Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Printing software-Qimage or PrintImage by Colorbyte  (Read 1178 times)

eternal camper

Best Printing software-Qimage or PrintImage by Colorbyte
« on: November 08, 2019, 08:59:49 am »

Hi

I am buying a new 24” printer by the end of November, either a Canon P2100 or an HP Z9+, have been using LightRoom Classic on my old Epson Stylus Pro 4900, and really am looking forward to finding a printing software that will help me get the best print possible on a variety of photo papers.

Which printing software would YOU get today to give you the best prints, print after print?

stephen

aaronchan

Re: Best Printing software-Qimage or PrintImage by Colorbyte
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 10:31:28 am »

Hi

I am buying a new 24” printer by the end of November, either a Canon P2100 or an HP Z9+, have been using LightRoom Classic on my old Epson Stylus Pro 4900, and really am looking forward to finding a printing software that will help me get the best print possible on a variety of photo papers.

Which printing software would YOU get today to give you the best prints, print after print?

stephen

If you already have a spectrophotomter such as i1pro or colormunki, and you are not printing hundreds of different paper everyday, Qimage is good for you. I have been using Qimage for 9 years and can't live without it anymore. (I run a fine art lab)

If you don't have any color devices, Imageprint will saves you a lot of time for profiling or even learning how to make a good profile.

aaron

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 10:52:34 am »

What will you mainly be printing and what type of paper?  Are you doing many papers?

The RIP's are not the best option if doing photography or fine art to be honest.  They are in the expensive range for a software to work with and won't help on the color output like making a profile to match the paper would be.  RIP's are more-less to help with nesting, proofing to a fleet of printers (like Aaron) and what not.

Our suggestion is to either go with X-rite devices that will help calibrate your screen properly (if you haven't already) and depending on which device you get, can create your own profiles (if you do many papers).  The one suggestion is to do softproofing that will mimic what you see from screen on the paper you select via profile without testing it via print.  This process is pretty simple though and efficient in time.

Our color consultant doesn't recommend a RIP if you're doing photo/fine art unless you have many printers or wanting to nest easily.  You can get good quality per the profile upfront through Photoshop or Lightroom.

ImagePrint has the profiles upfront if using their BLACK version, not RED.  It's a good software that is somewhat similar to Photoshop with a little extra help on layouts/nesting.
But it depends on how much you want to spend.

Also, what would your preferred hook up between computer and printer be?  HP only allows Ethernet while Canon's has USB, Ethernet and WiFi options.

Feel free to contact us to discuss if needed.

IT Supplies

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 05:22:32 pm »

Save your money you already have some of the best printing software in Lightroom
For the money you cannot beat Lightroom. Qimage One has promise but I still always fall back on Lightroom.
The only one I would never get is ImagePrint.
Some decent qualities but just not worth the price of admission.
The price point is unrealistic for someone with a half dozen large printers. For you it may be worth it?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 06:55:03 pm by dgberg »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 11:39:32 am »

Hi

stephen

With the HP Z9+ you already have the calibration/profiling integrated for any paper today and tomorrow. Qimage Ultimate + the HP Z3200 printers delivers excellent print quality but there were/are some flaws in the interaction of QU and the HP drivers. In my opinion Mike Chaney, the QU developer went too far on the integration of the printer driver in QU's interface. It works for Canons and Epsons but for the Z3200 my last step is always a direct route to the HP PCL3 driver itself and check and OK the settings there, otherwise something can go wrong.

I  have not seen reports yet of QU + HP Z9+ workflows and whether that goes without issues. There could also be differences between the HP PCL3 (rasterdriver) and the Postscript PS3 driver on that aspect.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Pages: [1]   Go Up