Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Book pages - Using a fixative and/or varnish?  (Read 789 times)

NeilB_010

Book pages - Using a fixative and/or varnish?
« on: November 13, 2019, 06:32:59 am »

Hello everyone. First time poster here!

Recently I have been learning bookbinding and now I am looking at making some photobooks using inkjet printed pages.  I am hoping to use some matte papers although I haven’t settled on the exact ones yet - possibly something like Canson Photographique Rag or an alpha cellulose alternative. 

There are some companies already offering inkjet printed books but they come with a long list of handling advice.  Needless to say, I am keen to make sure that any book that I make is as robust and as useable as possible.  This has led me to trying out Hahnemühle Protective Spray on some test sheets and it does seem to somewhat help prevent the ink rubbing off but it doesn’t do much for scratches etc.

So now I’m wondering if there is something stronger and more resistant than the Hahnemühle that could be used in a book without fear of the pages sticking together and also being flexible enough not to flake off the pages when they are opened.

For example, I have seen the Lascaux range of acrylic varnishes but am unsure if these types of varnish could be used for a book. I’ve asked Lascaux about this as well and they recommended their UV Protect spray cans (2072 - 2074) and that the pages shouldn’t stick together or crack but they can’t guarantee it 100%.  They suggest I test it first. 

I will conduct my own tests but am wondering if anyone has experience of spraying book pages with Lascaux varnishes or any other similar products to increase durability? 

Thanks,

Neil

mearussi

Re: Book pages - Using a fixative and/or varnish?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 05:13:04 pm »

The problem is you're using a matte paper which is easily damaged by handling. You can help that to some extent by spraying any of the three varnishes like Moab, Hahnemuhle and Print Shield but you need to apply at least three light coats to offer any degree of mechanical and water protection. BTW, 100% cotton paper is much more flexible than Alpha-Cellulose (which is like a thin cardboard) and so would make better book pages unless you're planning on making your book using a spiral binder.

Now if you were using a luster RC paper you wouldn't have the same problem as it's pretty tough and fingerprint resistant. Unfortunately, there aren't too many double sided luster papers.

NeilB_010

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 02:14:27 pm »

The problem is you're using a matte paper which is easily damaged by handling. You can help that to some extent by spraying any of the three varnishes like Moab, Hahnemuhle and Print Shield but you need to apply at least three light coats to offer any degree of mechanical and water protection. BTW, 100% cotton paper is much more flexible than Alpha-Cellulose (which is like a thin cardboard) and so would make better book pages unless you're planning on making your book using a spiral binder.

Now if you were using a luster RC paper you wouldn't have the same problem as it's pretty tough and fingerprint resistant. Unfortunately, there aren't too many double sided luster papers.

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated.  Will continue trying the Hahnemühle spray to see how it goes with at least 3 coats.  The only thing that concerns me is if the more you put on the more chance there is of it flaking off later.

I did wonder about using an RC paper like you suggest and I did manage to find a couple of samples to try.  My problem is that my hands are quite warm and I found the RC paper would almost stick to my fingers.  They are much more durable though. 

Each path seems to have its own issues!

mearussi

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 03:39:11 am »

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated.  Will continue trying the Hahnemühle spray to see how it goes with at least 3 coats.  The only thing that concerns me is if the more you put on the more chance there is of it flaking off later.

I did wonder about using an RC paper like you suggest and I did manage to find a couple of samples to try.  My problem is that my hands are quite warm and I found the RC paper would almost stick to my fingers.  They are much more durable though. 

Each path seems to have its own issues!
You should spray the RC paper as well to seal the microporous coating to protect it from air contaminants like ozone.  This will also help with your sticky finger problem. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up