Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 Versions of Photoshop in Adobe Creative Cloud App  (Read 639 times)

pwatkins

2 Versions of Photoshop in Adobe Creative Cloud App
« on: November 05, 2019, 05:33:54 pm »

I have the $10/month Photoshop and Lightroom subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud.  The Creative Cloud app now shows 2 "Photoshop" entries in the "Installed" section (and 2 "Bridge" entries also).

On the first Photoshop entry, the "Ps" icon has rounded corners; the upper-right corner shows the word "New"; the description is "Create beautiful graphics, photos and art anywhere."; there is an "Update" button in the lower-right corner.

On the 2nd, the "Ps" icon has square corners; next to the word Photoshop is the text "v 20.0.7"; the description is ""Create beautiful graphics, photos and art" - without the word "anywhere".  This entry shows "Open" in the lower-right corner.

Pretty sure the 2nd entry represents the version of Photoshop that's installed on my system.  Question is, what does the other Photoshop entry represent?  Is that an entirely new desktop version that will replace the current one if it's installed, or something else?  There doesn't seem to be any explanation in the Adobe Creative Cloud app.

Thanks!

--Paul Watkins
Paul Watkins

Redcrown

Re: 2 Versions of Photoshop in Adobe Creative Cloud App
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 12:55:00 am »

Yes, that one with the rounded corners and the "New" icon is the new version 21 released on Nov 4. If you "Update" it you will get an entirely new install. The first step in the process is an option to remove old versions or leave them in place. The default is to leave them in place.

Adobe decided to tease us a little with some confusing words. The "new" one shows no version number. And its not an update, its a full new INSTALL. After you install, it will appear in the Creative Cloud app with the proper version number 21 showing.

So you can keep both versions running. However, Adobe as always provided only one place for Camera Raw and it is shared by all versions. Your old version will run OK but will be using the new version of Camera Raw.

Other forums are all over this and beginning to share what plugins and extensions survived.

Eric Kellerman

• Eric Kellerman Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 07:36:07 am »

If you are a Mac user running MacOS Sierra (10.12) and Photoshop v. 20, you will be invited to update to the new Camera Raw 12. But if you do, you will find it is no longer compatible with your existing PS (which you cannot upgrade to v. 21 unless you also upgrade your system to High Sierra or beyond).

Fortunately, it is not too difficult to restore your Camera Raw to version 11.4.1 at https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

Just scroll down to find the installer.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 08:11:59 am »

I wait a bit until it is sure no problems arise. There are no very special new features for me.
The content aware fill is good for people that do not much care about the content ;)
As i understand ; What the new photoshop mostly does is connect with the new iPad version...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 12:07:30 am »

I would be really interested to know why Adobe can't just upgrade the app where it sits instead of creating a whole new folder with a different name that does not work with your existing Dock, plugins and presets.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up