Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon imaging division in trouble  (Read 9402 times)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: Nikon imaging division in trouble
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2019, 06:38:27 am »

I used to feel that I had holdings in Nikon, Hasselblad 500 series and Rolex.

And I chose my words above carefully, too. Those three items are/were far more than just stuff you use to make snaps and tell the time. When you were at a particular level in your career - or at least en route to getting to where you felt your personal glass ceiling might hang suspended, those items became visible signifiers to clients that you took the job seriously, had achieved a certain level of success, and that they could feel relatively comfortable spending a few score grand with you. Worked for me. The thing about it is this: nobody asks you about your watch, but they notice, especially if they, too, are wearing one. It's perhaps akin to being blonde and having a beautiful face and a great figure, if you see what I mean. It just is.

Today, the 'blads are no more and the Nikons sit pretty much neglected, and the Rolex was stolen in October.

Quite apart from the fact that I am now retired, the watch will never be replaced by another of equal status if only because I find that kind of money too much for me to spend - no longer an investment at this time of life. It has lost its third-party significance now, because after losing my wife I retreated into a fairly solitary world of photography and music appreciation. For me, the Jones no longer exist.

You might be forgiven for believing that going way, way downmarket in the watch replacement saga might prove a simplification of life. Far from it. The new one arrived yesterday by scooter and cellphone call, and I must say, it's a handsome beast, but unfortunately, it arrived with a tease: the steel band (wrist) is huge! I have made an appointment with a friendly old jeweller that I have known for decades - an Italian, which gets my vote - and tomorrow, short of further glitches, links will be removed and I will be able to wear the thing. He suggested I wear longer sleeves this time.

;-(

These days I want to be as anonymous as possible. Rather ironically, easily done with a Leica M in hand. Thankfully no one knew what they were, commented on them or took them at all seriously. Just old fashioned, little, amateur cameras: bliss.

It remains to be seen what the reactions to the Nikon Zs are - everyone knows about Nikon - with similar size bodies to the Leicas but more in-your-face lenses. Are they going to scare the natives? Are they going to attract unwanted attention? Time will tell.

Watches, the only time I wear one is when flying, it cost virtually nothing and was the least bling watch I could find.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 07:23:51 am by KLaban »

Rob C

« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2019, 10:26:36 am »

These days I want to be as anonymous as possible. Rather ironically, easily done with a Leica M in hand. Thankfully no one knew what they were, commented on them or took them at all seriously. Just old fashioned, little, amateur cameras: bliss.

It remains to be seen what the reactions to the Nikon Zs are - everyone knows about Nikon - with similar size bodies to the Leicas but more in-your-face lenses. Are they going to scare the natives? Are they going to attract unwanted attention? Time will tell.

Watches, the only time I wear one is when flying, it cost virtually nothing and was the least bling watch I could find.

Leicas were the first real cameras that I became aware of as a kid. Thanks to the pages of various US magazines that eventually appeared in India, I saw their, and also Nikon and Canon ads, at a time when I was still wondering what f meant in front of a lens. I think that Leica must have struck me as being beautiful - as it was the early 50s, I guess I may have been seduced by 111F or 111G machines? It was exactly the same with the Rolex: I fell into instant love with the first Sub that I ever saw; it was on the wrist of a photographer who turned up to work one morning at the industrial unit where I was spending my formative years in our art. (He had lived in Switzerland for a while and I was never sure what had brought him down to common or garden employment, and of course, I was never going to ask.) That first impression was to remain with me for the rest of my days: as with the rangefinders, the best, most beautiful bits of industrial design on my planet. I honestly can't share your opinion on either object as being bling. I can share that view regarding the replacement, the Invicta, for I'm sure its sole raison d'être is to be a fake Sub. I feel I have a right to exclude myself from membership of the fakers club. I just like the design concept so much I'm unwilling to let go. ;-)

The few weeks without a watch have left me feeling naked. It is an essential companion. Even with nothing to do and no particular place to go, it is imperative that one remain informed of where the day is going. And when the next pills are due.

When I was an unwilling scout, there was a story going the rounds that a watch could serve as a compass. I never quite figured out how that worked; anybody else heard that story and know the answer as to how - or if - it works?

Rob

KLaban

« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2019, 12:25:14 pm »

Leicas were the first real cameras that I became aware of as a kid. Thanks to the pages of various US magazines that eventually appeared in India, I saw their, and also Nikon and Canon ads, at a time when I was still wondering what f meant in front of a lens. I think that Leica must have struck me as being beautiful - as it was the early 50s, I guess I may have been seduced by 111F or 111G machines? It was exactly the same with the Rolex: I fell into instant love with the first Sub that I ever saw; it was on the wrist of a photographer who turned up to work one morning at the industrial unit where I was spending my formative years in our art. (He had lived in Switzerland for a while and I was never sure what had brought him down to common or garden employment, and of course, I was never going to ask.) That first impression was to remain with me for the rest of my days: as with the rangefinders, the best, most beautiful bits of industrial design on my planet. I honestly can't share your opinion on either object as being bling. I can share that view regarding the replacement, the Invicta, for I'm sure its sole raison d'être is to be a fake Sub. I feel I have a right to exclude myself from membership of the fakers club. I just like the design concept so much I'm unwilling to let go. ;-)

The few weeks without a watch have left me feeling naked. It is an essential companion. Even with nothing to do and no particular place to go, it is imperative that one remain informed of where the day is going. And when the next pills are due.

When I was an unwilling scout, there was a story going the rounds that a watch could serve as a compass. I never quite figured out how that worked; anybody else heard that story and know the answer as to how - or if - it works?

Rob

I never thought of either Hasselblad or Leica as being bling, merely tools.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 01:04:22 pm by KLaban »

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2019, 02:57:23 pm »

ask.)

Rob

It works — within a reasonable margin of error. Hold the watch horizontal and point the hour hand at the sun. Half way between the hour hand and the twelve o'clock mark on your watch points to the south (in the northern hemisphere). It’s not perfect, because there’s some variation depending on where in the time zone you are, but it’s accurate enough to get you out of trouble.

Oh, and you have to use standard tome, not daylight savings.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

KLaban

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2019, 03:31:40 pm »

If you are in the UK and want to know what time it is in India then simply hold your watch upside down.

Rob C

« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2019, 05:57:50 am »

It works — within a reasonable margin of error. Hold the watch horizontal and point the hour hand at the sun. Half way between the hour hand and the twelve o'clock mark on your watch points to the south (in the northern hemisphere). It’s not perfect, because there’s some variation depending on where in the time zone you are, but it’s accurate enough to get you out of trouble.

Oh, and you have to use standard tome, not daylight savings.

Just tried that, and it actually does work very well!

I know where north lies, from my terrace, because it fits a tight angle between two buildings and where I must stand. South, according to the watch, is just where it should be. This was done a few moments ago, at about 11:50 local time, so the Sun must be in the south, I guess. It will be interesting to try this later on today and see how that works out.

All these years later, courtesy you and LuLa, I have the technique!

Thanks!

Rob

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2019, 05:36:31 pm »

If you are in the UK and want to know what time it is in India then simply hold your watch upside down.

LOL! There actually is a way this works in the Southern Hemisphere, but as I’ve never been there, I don’t have a clue how it works.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

BJL

« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2019, 07:00:23 pm »

LOL! There actually is a way this works in the Southern Hemisphere, but as I’ve never been there, I don’t have a clue how it works.
Reverse everything: point 12:00 on the watch at the sun and then midway between there and the hour hand is north. Or if your only timepiece is a phone, use the compass app.

(Also, you need to stand on your head to see the man in the moon)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2019, 07:24:42 am »

I have seen a few places reporting that Sony has overtaken Nikon to claim the 2nd spot in camera sales. I don’t know if that is in terms of number of cameras shipped or revenue. I suppose no big surprise to anyone following trends in this business sector. Also doesn’t speak to profitability although Nikon has posted substantial though lower losses than was predicted. At least some good news there.

It also doesn’t mean Sony cameras are inherently superior to Nikon although Sony is my choice for several reasons.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

chez

« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2019, 09:15:16 am »

I have seen a few places reporting that Sony has overtaken Nikon to claim the 2nd spot in camera sales. I don’t know if that is in terms of number of cameras shipped or revenue. I suppose no big surprise to anyone following trends in this business sector. Also doesn’t speak to profitability although Nikon has posted substantial though lower losses than was predicted. At least some good news there.

It also doesn’t mean Sony cameras are inherently superior to Nikon although Sony is my choice for several reasons.

I just read a piece indicating Sony is No. 1 in full frame camera sales ( both mirrorless and DSLR combined. ) That's a huge feat in a relatively short period of time.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2019, 10:43:03 am »

I just read a piece indicating Sony is No. 1 in full frame camera sales ( both mirrorless and DSLR combined. ) That's a huge feat in a relatively short period of time.

I have seen this one:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/7869207001/sony-overtakes-canon-and-nikon-to-dominate-the-full-frame-camera-market-in-japan

Sony basically dominates Fixed lens, APSC, and FF categories, in Japan.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2019, 11:07:15 am »

It certainly is. I know people say that Sony was clever to move to mirrorless so quickly but in a very real sense Sony virtually created the sector. Everyone else is playing Sony’s game. Tough position for them to be in.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2019, 05:03:10 pm »

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/internet-declares-sony-the.html

Sony makes very nice mirrorless cameras and their innovation is to be praised. But as Thom clearly demonstrate, these claims are very partial. As discussed many times, these stats don’t take into account the 2 key retailers in Japan Yodobashi and Map. I have in fact never bought any photographic equipment from any of the stores they collect data from.

This being said, eye AF on the a9 II works great. I am a lot less impressed by the a7rIV that is probably just a tiny bit better than the Z7. I’ll probably sell it as soon as I find time. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 05:12:26 pm by BernardLanguillier »

chez

« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2019, 07:48:40 pm »

Sony makes very nice mirrorless cameras and their innovation is to be praised. But as Thom clearly demonstrate, these claims are very partial. As discussed many times, these stats don’t take into account the 2 key retailers in Japan Yodobashi and Map. I have in fact never bought any photographic equipment from any of the stores they collect data from.

This being said, eye AF on the a9 II works great. I am a lot less impressed by the a7rIV that is probably just a tiny bit better than the Z7. I’ll probably sell it as soon as I find time. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Every piece of news I've read about how well the Z cameras are selling have been disappointments...even coming from the horses mouth, corporate Nikon. You can slice and dice anyway you like...but can you show me some positive figures on the Z camera sales.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2019, 11:25:21 pm »

Every piece of news I've read about how well the Z cameras are selling have been disappointments...even coming from the horses mouth, corporate Nikon. You can slice and dice anyway you like...but can you show me some positive figures on the Z camera sales.

Where have I written that the Z is selling as much as Nikon hoped?

Cheers,
Bernard

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2019, 03:56:08 am »

Cheers,
Bernard

https://www.bcnretail.com/market/detail/20191124_146544.html&SAR

KLaban

« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2019, 04:13:00 am »

I have no idea about and little interest in Nikon, Canon, Sony...camera sales.

Regarding my cameras, I'm happy to report increased keepers and 99% satisfaction since switching from my previous cameras. These are my meaningful figures.

Please, get a photographic life, dears.

Rob C

« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2019, 06:29:49 am »

Regarding my cameras, I'm happy to report increased keepers and 99% satisfaction since switching from my previous cameras. These are my meaningful figures.

Keith, for many, equipment, the newer the better, is the photographic life.

This makes the continuing ability to make new new stuff essential, so the future prospects of all of these businesses is paramount.

For myself, I hope Nikon flourishes, for along with Rollei, Hasselblad, Kodak and Ilford, I feel I owe them all my career. I feel a romantic attachment, even. Not that I have any wish to buy anything from any of them anymore.

;-)

KLaban

« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2019, 08:25:53 am »

Rob, as a former Hasselblad and Leica user I'm quite used to the naysayers and to the purveyors of impending doom: bless 'em.

;-)

chez

« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2019, 08:56:55 am »

If you don't care...why are you reading and in fact posting to a thread to do with camera sales?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up