Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Screeching noise from z3200  (Read 392 times)

mscherlacher

Screeching noise from z3200
« on: October 17, 2019, 12:12:06 pm »

My z has started to make a screeching noise at the end of it's automatic maintenance cycles. Only on occasion. It sounds like it is coming from the left side of the printer.
Most of the time it is normal but the frequency seems to be increasing. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

John Nollendorfs

Re: Screeching noise from z3200
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 12:21:16 pm »

Probably the power supply fan! HP repair will replace the whole power supply, or you can find a replacement fan for $25 or less and do it yourself!
http://www.marklindquistphotography.com/HPZ3200_Repair_Notes_Mark_Lindquist_Photography.htm#REPLACING_THE_HP_Z3200_POWER_SUPPLY_UNIT_(PSU)_FAN_

mscherlacher

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 12:46:17 pm »

I don't believe it's the fan. It sounds more like the belt slipping(?). I should have been more specific. I'm not sure if it's possible for the belt to slip but that would be my best
guess. It is however just a guess. Since it only happens at the tail end of maintenance cycles and (I think) after the carriage has already docked, the belt is the first thing
that comes to my mind.  Is there anything on the left side of the printer that could make a screeching noise?

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 02:00:06 pm »

I’ve been in and out under and over this issue, by myself and with a fleet of HP engineers.

It is not a belt or bad fan bushings or anything we think of as associated with a squeal.

It is “capacitance squeal” almost impossible to track down because of the intermittence.  HP once rebuilt the entire electronics of one of my printers and it still did not solve the issue. Ultimately, they made the wise decision to walk away from it. 

The printer would sound a very high pitched squeal or screech, then, continue operating as normal.  The screech did not affect the operation of the printer.

It’s a “ghost in the machine” kind of thing. It involves interaction between the capacitance and current fluctuations between IC board components, similar to the electronic equivalent of harmonic vibration in vehicles where due to the amount of wear or mis-alignment, the front end goes into a wobble at certain speeds yet works out of it above or below that point where it shakes everything.

Best thing to do is when it starts to happen: quickly avert your ears, or cover them with your hands and talk loudly saying: “I’m not listening”, and repeat this loudly until the squeal stops.... :-)

Seriously (all kidding aside), to my knowledge there is nothing that can be done about this. Try to find it and you will open a can of worms.  But if you are H-bent on finding and fixing it, just open your wallet and throw the money on the ground - it will be a lot easier.

It will get worse over time, but I doubt that it will be much worse.

If the printer has trouble restarting or begins to get hung, unplug it and let it dissipate for several hours, or best, overnight, then plug back in and it should get back up and go.

-Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

mscherlacher

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 03:48:43 pm »

Mark, thanks so much for the detailed answer. I think this is good news for me. The printer is functioning fine as far as I can tell, so I will let it be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up