Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gigapixel question  (Read 1961 times)

Daverich

Re: Gigapixel question
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2019, 02:22:08 pm »

Can anyone give me some idea of what would speed up Gigapixel the most? I currently have a 2013 MacPro with a 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 64 GB Ram, & an AMD FirePro D300/2GB. I realize I can't upgrade what I have but it's getting a little long in the tooth so once the new MacPro is out I'm going to look at that as well as what else is available. Gigapixel is the only program I regularly run that takes a long time to process and even though I have "run as a background task" selected, when it's doing it's thing I basically can't do anything else on the computer. So what would give the biggest boost to Gigapixel? Faster processor? More powerful GPU? Something else? Thanks.

Timur_Born

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2019, 04:06:22 pm »

GPU processing benefits from a faster GPU and GPU memory up to 6 gb. If you look at my graphs you will notice that GPU load dips low most of the time, so average load is only around 70-80%, so at some point a more expensive GPU will not help anymore. My RTX 2070 Super is *not* faster than my former RTX 2060 non Super when both use the same clock-rate. So the extra cores of the 2070 Super do not help anymore.

CPU processing benefits from more cores up to a point. On my 5 GHz 9900K GP uses 16 processing threads on 16 logical cores, since only 8 cores are real physical cores and the rest is Hyperthreading I get about 70-80% total CPU load. More cores might help, but I am already seeing single threads not running at full core load.

So at this point is seems that Topaz first needs to further optimize their code before it makes sense to throw more expensive hardware at the problem.

Daverich

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2019, 11:40:10 am »

GPU processing benefits from a faster GPU and GPU memory up to 6 gb. If you look at my graphs you will notice that GPU load dips low most of the time, so average load is only around 70-80%, so at some point a more expensive GPU will not help anymore. My RTX 2070 Super is *not* faster than my former RTX 2060 non Super when both use the same clock-rate. So the extra cores of the 2070 Super do not help anymore.

CPU processing benefits from more cores up to a point. On my 5 GHz 9900K GP uses 16 processing threads on 16 logical cores, since only 8 cores are real physical cores and the rest is Hyperthreading I get about 70-80% total CPU load. More cores might help, but I am already seeing single threads not running at full core load.

So at this point is seems that Topaz first needs to further optimize their code before it makes sense to throw more expensive hardware at the problem.

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll just have to wait on them. I really like the software, just wish it wasn't so slow.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up