Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profile for Epson Professional Paper Matte Finish  (Read 3093 times)

stringgz301

Profile for Epson Professional Paper Matte Finish
« on: October 07, 2019, 06:02:57 pm »

I recently bought 250 sheets of Epson Professional Paper Matte Finish to use for test prints on my Epson P800.  I can't seem to find an ICC profile to use with it (I can't even seem to find the paper on Epson's website), and definitely need something since it is a relatively warm paper.  Any suggestions?

Garnick

Re: Profile for Epson Professional Paper Matte Finish
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 07:39:58 pm »

I recently bought 250 sheets of Epson Professional Paper Matte Finish to use for test prints on my Epson P800.  I can't seem to find an ICC profile to use with it (I can't even seem to find the paper on Epson's website), and definitely need something since it is a relatively warm paper.  Any suggestions?

Epson Professional Paper Matte Finish  Is this the actual name for the paper?  I've been using Epson papers for many years and have never come across this one. Did you purchase it from Epson or an Authorized Epson Dealer?  If not this may perhaps a knock off from one of Epsons Matte papers, such as Epson Premium Presentation Paper Matte or the likes.  Or Epson Ultra Premium Matte, formerly Epson Enhanced Matte.  Perhaps a bit more information would be of use in this case.   
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 10:07:02 am »

Epson Ultra Premium isn't formerly Enhanced.  Ultra Premium is the sheets and Enhanced is the rolls.  I don't know the reason for the name change, but this was on Epson's marketing end for that part.

If the box doesn't have a proper label on it, it won't be the Epson version unless you typed it differently or it may be an pretty old batch.

Epson and Authorized Dealers should have the same inventory.  We are an Authorized dealer and our inventory that our distributors hold comes directly from Epson.  If a dealer sold a 3rd party version, they shouldn't have Epson labeled on the box (shouldn't but can be tricky if they wanted).

Try the Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte profile or the one just below it.  The weight on the box should tell you which one it would be.  Ultra (5 star) is 192gsm (10.4 mil) and 4 star is about 175gsm or lower.

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 05:36:35 pm »

Epson Ultra Premium isn't formerly Enhanced.  Ultra Premium is the sheets and Enhanced is the rolls.  I don't know the reason for the name change, but this was on Epson's marketing end for that part.

If the box doesn't have a proper label on it, it won't be the Epson version unless you typed it differently or it may be an pretty old batch.

Epson and Authorized Dealers should have the same inventory.  We are an Authorized dealer and our inventory that our distributors hold comes directly from Epson.  If a dealer sold a 3rd party version, they shouldn't have Epson labeled on the box (shouldn't but can be tricky if they wanted).

Try the Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte profile or the one just below it.  The weight on the box should tell you which one it would be.  Ultra (5 star) is 192gsm (10.4 mil) and 4 star is about 175gsm or lower.

Sitting on my desk at this moment is a 250 sheet 8.5x11 box labeled Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte, and just above that name, in smaller print is Formerly Enhanced Matte Paper.  Except for the label that box looks exactly like the former box of Epson Enhanced Matte Paper, including the colours, white, blue and green.  If necessary I will scan the box and attach the scan.  That box was purchased a few years ago at Vistek in Toronto.  I agree that the later versions of the Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte were boxed with a totally new look and did not have the text Formerly Enhanced Matte Paper included.  Since my only use for the Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte is tests for printing on Canvas, I do not use the roll stock at all, so I have no knowledge of how that is boxed or labeled. 

EDIT:  I also have an older box of 11.7 x 16.5 Epson Enhanced Matte Paper that is also labeled in smaller print as Formerly Archival Matte Paper.  To me it means that until the past couple of years Epson has simply changed the name on the box but the paper was the same as previous versions.       
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 06:01:59 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 05:55:23 pm »

That's good to know.  I haven't seen the label recently for that product, so didn't know they noted it that way.  Thanks for clarifying.  I started at the company (9 years ago) when it was the way they have it now.

I know both rolls and sheets are basically the same thing, but the weight may be just different otherwise.

Either way Stringgz301, just use the Ultra Premium or Premium profile/setting for the paper.

BrianWJH

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 06:01:51 pm »

Easily found on the Epson website, just use the Enhanced Matte profile.
Brian.

Garnick

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 02:01:45 pm »

As mentioned in my previous post, I only used Enhanced Matte for testing images for printing on the Matte Canvas I use.  I've been using the ENM for many years and had initially set up a standard adjustment procedure to go from the ENM to the canvas print.  Not mush of an adjustment but just enough to be necessary.  However, after the ENM was taken over by Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte I discovered that I no longer needed the adjustments from that paper to the canvas print.  It is indeed very close to an exact match, so no further adjustments necessary.  I can do all of my tests on the UPPPaper with its own profile and then use the same adjustments for canvas with no alterations and using the Canvas Matte Profile.  One obvious difference I find between the older ENM and the UPPPaper is the whiter base of UPPPaper, which I believe is the key to why it's so close to the Matte Canvas.  The older ENM had a slightly creamy surface in comparison.  With a particularly difficult image I might perhaps run a slice of the image on the 17" canvas as a test, but otherwise it's as I have explained above.   
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 08:03:30 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
Pages: [1]   Go Up