Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Erwin Puts breaks up with Leica  (Read 409 times)

BJL

Erwin Puts breaks up with Leica
« on: October 23, 2019, 08:19:13 am »

The couple of 35 years have drifted apart:
https://photo.imx.nl/blog/files/archive-october-2019.html

JoeKitchen

Re: Erwin Puts breaks up with Leica
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 08:56:45 am »

Sounds very biased with a bit of sour grapes mixed in to me.  The world of mechanical cameras has already faded into the sunset, and any manufacturer who is still in business realizes this.  The nostalgia of the past may stick around for a bit, but to build cameras like they use to be is just not practical anymore.  Digital sensors work different that film, offer a lot more options, and cameras need to be redesigned to accommodate these, which are all going to be digital in nature. 

The only exception to this is for guys like me, who shoot architecture, and need movements, but Leica never produced cameras like that.  Thankfully, for me, Arca Swiss has adapted well, but even their technical cameras are becoming more and more "connected."  Copal no longer makes shutters, which is certainly annoying but the digital backs have built in digital shutters, so ...

Insofar as saying their newer cameras (I am assuming the S line) are just like everything else, I disagree.  Although it is not the camera best suited for my work, it is a unique system that offers lots of pluses.  It is larger then a 35mm, but smaller than a medium format system, and fits in the hand much better.  I like the fact that Leica is not giving into the megapixel race keeping the resolution at a reasonable size.  On top of that, the S and the Hassy X line are the only "smaller" format cameras that offer lenses with leaf shutters, which is pretty nice if you need them. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 10:42:22 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 09:05:57 am »

Who moved my cheese?

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 10:32:08 am »

In its day the M series Leica was supreme. In the late sixties and early seventies I had three Leicas. My favorite was the M4, though the M2 was a close second, and my IIIf was useful on the street. But those days are gone forever. As far as the M series is concerned, what Leica's making nowadays is high-priced jewelry. Split image was the best focusing system in the world until outfits like Olympus perfected EVF, which puts split-image to shame as far as speed is concerned.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 11:00:03 am »

The main issue I see with Leica right now is service in the USA. 

A few decades ago, Leica moved away from servicing professionals and really got into the high end amateur market.  Now with the S system, they are trying to get back into the professional market, however their service has not caught up to professional standards.  As a professional, I need really great service when it comes to my gear.  (And this is not say that amateurs don't appreciate great service too; I'm not interested in getting in that debate.  Just that when you make you living from your gear and a lens goes down, you need it fixed and/or a loaner in your hands next day, end of story.  If you're an amateur, you can live without a lens for a while even though it might be annoying.) 

I know a pro who uses Leica, and he had a lens that was still under warranty go down about a year and half ago.  It took Leica three months to get it fixed and back to him.  Now they did offer him a loaner, but the loaner was a 85mm lens and the lens that went down was like a 35mm.  Fortunately he had a 28mm as well, so he was able to make it work.  However, he was not pleased with the whole process. 

Now granted I have not talked to anyone recently about their current service, but this was certainly a big negative in the pro market.  This is the main reason why Rollei's afi camera never caught on here, even though it was probably the best MF system out there at the time. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 06:05:27 pm »

Old Leicas still go for thousands of dollars.  I guess like some old cars that don;t drive as well as modern cars, they have panache or something.
Pages: [1]   Go Up