Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mona Lisa  (Read 391 times)

James Clark

Mona Lisa
« on: October 27, 2019, 06:34:01 pm »

Just got back from Paris... Images forthcoming, but I'm enjoying this one of the zoo that was the Louvre

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Mona Lisa
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 07:09:52 pm »

That is crazy! It's got to stop, that tourism nonsense. Raise the tickets to $300, for god's sake.

As for the photograph, would you consider my suggestion: tone significantly down highlights and contrast of all the unwashed masses, turning them into a dark, insignificant, amorphous mass? Or, as a Democrat, you just have to protect the middle class tones? ;)

James Clark

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 07:15:53 pm »

That is crazy! It's got to stop, that tourism nonsense. Raise the tickets to $300, for god's sake.

As for the photograph, would you consider my suggestion: tone significantly down highlights and contrast of all the unwashed masses, turning them into a dark, insignificant, amorphous mass? Or, as a Democrat, you just have to protect the middle class tones? ;)

It was a madhouse.  My wife and I had had enough after about 30 minutes.   

Re: the image, it's a great suggestion...  I know because I already did that to a large extent ;). The guy in the white shirt front and center made it look wrong when I took it too dark, but given some time it might be worth spending some real effort on him.  I have another image with different people where the teeming mass is more nondescript, with the added advantage/comment of someone raising their phone right in front of the painting. Unfortunately there are some other technical issues with that one.

In an ideal world though, you're dead on.  This would have been a killer image with a tripod and a big ND filter totally blurring the crowd.

And as a Democrat, I only have to pay lip service to the middle class while enjoying elitist things like high art and fancy wine, though I have to say, good wine is really cheap in France.   

« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 07:19:33 pm by James Clark »

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 04:27:38 am »

And the more interesting paintings are on the left hand when looking to the Mona Lisa, but nobody cares. A selfie with Mona is all what counts.

O, and don’t go for the ‘not waiting’ lane. 😏

I don’t like the Louvres, specially the part of the Egyptian culture, it gives me that uncomfortable sour feeling if colonial robberies.

Did you also visit the centre Pompidou and Brancusi atelier?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 10:20:52 am by Ivo_B »

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 04:31:03 am »

Yes, that way only uninterested Russian millionaires can come to take a selfie with a Russian Nikita Lisa under the arm.

rabanito

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 04:45:37 am »

I don’t like the Louvres, specially the part of the Egyptian culture, it gives me that uncomfortable sour feeling if colonial robberies.

As far as I know the people who constructed the Egyptian Culture are not those who occupy that territory now.
The arabs are not descendency from the Old Egyptians.
Correct me if I'm wrong

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 07:23:45 am »

I like the Louvre a lot; I saw the Mona Lisa alone...
The idea is to go in the museum as early as possible, when it opens ; then run to the Mona Lisa...
nevertheless- you see the little painting from way to far...
After the Mona Lisa go to the next most popular site...
There is a very nice coffee bar that also becomes too crowded quickly.
About the Egyptian art- i love the shapes and forms, but yes they ought to be in Egypt; that said ; there is plenty to see in Egypt... they have made a lot of art.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

rabanito

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 08:05:08 am »

I like the Louvre a lot; I saw the Mona Lisa alone...
nevertheless- you see the little painting from way to far...

Before the Mona Lisa was under a thick bullet proof glass. Only experts or restaurateurs would see it as it really was. One of them  called it "the underwater beauty" or something similar. I think it was Kenneth Clark...
Nowadays it is behind a new bullet proof glass which it is said to be way more clear.

You can get better selfies

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 12:07:00 pm »

restaurateurs
?
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 12:13:27 pm »

?

Probably a misspelling of (painting) conservators, doing restorations of paintings. I do not know what a French spelling is.

rabanito

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 12:42:10 pm »

Probably a misspelling of (painting) conservators, doing restorations of paintings.

Right

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english-french/conservator
Sorry about that
Pages: [1]   Go Up