cotton  cloth, especially when it isn’t being used. But do that with the printer unplugged.

When you first turn it on and the head moves out of right position, you can open the with distilled water, and then unplug the printer, dampen the cap assembly, carefully, and move the head back on it. Turn it back on and let it do one quick auto clean then turn it off again. My capping assembly is 7 years old and and the tech said it looks like new.

Recently I broke a belt and left it unused for four months just did this and when belt was replaced it fired right up. I also tied a plastic bag around the head cap assembly. Some people put a small cup of water inside the printer or a damp sponge. Just don’t leave that touching metal which can rust. Dried out print heads and cap stations is what kills half the Epsons out there. That and head strikes.

John

Using 3rd party ink will require flushing the OEM inks out and using them.  Than going through the process again to install the OEM inks, so you're technically wasting more ink and money all together.  The head repair (out of warranty) is pretty costly and 3rd party manufacturer's don't make their ink exactly like OEM in which could damage the head quicker.

If you won't be able to get inks for some time, turn off the printer, cover it and unplug from the back so no current is going through it.  An electric current can make the head act like a magnet and when dust and what not gets attracted to the metal in the head, will cause the nozzles to clog (one reason).  Otherwise, it's the temp (to a degree).  If you leave the printer on and change the timing feature from the 60 hours defaulted at, this will help the printer maintain itself better.  The timer feature was integrated in the P series and has been doing a good job so far (per our customer reviews).

So, turn off the printer, unplug the power from back and cover with a sheet or something similar and you should be ok until you get new inks; if that makes sense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up