Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: P800 and Hahnemualhle ICC profiles  (Read 886 times)

prince_of_darkness

P800 and Hahnemualhle ICC profiles
« on: October 02, 2019, 10:05:34 am »

So I bought a box of Hahnemuahle Photo Glossy Baryta 320 and installed the driver "EpsSC_P800_PK_HahnemuahlePhotoGlossyBaryta.icc". Unfortunately the printer insists on switching to the MK (matte) black notwithstanding that the printer dialog tells me that it is using the correct icc profile which clearly calls for PK black (according to the file name). I don't see anyway to override the ink-type instructions in the profile other than selecting an entirely different profile. And if I must use a different profile what one might I use?

Garnick

Re: P800 and Hahnemualhle ICC profiles
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 10:21:37 am »

So I bought a box of Hahnemuahle Photo Glossy Baryta 320 and installed the driver "EpsSC_P800_PK_HahnemuahlePhotoGlossyBaryta.icc". Unfortunately the printer insists on switching to the MK (matte) black notwithstanding that the printer dialog tells me that it is using the correct icc profile which clearly calls for PK black (according to the file name). I don't see anyway to override the ink-type instructions in the profile other than selecting an entirely different profile. And if I must use a different profile what one might I use?

Have you set the proper paper type on the printer control panel?  If you have a matte paper type showing you should select one of the gloss or semigloss papers instead.  In some cases this setting is not absolutely necessary, but if it's an ink mismatch the paper type setting on the control panel could be the problem.
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Rand47

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 10:27:31 am »

OR, you could go into the printer’s menu and turn off the “paper check” option so that the driver controls all those parameters.  Used to drive me nuts on my 800 until I did that.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 10:45:45 am »

OR, you could go into the printer’s menu and turn off the “paper check” option so that the driver controls all those parameters.  Used to drive me nuts on my 800 until I did that.

Rand

This is interesting.  From a 9900 to the P7000 I have never seen a setting by the name "Paper Check".  If there is indeed such a setting please let me know where to find it in the control panel.  The closest I find is "Paper Size Check" which I use occasionally and has nothing to do with an ink mismatch.  As I mentioned, most of the time the paper type setting in the control panel is irrelevant, unless there is indeed an ink mismatch.
Gary N.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 11:27:51 am »

The selection of a paper profile has no bearing on ink selection BY the printer; you still need to know about and select the correct media settings which affects what black ink the printer selects. Perhaps the 3rd party supplying the media setting is incorrect?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 12:17:59 pm »

The selection of a paper profile has no bearing on ink selection BY the printer; you still need to know about and select the correct media settings which affects what black ink the printer selects. Perhaps the 3rd party supplying the media setting is incorrect?

Hi Andrew,

"As I mentioned, most of the time the paper type setting in the control panel is irrelevant, unless there is indeed an ink mismatch".  In my last post I believe I have reversed the order as mentioned in this quote.  However, although I have read various articles etc. referring to the irrelevance of one or the other I have always made sure the proper paper type is selected in the printer control panel. Then if there is an ink mismatch I know the issue is in the driver settings.     
Gary N.

prince_of_darkness

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 01:37:21 pm »

This is interesting.  From a 9900 to the P7000 I have never seen a setting by the name "Paper Check".  If there is indeed such a setting please let me know where to find it in the control panel.  The closest I find is "Paper Size Check" which I use occasionally and has nothing to do with an ink mismatch.  As I mentioned, most of the time the paper type setting in the control panel is irrelevant, unless there is indeed an ink mismatch.

I can't find any such setting either :-(

prince_of_darkness

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 05:10:37 pm »

With my first print I walked away from the printer before it started actually printing, and when I returned I found an awful-looking print and noticed that I had used MK black (matte) ink... which surprised me because I rarely use matte paper. In any case, on the printer's control panel I switched back to PK black. With the next attempt I made sure to correctly identify my paper (and the name of the icc file includes "Epson p800" and "PK"). As soon as I hit "PRINT" the printer started switching back to MK black and proceeded to produce another awful-looking print.  :(   Eventually I told the printer that I was using Epson Premium Gloss rather than Hahnemualhle Gloss Baryta and got a decent print with PK black.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 10:48:52 pm »

The base material for that profile is Epson Premium Luster Photo Paper, would I expect would be PK.
The base material selects the ink AFAIK.
What Paper Check does is more related to the physical presence of the paper, again AFAIK.
The file name does nothing other than indicate what is supposed to happen.
Run a trial version of Mirage Print and see what happens then.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Garnick

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 11:48:53 am »

"What Paper Check does is more related to the physical presence of the paper, again AFAIK".  OK, know we know what it does, apparently.  My first question was to the poster who mentioned that one could turn Paper Check off.  I then asked where one would find a setting named Paper Check in the printer control panel.  However, I have yet to receive that information, which I interpret to mean that there is no such Setting. Certainly not available on either the 9900 or the P7000.

Prove me wrong - PLEASE!   :)
Gary N.

Garnick

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 02:03:05 pm »

"As soon as I hit "PRINT" the printer started switching back to MK black and proceeded to produce another awful-looking print".  For some reason I had not paid enough attention to this sentence and as I reread it seems that you have the Auto Black Ink Change set to ON in the Printer Control Panel.  In that case, if there is indeed mismatch, either in the Print Dialog or the Control Panel, the printer will initiate a BK switch and you will have no control over it at that point.  However, if you set the Auto Black Ink Switch to OFF you will only get a notification of the ink mismatch on the Panel Display.  You can then check all settings in the Print Dailog and Control Panel to make sure everything is set properly.  No matter how many prints you have done without issues, these sort of nagging problems can happen occasionally and it can take a while to discover the reason, which will usually be very obvious once it is found and corrected.

Keep at it. You will find and correct it.   :)
Gary N.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 06:44:58 pm »

"What Paper Check does is more related to the physical presence of the paper, again AFAIK".  OK, know we know what it does, apparently.  My first question was to the poster who mentioned that one could turn Paper Check off.  I then asked where one would find a setting named Paper Check in the printer control panel.  However, I have yet to receive that information, which I interpret to mean that there is no such Setting. Certainly not available on either the 9900 or the P7000.

Prove me wrong - PLEASE!   :)
Paper Size Check

Garnick

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 11:02:49 pm »

Paper Size Check

Hmmm ... Not sure why you have mentioned Paper Size Check, since this setting is in no way related to an ink mismatch, which is the subject of the initial post.  I have mentioned this at least twice in this thread in comparison to the illusive Paper Check that was mentioned in Reply #2.  I've also referred to the Auto Black Ink Switch setting and why the OP should turn it off, as well as the fact that there is no such setting as Paper Check.  Apparently I didn't make that clear enough.

Cheers ...  :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 11:08:26 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 01:19:51 am »

Apparently I didn't make that clear enough.
I think that you have made a lot clear.
We agree I think.
There is no  "illusive" Paper Check.
There should be no need to touch anything on the printer panel. Everything should happen through the driver.
Andrew's comment that the media setting is incorrect agrees with my experience.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 04:19:22 am by BobShaw »

Garnick

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 08:14:49 am »

"There is no "illusive" Paper Check."  Agreed! I think we can put the illusive Paper Check setting to bed now.  Of course there is one rather important setting to be aware of on the Panel, which is the Paper Loading Method, which does have to coincide with the media setting.  However, I'm still not certain that the Paper Type setting on the Panel is totally irrelevant and can be ignored.  Guess I'll just have to do my own tests on that one, since I've always made sure that setting coincides with the media type as well. Therefore, if the Paper Type setting on the Panel is absolutely necessary, there are two Panel settings to be aware of.   
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 10:19:38 am by Garnick »
Gary N.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2019, 12:54:50 pm »

The Paper Type (Media Type) on the printer panel is needed to match the media type on the computer; otherwise, the printer won't be able to properly understand what is being fed (matching specs properly from both sides).  If you choose Luster on the printer Paper Type and Enhanced Matte on the computer end, the printer will be confused and usually gives an error on the print screen window (computer end) that something doesn't match and usually won't continue unless you tell it to.

That's like having the software and printer control colors together and the print looks (fairly) off from the screen. (just an example, so don't have to feed off this over the actual topic)

Most features between computer and printer will need to match (media type with correct black) to work properly.  Other settings like ICC profile and what not are more-less on the computer end to ensure you get the best printout, but yes, you WANT the media type to match on both ends; and the feed option (front feed for fine art paper, etc) will match or it won't accept the paper until it's corrected on one end.

Just make sure the Media Type on the printer screen matches the closest to the paper being used, and the Media Type on the driver end (computer) is the same.  I've had them different before (by accident) on the P800 and it gave me errors and didn't feed the media until it was adjusted to match.  **Just my experience**

Garnick

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2019, 02:50:46 pm »

The Paper Type (Media Type) on the printer panel is needed to match the media type on the computer; otherwise, the printer won't be able to properly understand what is being fed (matching specs properly from both sides).  If you choose Luster on the printer Paper Type and Enhanced Matte on the computer end, the printer will be confused and usually gives an error on the print screen window (computer end) that something doesn't match and usually won't continue unless you tell it to.

That's like having the software and printer control colors together and the print looks (fairly) off from the screen. (just an example, so don't have to feed off this over the actual topic)

Most features between computer and printer will need to match (media type with correct black) to work properly.  Other settings like ICC profile and what not are more-less on the computer end to ensure you get the best printout, but yes, you WANT the media type to match on both ends; and the feed option (front feed for fine art paper, etc) will match or it won't accept the paper until it's corrected on one end.

Just make sure the Media Type on the printer screen matches the closest to the paper being used, and the Media Type on the driver end (computer) is the same.  I've had them different before (by accident) on the P800 and it gave me errors and didn't feed the media until it was adjusted to match.  **Just my experience**

EXACTY !¡!   As I have been doing since my first print on an SP7600.  However, I have read on this forum numerous times that the settings on the Printer Control Panel can be ignored as long as the media type etc. is correct in the Driver Dialog.  And yet, this reply to my previous post - "There should be no need to touch anything on the printer panel. Everything should happen through the driver."  How is one supposed to determine which method to use after reading the above quote?  For me it's not an issue, since certain Printer Control Panel settings have always been part of my printing workflow, as they should be.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 03:06:51 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 04:57:34 pm »

There IS a media type you choose when feeding the media in the printer.  This happens almost every time once it detects a media being loaded.
I attached a screenshot to show what I'm referring to that is what you "should" be selecting to match the paper if the computer end doesn't match properly to the media.  "IF" you have the same media loaded with the correct black, than it should be fine for future prints as long as the settings (media type) on the software end (via printer driver) is correct since it can default when you do another print (unfortunately).

So, in a way, you're correct that you don't have to touch it, but you do need to select the media type if it's not correct otherwise.  If it's matte paper on printer and you select luster on the computer, the printer will get confused and may try the printer option and possibly change the black based on the type selected upfront vs what the drivers are set for.  Yes, it can be confusing, but it makes sense too.

The driver will default each time you go to print, so this isn't correct.  I believe it's set to Premium Photo Paper Glossy automatically unless you have the option to save the settings and select that option each time you go to that spot at the top (for Windows users).

The manufacturer of the printers want to make sure you get the best quality print from all of these settings available.  Match settings up on the ends (printer and computer) and should be fine!

prince_of_darkness

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2019, 08:46:27 am »

"As soon as I hit "PRINT" the printer started switching back to MK black and proceeded to produce another awful-looking print".  For some reason I had not paid enough attention to this sentence and as I reread it seems that you have the Auto Black Ink Change set to ON in the Printer Control Panel.  In that case, if there is indeed mismatch, either in the Print Dialog or the Control Panel, the printer will initiate a BK switch and you will have no control over it at that point.  However, if you set the Auto Black Ink Switch to OFF you will only get a notification of the ink mismatch on the Panel Display.  You can then check all settings in the Print Dailog and Control Panel to make sure everything is set properly.  No matter how many prints you have done without issues, these sort of nagging problems can happen occasionally and it can take a while to discover the reason, which will usually be very obvious once it is found and corrected.

Keep at it. You will find and correct it.   :)

Thanks. I did not realize that the auto switching could be disabled.

prince_of_darkness

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2019, 08:50:02 am »

The base material for that profile is Epson Premium Luster Photo Paper, would I expect would be PK.
The base material selects the ink AFAIK.

Thanks. Subsequent to my original post I tried a print using the profile for Epson Premium Glossy with good results. Nonetheless I'll try my next print using the Luster profile.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up