Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Affinity Photo  (Read 1496 times)

drmike

• On Flickr:
Affinity Photo
« on: November 23, 2019, 03:37:39 am »

Have any users of Affinity who migrated from Photoshop come across any unexpected gotchas?

Printing was one that was nearly a killer as I use the Canon Print Studio Pro plug in which doesn't work with Affinity. However, I have a perpetual license for Lightroom and I can save as TIFF, load into LR and print that way. Faffy but I don't print that many shots.

Otherwise it seems an OK program. I'm running Windows 7 and hence the latest PS updates cannot be used.

Thanks

Mike

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Affinity Photo
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 08:12:09 am »

Have any users of Affinity who migrated from Photoshop come across any unexpected gotchas?
I was using it when I was still on Win 8.1.  My Nikon Z6 was not supported by the stand alone version of LR and when I upgraded to the subscription version, I was forced into Win 10.  Because the subscription version included PS, I went back to using the Adobe program for editing purposes.  I never printed out of Affinity, preferring LR.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 12:01:22 pm »

I use it, but I have never printed from it, I usually use Qimage to print. I really don't use it all that much. Capture One does most everything well. I also use On1 photo raw, the latest version is significantly better, so I have never looked back to Adobe since I left LR6 and CS6.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 12:07:46 pm »

I use it, but I have never printed from it, I usually use Qimage to print. I really don't use it all that much. Capture One does most everything well. I also use On1 photo raw, the latest version is significantly better, so I have never looked back to Adobe since I left LR6 and CS6.
Alan
I did not like the raw conversion... is it as good as LR you think?
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 12:40:01 pm »

Thanks guys. All helpful.

I shoot Fuji and have used PS and Nik RAW processor and been very happy. I'm less happy to be paying for upgrades I can't use.

I processed one RAW file in PS and Affinity and printed both out. If anything the Affinity one was better.

I have processed a number of RAW files now and I was worried that the RAW processing especially sharpening might not be that good but it looks fine.

I don't like the Affinity perspective correction tools which I use a lot in PS but I expect I'll work something out.

I'm just wondering if there any other bits and bobs that are awkward to use.

Mike

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 04:36:22 am »

I was worried that the RAW processing especially sharpening might not be that good but it looks fine.
The issue is that if you've used a particular bit of software for RAW conversion for a long time you not only become fast and proficient in using it, but you also get used to a certain look of output. Switching to a different package that will have different defaults and tools will take a while to get the same proficiency, initially the look may be different and it can take a degree of objectivity to decide if you're achieving a better end result.

I don't like the Affinity perspective correction tools which I use a lot in PS but I expect I'll work something out.
I'm just wondering if there any other bits and bobs that are awkward to use.
Again practice and familiarity may change 'awkward' to 'different'

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 04:41:28 am »

You are, of course, correct. Although in the case of the perspective control I suspect Affinity may lack the sophistication of PS.

So far I'm doing OK. I seem to be getting similar results to PS and my usual tools in a different way.

I'm optimistic. I don't like change for the sake of change but I am no longer getting the same benefits as I did from Adobe.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 09:36:49 am »

You are, of course, correct. Although in the case of the perspective control I suspect Affinity may lack the sophistication of PS.

I'm wondering about that. Why do you prefer PS?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 09:46:20 am »

This is a little embarrassing. If in doubt I just go into the bit of PS or Bridge that does the vertical corrections etc. and click the auto correct and things just get sorted out. If I don't like the results then I try just vertical, or just horizontal or at worst I think you can set two lines that it should use. I never said I wasn't lazy.

I don't seem to have this in Affinity.

It is possible sophistication was the wrong word :)

Mike

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 10:59:04 am »

This is a little embarrassing. If in doubt I just go into the bit of PS or Bridge that does the vertical corrections etc. and click the auto correct and things just get sorted out. If I don't like the results then I try just vertical, or just horizontal or at worst I think you can set two lines that it should use. I never said I wasn't lazy.

I don't seem to have this in Affinity.

It is possible sophistication was the wrong word :)

No problem, and I agree that automatic ("UpRight") Keystone correction would be nice.

But that would be a feature request, and nobody is stopping us to ask for that on the Affinity forum  ;)

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 01:59:23 pm »

From what I see they do react to requests, it's a better program since I last tried it 2 years ago.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 09:00:27 am »

I did not like the raw conversion... is it as good as LR you think?

I am not sure what program you are referring to, I generally use Capture One or On1 for the raw conversion. The latest of On1 is not bad, C1 gives the best if I need to nit-pick. In general I use Affinity after raw conversion.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up