Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe Photography Plan subscription - looking for a "deal"  (Read 2085 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Adobe Photography Plan subscription - looking for a "deal"
« on: October 13, 2019, 07:33:10 am »

I'm looking ahead at the possibility of having to abandon Lr 6.14 when I upgrade to macOS Catalina (if not Catalina, then the next version).

Has anyone come across found any "bundles" or deals that combine Lr Photography Plan (Classic w/ PS) with another helpful service?

Right now, Adobe Photography Plan is $14.99/mo for Lr Classic + PS + 1TB of Cloud storage. No doubt, it will go up to $19.99/mo in a few months or after my first year. I don't need 1TB of cloud storage, nor do I need PS, but the $9.99/mo option is for Lr CC only. Lr CC won't cut it for me as I need printing capability and much prefer to store my images locally (and have well over 1TB of files!)

For example, I see that 500px is bundling their Pro plan with Adobe CC (Lr Classic + PS, but unsure of disk space) for $14.99/mo (for 1 year, then $19.99/mo after that, per year paid upfront).

What deals/bundles have you found that may be helpful?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 08:12:15 am by luxborealis »
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Denis de Gannes

Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
Re: Adobe Photography Plan subscription - looking for a "deal"
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 05:01:26 pm »

There is a photography plan that includes LR, LRCC & PS + 20GB of cloud storage for US$9.99

Mac Mahon

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 07:10:38 pm »

Terry
I subscribe to (the New Zealand version of) the $9.99 20GB plan.
I do not use the 20GB in cloud.  Like you, I have no use for it.
Have never downloaded LRcc.  Haven't got excited about trying to edit on a mobile device.  Desktop 'Classic' version is for me.
Was never previously a PS user, but since it was part of the deal, decided to dabble.  PhotoShop has become a useful part of workflow thanks to hints from John Beardsworth and others here.  (eg if you've ever used Silver Efex, the flaxibility you gain to go back to adjustments by launching SEfex using Smart Objects in PS is alone worth the subsription!)
I used to upgrade LR (standalone) everytime it was upgraded.  The cost of the subscription package is comparable.
Just my 2¢. 

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 03:45:53 am »

I subscribe to (the New Zealand version of) the $9.99 20GB plan.
I do not use the 20GB in cloud.  Like you, I have no use for it.
Have never downloaded LRcc.  Haven't got excited about trying to edit on a mobile device.  Desktop 'Classic' version is for me.

If it means anything to you (good about the SO workflow!), I have always been enthusiastic about Lightroom Mobile. I think Terry likes it too, though I may have misremembered. For me it's only 5-10% for rough editing on the phone, but 90%+ of its usefulness is having a large portfolio on my iPhone/iPad and being able to show friends in the pub or just edit captions on the train. The editing is more useful now and I do occasionally edit originals. So for example today I am around Westminster shooting raw files with my Fuji and I may want to put some photos on social media or email them - so I'll edit and caption the raw files in the pub. These originals and any editing work are automatically in my Classic Lightroom catalogue when I get home, as will any snaps I might make on the phone. This is why my 5% is creeping towards 10%, and these originals do use that 20gb. But mostly I like having thousands of pictures with me, and with very little effort.

I would avoid the Lightroom plan. You only get the cloud-dependent program which Adobe call Lightroom, and I don't think much of its capabilities. 

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 05:18:55 pm »

No doubt, it will go up to $19.99/mo in a few months or after my first year.
Adobe still shows the original photography plan of PS, LR, and 20gb of storage for 9.99 a month (USA). While I suppose it’s possible it will go up, it has been at this price since it’s inception (something like 6 years ago?)  If you jump in now and the price is increased, really can’t blame anyone.  You just happen to buy in at the end. 6 years is a long time to maintain a price.

There have been “rumored” price increases many times, but this comes mainly from them “hiding” the low end plan.  But it has always been available, never removed, and the price never increased.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 06:47:18 pm »

There is a photography plan that includes LR, LRCC & PS + 20GB of cloud storage for US$9.99

That is the one I just got (bit the bullet). I only use LR Classic. It was the cheapest option I could find. I bought a year upfront. 
-MattB

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 10:41:05 pm »

That is the one I just got (bit the bullet). I only use LR Classic. It was the cheapest option I could find. I bought a year upfront.
As long as it stays that price there is not much to complain, i think.
But it keeps me away from learning ( and buying) any other program they make- that used to be different.
I use photoshop and LR. I start in LR and then use photoshop to complete.
I reckon less people know photoshop nowadays - it is not the easiest program to get into and LR does a good job (, but cannot do all i need.)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

SrMi

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 05:13:11 am »

As long as it stays that price there is not much to complain, i think.
But it keeps me away from learning ( and buying) any other program they make- that used to be different.
I use photoshop and LR. I start in LR and then use photoshop to complete.
I reckon less people know photoshop nowadays - it is not the easiest program to get into and LR does a good job (, but cannot do all i need.)

I would say that the cheapest plan encourages people to use PS as you cannot subscribe to LR without subscribing to PS.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 11:30:08 am »

I would say that the cheapest plan encourages people to use PS as you cannot subscribe to LR without subscribing to PS.

That was the effect on me. I'd been using Lightroom 6 for years and had Photoshop CS5 but had started using Affinity Photo as a more modern and affordable PS alternative. But now that I'm subscribed I have an updated Photoshop and have started using that again instead of Affinity.
-MattB

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 10:02:01 pm »

So the way I view the Photography Plan is, The core application you are paying the subscription for is Photoshop which comes with Adobe Camera Raw and Bridge, Lightroom is an alternative to ACR/Bridge so actually you get that for free gratis with the subscription.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 06:18:58 am by Denis de Gannes »
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 04:13:50 am »

Or the other way round? After all, you can perfect a very high percentage of your photographs with Lightroom alone, and the remainder can be fixed with the subscription's bonus app, Photoshop.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 11:56:39 am »

Or the other way round? After all, you can perfect a very high percentage of your photographs with Lightroom alone, and the remainder can be fixed with the subscription's bonus app, Photoshop.

That's how I see it.
I think people who resist using Lightroom (or any cataloging app) either don't have a very high volume of images to manage or just don't realize they are making things unnecessarily difficult for themselves.
-MattB

Damage98

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 09:11:21 am »

Add me to the folks who subscribe to Lightroom Online, and consider PS as the extra. If the OP reads this, I am surprised no one has mentioned that if you are considering signing up w Adobe, look for deals on Amazon or B&H, sometimes a gift card of 20$ is included, bringing the annual down to 100.00 USD. I buy one every year.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 11:12:29 am »

Many thanks for all the helpful information.

I’ve caved in “( and drunk the Adobe Kool-Aid. There are no deals out there (even on Amazon, it’s ’Product not available’). However, it’s not the end of the world.

However, I did learn that if I have 300 assets accepted on Adobe Stock, I get the Photography Plan for a year. I know Adobe Stock doesn’t pay much, but I also have thousands of files sitting on hard drives – I may as well put them to use. In fact, I’m going to try a little experiment: upload the same images to Adobe, ShutterStock, Alamy, EyeEm and Getty, and see how they do.

Wish me luck!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up