Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rather strange behavior between Lightroom and Photoshop  (Read 441 times)

Byron Will

• Fine Art Landscape and Nature Photography by Byron John Will
Rather strange behavior between Lightroom and Photoshop
« on: November 09, 2019, 12:27:05 pm »

I've been doing this procedure for years without a problem, until now. My images in my Lightroom catalog are stored on an external drive. I use Edit in... to export a raw file from Lightroom to Photoshop. After working on the file, I save and close the file in Photoshop, and it does not appear in Lightroom. It always did before. Sorting is not the issue.

The new tif file has been saved back to the correct folder on my external drive, but I have to use Synchronize Folder in the Library to get the new tif file to appear in Lightroom. Also, strangely, Lightroom generates a folder on my local drive (Mac HD) which shows up in the Lightroom Folders panel that is the exact name of the folder of the file I was working on resides, and this folder has one file with a question mark with a "lost" file in it and no preview. Lightroom is looking for this "missing" file in Documents!

Very strange behavior. Never heard or seen anything like it. Can't find anyone else having this problem.

Using an iMac/Mohave 10.14.6. Lighroom 8.4.1, Photoshop 20.0.7

Any thoughts?

pflower

Re: Rather strange behavior between Lightroom and Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 06:24:16 pm »

Well I have never had the new folder problem.  But I have struggled with the export and re-import from LR to PS and back for several years - well before I upgraded to Mojave.  I have always kept my version of LR up to date.  Sometimes it simply refuses to recognise a tiff imported from PS (after editing the raw file via edit with.. from LR) even though PS has correctly saved it in the same folder as the original Raw file.  And indeed LR has marked the original Raw file as being "2 of 2" or "1 of 2".  But the new tiff simply isn't there.  Going to the folder where the original and tiff now reside and synchronising doesn't help me at all. I have to quit LR and restart = then the new tiff is recognised and has all the keywords from the Raw file.

Sometimes this happens regularly, sometimes weeks can go by without it happening and then it happens every time for a week or so. 

Hugely annoying.  But it is an inconsistent bug which I can't find any explanation for.  But I don't think it is connected to Mojave, since I have experienced this with at least 2 previous OS versions.

I've been doing this procedure for years without a problem, until now. My images in my Lightroom catalog are stored on an external drive. I use Edit in... to export a raw file from Lightroom to Photoshop. After working on the file, I save and close the file in Photoshop, and it does not appear in Lightroom. It always did before. Sorting is not the issue.

The new tif file has been saved back to the correct folder on my external drive, but I have to use Synchronize Folder in the Library to get the new tif file to appear in Lightroom. Also, strangely, Lightroom generates a folder on my local drive (Mac HD) which shows up in the Lightroom Folders panel that is the exact name of the folder of the file I was working on resides, and this folder has one file with a question mark with a "lost" file in it and no preview. Lightroom is looking for this "missing" file in Documents!

Very strange behavior. Never heard or seen anything like it. Can't find anyone else having this problem.

Using an iMac/Mohave 10.14.6. Lighroom 8.4.1, Photoshop 20.0.7

Any thoughts?
Pages: [1]   Go Up