Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disappearing articles and proprietary content  (Read 1453 times)

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
Disappearing articles and proprietary content
« on: October 23, 2019, 11:56:46 am »

Hi all,

You may (or may not) have noticed that two articles have recently been made published and then unpublished. Many apologies for whatever inconvenience or frustration this caused. Reasons for each being un-published are separate.

One of the articles was on choosing the right histogram. We have an article upcoming which in many way addresses the (ongoing!) question in a likely more comprehensive way.

Side note: My editorial mandate is to have a new level of authorship which is made ever more proprietary. Where LULA started as a blog many many moons ago, the content direction remains in evolution to a more college-level curricula mixed with our higher level documentary video productions, with writers who constitute an ongoing LULA team.

If you feel you have something to offer, you are always welcome to submit a topic pitch, an article or piece, only caveat being that you not write similar articles for other publications.

Many thanks

Josh
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

ramd41@gmail.com

Re: Disappearing articles and proprietary content
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 07:54:51 pm »

Total nonsense.  You text sounds like that of a politician, not the successor to LULA. "My editorial mandate is to have a new level of authorship which is made ever more proprietary."  Means nothing.

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 01:48:25 pm »

Agree that Johs's post is mostly devoid of content and understanding. It sounds like you are ruling out many of the types of articles and authors that made LULA what it is.
Les

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 02:01:42 pm »

Agree that Johs's post is mostly devoid of content and understanding. It sounds like you are ruling out many of the types of articles and authors that made LULA what it is.
Les

Ok I’ll bite. One can write for any publication one likes, especially if they are professionals, but going forward, I’m not at all interested in articles which resemble one’s written for other similar sites. That is boring.

And, yes, the authors are changing. This is inevitable and healthy. Will it be like “what it once was” , I don’t think that is entirely possible or at all desirable. I pretty much guarantee my father, as someone interested in progress and pursuing what was fresh and interesting, would have felt likewise. Only time will tell. I’m happy with the direction, open to feedback but not interested in stagnation or redundancy.

Is that more clear ?

Thanks

Ray Harrison

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 02:28:35 pm »

LULA is quite obviously not like it once was. That’s fine, things change. It’s hard to parse the language you often choose to use, but I’m guessing when you are “mandating” more “proprietary content” and throwing around language about college level curricula, you’re simply saying that as publisher, your vision is to provide unique, high quality, in-depth content.

That’s awesome and I can’t wait to see it, and there have already been a few articles that are a nod in that direction as well as some video content. Let’s see your vision materialize (yes, I know it’s hard work).

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 02:43:20 pm »

LULA is quite obviously not like it once was. That’s fine, things change. It’s hard to parse the language you often choose to use, but I’m guessing when you are “mandating” more “proprietary content” and throwing around language about college level curricula, you’re simply saying that as publisher, your vision is to provide unique, high quality, in-depth content.

That’s awesome and I can’t wait to see it, and there have already been a few articles that are a nod in that direction as well as some video content. Let’s see your vision materialize (yes, I know it’s hard work).

Thanks Ray. We’re doing our best. I think we’ve succeeded and failed to live up to my hopes for the site. But this year has been very instructive. Much more to come which I am excited to try out.

I’ll try and communicate more clearly, I think that’s my job too !

J

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 03:52:19 pm »

If you feel you have something to offer, you are always welcome to submit a topic pitch, an article or piece, only caveat being that you not write similar articles for other publications.

Josh

An onerous requirement, IMHO.  Especially considering the pay scale for items published.

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 04:07:44 pm »

An onerous requirement, IMHO.  Especially considering the pay scale for items published.

Onerous seems harsh. Listen, if it’s a very similar article/topic/POV by the same author across two publications, what’s the point?

I’m looking for unique stuff. That’s just what I’m interested in. It might be impossibly limiting what I’m hoping for, but I’m trying to prevent redundancy.

Fair ?

J

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 04:43:04 pm »

LULA pays for articles!?! Lord have mercy.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 07:44:31 pm »

LULA pays for articles!?!
New to me. But then due to issues I will not get into, I asked mine to be removed years ago.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 08:41:06 pm »

LULA pays for articles!?! Lord have mercy.

I think the post you’re referencing was a implication that they do not pay, therefor there should be no stipulation on where-else similar articles are published.

But, since were doing this - we pay for video production and assignments I’m interested in. The rest are offered up by contributors which we vet, for mutual benefit, as has been the case historically.

Pages: [1]   Go Up