Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this you, Bernard?  (Read 1416 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: Is this you, Bernard?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 01:19:40 pm »

I know it my own thing but I simply cannot imagine a use for that lens. Since it is selling so well I hope to be proven wrong by a flood of amazing images shot with the thing. And no I don’t mean lens charts and graphs nor those weird test images people persist on shooting of random ugly crap that was lying around the house and is usually badly lit.

Anyway hope does spring eternal in the human bosom does it not? Usually it’s just another triumph of optimism over experience.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 03:28:44 am »

There have always been expensive lenses, before, now, and in the future. Demand exceeding expectation - well, perhaps the latter was placed too low?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 03:47:21 pm »

On a more serious note, it does say something about the current state of the world.

Jokes aside, I am not sure how this Nikon differs from the Leica wide aperture lenses we've had for years at even higher prices (up to 12,800 US$ for the 75mm f1.25 APO or 11,300 US$ for the 50mm f0.95), or from the super tele lenses many of us have been using?

The very best has a cost and a price defined accordingly (and there is twice as much high quality glass in the Nikon lens). I know many think that you pay for the logo when buying a Leica lens, but having been using their R 180mm f2.8 APO and 280mm f4 APO for years now, I know it isn't the case (or at least this isn't only the logo). There is yet to be tele lenses besting those near infinity 15 years after their release.

If you can't imagine how the Nikon 58mm f0.95 could help you create new images, it clearly means you don't need it. ;)

People first joked about Zeiss when they release the MF Otus line, then they became considered as the very best lenses available. They have now been bested by this 58mm f0.95. Isn't that normal that the best gets better?

Most people who have shot with those lenses know that an 200m f2.0 weights 3kg, yet it's part of the kit of many portrait photographers. The next generation of 200mm f2.0 will cost around 10,000 US$. Who is going to complain about it?

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 04:48:16 am by BernardLanguillier »

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 11:10:43 am »

What does expectations mean in this context? 100? 1000? 10000?

Manoli

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 07:09:05 pm »

This one's for you, Bernard.
Paolo Roversi shooting the Cal-Pirelli 2020, to be released tomorrow evening in Verona.
I'm sure we'll never hear the end of this, 'Paolo moves from the 10x8 to Nikon' ...  ;D ;D

RobertJ

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 10:01:47 am »

The minute I read people saying that the new 58mm Noct "isn't going to sell" I KNEW it was going to be totally sold out. :)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 12:57:25 am »

Selling out is great but I wonder what that means, we have no idea how many were made. We also don’t know what the development costs were or if this remarkable lens perhaps contributed to the $95 million loss Nikon made. Not to mention the opportunity costs of making this lens instead of a 70 to 200 that loads of people are asking for.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 09:59:17 pm »

This one's for you, Bernard.
Paolo Roversi shooting the Cal-Pirelli 2020, to be released tomorrow evening in Verona.
I'm sure we'll never hear the end of this, 'Paolo moves from the 10x8 to Nikon' ...  ;D ;D

Incredible isn’t it? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up