Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Puzzling Export Behavior - Noise Reduction  (Read 425 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Puzzling Export Behavior - Noise Reduction
« on: November 01, 2019, 10:41:44 pm »

Noticed this for the first time. On the right is the image from the Develop module, after luma noise reduction of +40. After exporting and downsizing, one would expect further reduction in noise. Instead, the image on the left looks like Lightroom "forgot" to apply noise reduction?

Any thoughts?

P.S. Turning on and off Output Sharpening in the Export dialog generates very little difference

P.P.S. These are Canon's latest files, with a .CR3 extension. Is it possible that LR has not been updated yet to handle those? I remember a couple of years ago when Canon's own raw converter did a significantly better job at noise reduction than LR at the time.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 11:20:06 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Puzzling Export Behavior - Noise Reduction
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 08:36:46 am »

P.P.S. These are Canon's latest files, with a .CR3 extension. Is it possible that LR has not been updated yet to handle those? I remember a couple of years ago when Canon's own raw converter did a significantly better job at noise reduction than LR at the time.
Is this a new camera or did it receive a firmware update?  I think LR treats files in a camera dependent way.  Nikon raw files all have NEF extensions but when I upgraded from a D810 to Z6, my current version of LR would not work.  I was still on the stand alone 'old' version which was not being updated any longer.  I had to upgrade to the subscription version (and Win 10 because Adobe did not support Win 8.1) in order to just open the files for processing.  You should be able to query the Adobe support site to make sure the files are supported. 

I just did a couple of experiments using some NEF files and they seem not to have the issue you report.

Brad Smith

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 08:45:56 am »

According to this article: article, Lightroom Classic CC 8.0 is supposed to support CR3. There is other info there that may be helpful in sorting this out.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 08:49:54 am »

Noticed this for the first time. On the right is the image from the Develop module, after luma noise reduction of +40. After exporting and downsizing, one would expect further reduction in noise. Instead, the image on the left looks like Lightroom "forgot" to apply noise reduction?

Any thoughts?

P.S. Turning on and off Output Sharpening in the Export dialog generates very little difference

Does the same thing happen if you export without downsizing?
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up