Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Book from different file types  (Read 626 times)

rabanito

Book from different file types
« on: November 10, 2019, 04:12:37 pm »

Hi

I have prepared a book in LR.
Some images are raw, some .tif after being processed in PS, some are .jpg from both a camera and a smart phone.
Some are 8- some 16-bit.
All were post processed to some degree. I am satisfied that they look balanced.

Is there anything about profiles, color depth or whatever I should be aware of before sending the book to Blurb?
Any conversions?
Or is everything taken care of by LR?

Thanks

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Book from different file types
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 10:56:20 am »

No, nothing.

Before committing yourself to great expense I would suggest ordering a small version of the book, maybe with just the most high key images and those with lots of shadows.

rabanito

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 12:44:12 pm »

Before committing yourself to great expense I would suggest ordering a small version of the book, maybe with just the most high key images and those with lots of shadows.

That's a good idea.
Thanks fo the comments, John

leuallen

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 03:22:39 pm »

Check out Mixbook. I have had good results from them. They run frequent specials that save some money. Don't know how they compare pricewise with Blurb. I used them after reading a lot of unflattering things about Blurb quality. Not affiliated with them just a satisfied customer.

Larry

rabanito

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 06:12:48 pm »

Check out Mixbook. I have had good results from them. ...

Larry

I'll take a look at that. Thank you Larry

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 06:57:55 pm »

I have prepared a book in LR.
Some images are raw, some .tif after being processed in PS, some are .jpg from both a camera and a smart phone. . . .

Is there anything about profiles, color depth or whatever I should be aware of before sending the book to Blurb?
Any conversions?
Or is everything taken care of by LR?

Unless something has changed, my recollection is that Blurb's only available profile requires a CMYK separation, so if you want to soft-proof your images, I think you will need to do it in Photoshop.

Seems like a good idea.  My experience is that getting the colors you want when submitting images from Lightroom to Blurb involves a bit of a crap-shoot.

This seems to me that it ought to be a fixable problem, but, admittedly, I'm no expert in color management.  (You might try querying Andrew Rodney.)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 09:15:31 am »

Unless something has changed, my recollection is that Blurb's only available profile requires a CMYK separation, so if you want to soft-proof your images, I think you will need to do it in Photoshop.

It's a single profile that is supposed to represent all their papers, on all their printers at various subcontractors around the world. That's not ideal.

My experience is that getting the colors you want when submitting images from Lightroom to Blurb involves a bit of a crap-shoot.

That's exactly why I suggest a small test book before spending much, and why I mention the types of photos which I think are most vulnerable. Because I found they are easily blocked up by Blurb, I focus especially on lifting and revealing detail in heavy shadow areas. Once you've printed and reviewed one or two books through them, I think you're in pretty good, if imperfect, shape to produce further books through them without making more "hard proofs".

John

Peter McLennan

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 01:10:16 pm »

I'm preparing my fourth Blurb book currently. The last two were 100-plus pages epics.  :) 

I take no heroic measures other than ensuring that the images look okay in sRGB on my screen.  It so, the images will print fine.  I do normally ensure that there are no large areas of dark shadows. Occasionally, my attempts at pre-print contrast reduction go too far and are visible on the page. I'm a fairly critical viewer, with lots of experience with my own large format printers.

I use the "large landscape" format, the highest quality lustre media and the "hard bound with dust cover" production criteria. Within reasonable limits, it's WYSIWYG.

While we all want the best possible reproduction of our work, I think it's useful to remember that Blurb et al are not part of a fine art reproduction workflow.  Their process is aimed at high-level consumers. Each time I've opened a new book, my reaction has been the same: delight.  All the the failures I've seen in my books so far have been mine.

That said, designing, writing and photographing your own coffee table book is an extremely satisfying outlet for creatives.  It tests every aspect of your skill-set.
Pages: [1]   Go Up