Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brief Huawei P30 Pro RAW test  (Read 3484 times)

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
Brief Huawei P30 Pro RAW test
« on: October 11, 2019, 02:57:03 pm »

A quick test over the 27mm 40Mpx camera sensor (highest IQ) at ISO50 (apparently lowest real ISO) on the Huawei P30 Pro.

Scene under test, focus on the doll:

A crop after 40Mpx to 10Mpx rescaling (the effective output resolution used by Huawei):

RAWs files are standard DNG, apparently uncompressed (weighting 78MB! while they may become just 21MB after Adobe DNG RAW converter). These RAW files are 12-bit encoded, but inspecting the RAW histogram we can see they contain just 10-bit information:

This means the DR at pixel level cannot be higher than around ~8 stops of PDR, which means no more than ~9 stops of PDR after 40Mpx to 10Mpx rescaling.

Mobile previsualization and generated JPEG tend to have quite higher exposure than the corresponding RAW file (like Olympus cameras do). This means more highlight headroom but poorer noise performance.

RAW histogram in exposure stops:

I could have exposed +1EV or even +2EV without clipping any relevant information, reducing shadow noise by 1/2 or 1/4 respectively. This is what a neutral non-WB'ed RAW development produces, just to compare with the camera exposure shown at the beginning:

Anyone wanting to play with the RAW file: p30.dng (21MB).

Regards
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 03:01:19 pm by Guillermo Luijk »

Guillermo Luijk

Re: Brief Huawei P30 Pro RAW test
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 04:33:48 pm »

I'd like to point the strong magenta correction needed for proper WB in ACR:

I guess any scene lit with a green cast would fall out of the correction possibilities of ACR. In fact the top right corner of my scene reaches 150 when using the WB picker, the top of the scale.

In addition to that only the WB picker and custom WB work. Any other preset (Daylight, Tungsten,... even Auto) produces wrong results with a strong green cast. I guess this is the consequence of the RYYB sensor design which works in a differente way to common RGGB Bayer sensors (explained here).

Surely the G values in the histograms above, well higher than R and B values, are actually the Y values (encoded G+R wavelengths).

Regards

Guillermo Luijk

Highlight headroom (vs middle gray) and vignetting tests (main camera)
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 06:36:53 pm »

Shooting a wall uniformly lit with spot metering:

RAW histogram:

Cropping the centre, we see there are about 2EV of highlight headroom when using the smartphone metering:

P30 Pro vignetting profile along the diagonal (whole image circle):

Same info plotted as a vignetting map: the optics vignet around 2EV in the corners, less than 1EV top/down and less than 1,5EV on the left/right sides:

Regards
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 08:09:18 pm by Guillermo Luijk »

Guillermo Luijk

Sharpness and distortion test
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 07:06:40 pm »

Now a sharpness and optical distortion test (27mm equivalent lens, 40Mpx sensor). I shot this scene from the balcony:

Distortion is really well controlled, although it displays a very slight moustache type curvature (this is basic RAW development with no corrections applied):

I don't have lenses with such a low distortion for M4/3, and for my FF I need to go to the Laowa 12mm Zero-D or the Canon 24mm TS-E II to improve it.

Sharpness and CA are very good too. This is a 100% crop over a 10Mpx resampling, which I consider the usable effective resolution (native sensor is 40Mpx):

In more centred areas sharpness is even better:

Just for curiosity, this was probably the most perfect ETTR I have achieved ever (RAW histogram):

To finish, this is how my old Canon 350D (8Mpx APS) with the kit lens 18-55 compares in 100% crops:

Huawei P30 Pro 100% crop (10Mpx image):

Canon 350D 100% crop (8Mpx image) + kit 18-55 lens:

Not bad for a smartphone.

Regards
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 07:11:12 pm by Guillermo Luijk »
Pages: [1]   Go Up