Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breakfast With Fine Art  (Read 376 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Breakfast With Fine Art
« on: October 05, 2019, 10:30:09 am »

Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

Re: Breakfast With Fine Art
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 12:46:26 pm »

If breakfast consists of a super-size G&T as the lady appears to be enjoying, rule me not out!

Not that I wouldn't quickly be, of course, were I to try and keep up at that speed.

:-)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 05:04:41 am »

Splendid, Russ.

RSL

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 07:44:39 am »

Thanks, Rajan.

John R

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 10:13:29 am »

The graininess and quality of light all seem to work together nicely to create a really nice atmosphere. In a word, ambiance. You must have arms of steel. I can't handheld even at 1/60 of a second.

JR

RSL

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 01:40:45 pm »

Thanks, John. I made that shot 14 years ago, so I'd have been 75. Didn't have arms of steel then. Don't have arms of steel now at 89. But I shot at 1/50 second and, though I don't remember doing it and probably wouldn't admit it in any case, I might have braced my elbows on the table. On the other hand, long ago when I was making available light shots in dark rooms with my Leica M4 and Tri X or its Ilford equivalent, I remember holding at 1/30 second with quite acceptable results. People tend to get too cranked up about "sharpness."

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 05:36:51 pm »

Thanks, John. I made that shot 14 years ago, so I'd have been 75. Didn't have arms of steel then. Don't have arms of steel now at 89. But I shot at 1/50 second and, though I don't remember doing it and probably wouldn't admit it in any case, I might have braced my elbows on the table. On the other hand, long ago when I was making available light shots in dark rooms with my Leica M4 and Tri X or its Ilford equivalent, I remember holding at 1/30 second with quite acceptable results. People tend to get too cranked up about "sharpness."

"Sharpness"

Too right! With that as guiding light, no Impressionists!

Critically sharp certainly has its place, of course, but not always with people shots, where ambiance and mood matter so much more. Even with people when you think it's all about sharpness: what are the magicians shooting for the cosmetics firms doing? Creating a blur of reality: you think it's sharp, but actually, it's been turned into plastic with an unreal surface where the only crisp thing is the retouched lash and false lip line. As you seldom see the reflection of cameras or flash units anymore, maybe the entire eye area is a fake. Who knows? And that's the power of fake news, visual or verbal: you just never can be sure.

I shall probably have indigestion when I go to bed tonight.

:-)

RSL

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 07:54:53 pm »

Here you go, Rob.

stamper

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 04:09:47 am »

Splendid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up