Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Most Precarious Physical Standpoint for a Photograph  (Read 1733 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Your Most Precarious Physical Standpoint for a Photograph
« on: November 24, 2019, 09:56:24 am »

Let’s start with an ad I saw:

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: Your Most Precarious Physical Standpoint for a Photograph
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 10:35:40 am »

Standing next to a cow in India moments before she head butted me, effectively restricting my movement and activities for a week.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 11:11:52 am »

Let’s start with an ad I saw:

Hmm. I always have at the back of my mind the vague idea that I'd quite like to be around for the post-processing.

Jeremy

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 02:45:16 pm »

The guy who took that picture knew where to stand not that other idiot.  :)

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 02:53:21 pm »

They guy is using a long lens, so the perspective wouldn't change much if he moved a few meters to safety. This takes away the impact of the ad for me.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 03:58:33 pm »

They guy is using a long lens, so the perspective wouldn't change much if he moved a few meters to safety.

Earlier today I started writing this exact take that you have posted. For this reason, I believe this perhaps in a composite photo...

Peter
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:38:45 am by petermfiore »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 05:59:10 pm »

Although, in this case I think we'd all agree that his long lens photographs better. :)

degrub

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 10:02:34 pm »

Earlier today I started writing this exact take that you have posted. For this reason, I believe this perhaps in an composite photo...

Peter

Yeah, that or someone was really heavy with the sharpening and the compression exaggerated it.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 08:19:22 am »

Standing on the parapet of a skyscraper to photograph another skyscraper.   

In my defense, it was not windy and the parapet was rather wide, but security sure looked uneasy. 

Another, standing at the edge of a sloped roof that had no parapet to photography another skyscraper.  This building was only 4 stories with a couple ledges underneath, so I am pretty sure I would have survived if I fell. 

I also had my first insurance company cancel on me since they prefer not to insure professionals who knowingly put their equipment in precarious situations.  When I told my current company that for what, they just laughed and said they have photographers who put themselves in much worse situations. 

Not so precarious, but awkward and embarrassing at the same.  I have to access a lot of roofs for what I do and one time I needed to get on the roof of a hospital just outside of DC.  It was a rather hot day in the summer and the head of construction for the hospital was a fit attractive woman in her mid-30s who decided to wear a short skirt to work that day.  To be honest, I did not think about what she was wearing until she climbed up the 15 foot ladder to unlock the roof hatch.  I followed behind her and naturally looked up, and then proceeded to climb a ladder looking straight ahead.  I had no plans on mentioning anything, but I guess she noticed how I was climbing, decided to bring it up and, in so many words, apologized for wearing a skirt. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:43:08 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 10:52:00 am »

Not so precarious, but awkward and embarrassing at the same.  I have to access a lot of roofs for what I do and one time I needed to get on the roof of a hospital just outside of DC.  It was a rather hot day in the summer and the head of construction for the hospital was a fit attractive woman in her mid-30s who decided to wear a short skirt to work that day.  To be honest, I did not think about what she was wearing until she climbed up the 15 foot ladder to unlock the roof hatch.  I followed behind her and naturally looked up, and then proceeded to climb a ladder looking straight ahead.  I had no plans on mentioning anything, but I guess she noticed how I was climbing, decided to bring it up and, in so many words, apologized for wearing a skirt.

Just had to do it....nice beaver...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvWfbIe4X_4

For me, its hanging out the side of Helicopters and on perches high above a boats deck, shooting moving boats.  Worst ever, on my first time ever in the perch which was a 3'x3' railed affair I hung the battery pack for the gyro on one of the top rails.  After a run I told the boat driver to slow, and and he did my completely pulling the throttle back to zero from a high speed run.  Needless to say the battery pack swung outward from the slowing of the boat and then swung backwards toward me.  Not paying attention to the battery and trying to stablize myself the battery hit me in a most sensitive spot.   Not the finest start.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 10:58:29 am by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 10:53:55 am »

I often photograph near cliff edges on the SW coast of Portugal. When trying to reach particular locations that afford great views, or new views, I am always careful, and never push my luck.

There are a couple of locations that I only go to when there is no wind, or the wind is not strong.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 11:04:34 am »

The most dangerous time for me is whenever I stop the car to get out and photograph something after I told my wife I wouldn't stop the car to photograph something. 

degrub

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 01:44:29 pm »

a fall from 6 ft is high enough to result in a fatality. >:(

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2019, 01:53:40 pm »

I'm pretty cowardly.
My most precarious situation was probably photographing the South Rim of the Grand Canyon from about 12 feet from the edge on a perfectly calm day.   :(

The good news is: I'm still here to tell about it!   :)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2019, 06:44:33 pm »

I'm pretty cowardly.
My most precarious situation was probably photographing the South Rim of the Grand Canyon from about 12 feet from the edge on a perfectly calm day.   :(

You know I took shots from there, but a little closer.   Also in Canyonlands especially by the rim of Dead Horse Point.  There were no barriers and I have to tell you I was nervous and leaned backwards just in case some mysterious force grabbed me and pulled me to the cliff.  Driving the roads in the southwest often with no barriers by the cliffs also made me feel uneasy.  Deserts seem more to my liking.   When you fall, you fall on sand.  :)

Dead Horse State Park - Canyonlands, Utah by Alan Klein, on Flickr

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 06:49:04 pm »

I'm pretty cowardly.

Eric,
I could never that close. Not for any amount of money, no how...

Peter

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 07:28:16 pm »

This guy on a motorcycle:

https://youtu.be/dgMpxIpoV8c

Peter McLennan

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2019, 10:27:28 pm »

Unbelievable.

I rode backwards on a motorcycle once, shooting a bicycle race.  But I had somebody in front, riding it. :(

davidedric

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2019, 12:26:11 pm »

Canoeing past a pod of hippos on the Zambezi.  Rule is, if you're tipped over by a hippo head for the bank, if it's a croc hang onto the canoe.  Just need to bear that in mind as you hit the water.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2019, 04:03:13 pm »

Canoeing past a pod of hippos on the Zambezi.  Rule is, if you're tipped over by a hippo head for the bank, if it's a croc hang onto the canoe.  Just need to bear that in mind as you hit the water.
Do the hippo and croc know these rules?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up