Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Epson P series Printers  (Read 6753 times)

ssgphoto

• Brooklyn Editions
New Epson P series Printers
« on: October 01, 2019, 12:09:30 pm »

New 44 and 24" p series
Looks promising. Faster than the P10000. Many new features from user accessible maintenance, independent black channels, and a dedicated sheet feeder that might add some common sense functions that these machines have been lacking for a while.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: New Epson P series Printers
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 12:15:16 pm »

You had me at independent black channels; sweet!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

AndrewMcD

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 01:07:49 pm »

I was just about to buy a P7000 for personal use yesterday using the last day of the $1000 Epson rebate, but waited. Notice that those new features come with a $1000 price bump!

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 04:36:21 pm »

So just be aware that you're also getting 12 colors vs the standard 11 since now you get the Violet, Orange and Green.  They technically made this version for proofers to achieve better gamut, but you should be fine using it for photo/fine art printing as well to get more details/gamut.

They are expecting to ship in December 2019.

Yes, they finally went thru the dedicated black channels in the P5570/7570 series to help with the changing ink waste/time switch.
We actually sent a newsletter earlier today for Pre-Orders!

Call us with any questions otherwise.

IT Supplies

AndrewMcD

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 07:03:00 pm »

Thanks for the update - I had questions about Epson's intended purpose with the addition of the extra colors and the x-rite attachment built-in. I may still just get the P7000 for my personal use. I can live with the black ink switching.

So just be aware that you're also getting 12 colors vs the standard 11 since now you get the Violet, Orange and Green.  They technically made this version for proofers to achieve better gamut, but you should be fine using it for photo/fine art printing as well to get more details/gamut.

Yes, they finally went thru the dedicated black channels in the P5570/7570 series to help with the changing ink waste/time switch.

IT Supplies

Lessbones

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 07:43:18 pm »

Thanks for the update - I had questions about Epson's intended purpose with the addition of the extra colors and the x-rite attachment built-in. I may still just get the P7000 for my personal use. I can live with the black ink switching.

The spectroproofer is not built in, it's still an add on as with the previous series, and most likely uses the exact same model as well.  Basically it seems that they took the head from the Px0000 series and added another two channels so they could get rid of the option btwn violet/LLK and also have the matte black loaded up at all times-- basically this is where the P9000/P7000 should have been all along.  So versus the previous gen, you're only getting benefits.  That new head is fantastic and incredibly fast, but clogging has still been a consistent problem (at least on my p20000).  Hopefully they've reengineered the ink/ink delivery/head cleaning system to take care of that issue a bit.

If you don't care about speed, then sure, get the previous generation if it's much cheaper, but this is a significant upgrade-- the only thing the 10000/20000 have now that this doesn't have is the dark grey ink...

now as for that new "Black Enhance Overcoat" feature...  It sounds like a profiling trick, or laying down black ink last in the order, but I'm very interested to see what that's all about.   :o

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 08:16:26 pm »

I will soon be in need of a new 44" unit to replace my 10 year old 9900.
All the cool new things it adds but ouch to the price.
I converted a P8000 for dye sub and could get another one for my canvas printing for $3175
For my work the orange and green inks are not necessary.
$6595 plus delivery and a full set of 700ml carts and you are at $9,000.
If I were to spend that kind of money I would  go solvent spend a little more and get rid of of my spray coating operation.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:28:17 pm by dgberg »

Rand47

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 11:11:51 pm »

IT Supplies

I also almost pulled the trigger on a 7000 but am now waiting to read tests of this one.  I cannot find dimensions for the new 7570.  Even Epson’s product PDF doesn’t seem to show them.  The 7000 would “just fit” my available width.  Do you know if the 7570 is the same width, or is it wider overall?

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 06:10:03 am »

I am curious about the black overcoat...
I have noticed i get deeper blacks on my Z3100 if i print 2x, but i cannot get the position perfect aligned.
Maybe this will do the trick.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Lessbones

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 12:29:56 pm »

Many new interesting features. The brochure list them.
https://mediaserver.goepson.com/ImConvServlet/imconv/ea559cb864507e00bad68e64993869510ba28f64/original?assetDescr=SureColor_P7570-9570_Product-Preview_V2.pdf

thanks for this--

user access to printhead nozzle plate!  THIS is by far the most important new feature (among a lot of others) I guess someone at epson really was listening to me last time they visited...  ;D ;D

also with this "blade" system, it's conceivable that a single bad channel could be replaced without having to replace the whole head....  bravo guys.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 01:26:07 pm »

I also almost pulled the trigger on a 7000 but am now waiting to read tests of this one.  I cannot find dimensions for the new 7570.  Even Epson’s product PDF doesn’t seem to show them.  The 7000 would “just fit” my available width.  Do you know if the 7570 is the same width, or is it wider overall?

Rand

The dimensions should be very similar to the 7000/9000, but still waiting on a final confirmation from Epson about that.  Just looks like they updated the body a little (but still similar look), and the screen is now next to the roll holder which that is updated too.

AndrewMcD-
The Spectro for the P7000/9000 will work on the P7570/9570 (the ISL30), but it is optional to get if you don't already have it, or you can move it over to the new model from the other one (if it's the same one).

The head on these models is the same head that the P10/20k have:
https://mediaserver.goepson.com/ImConvServlet/imconv/533043915bb36bd569331e5a825effce00d88fbb/original?assetDescr=Epson%20SureColor%20P10000_P20000%20SRG_v2.2s.pdf
So it is similar to the 7000/9000, but updated.  If you look at the P7000 head, it doesn't have the silver plate over the nozzle section and is also a little larger in length (per Epson's webinar); T7570/9570 is 2.6" tall vs P9000 at 1" tall-
https://mediaserver.goepson.com/ImConvServlet/imconv/fc1d87e8a27064487be97b8f97f50849c33daa14/original?assetDescr=Epson%20SureColor%20P7000_P9000%20SRG%20v2.2s.pdf

This is why they state it's supposed to be faster than the current series, but have hopefully better quality (especially on photos/fine art) due to the extra color for extended gamut.

Lessbones-
They will be discontinuing the P10k and is being replaced by the P9570 due to the head and speed, but you get more features in it.  The P20k will stay since it's their 64" version that replaced the 11880.
**You can't technically replace a blade as it's just in sections of the whole head.  Each blade is per color so the ink goes through the head properly; but you're able to clean it now.

Kers:
Hopefully the Black Enhance Overcoat works as well as they say since it's just adding the Light Gray ink on top (vs the Optimizer) to provide denser blacks/higher contrast for a "wet" look upfront (on gloss media only).  It should help with bronzing and gloss differential which is where the Optimizer comes in play otherwise.

I also went thru the webinar again to see what else they did and they have a few other features that are being implemented or added too.
*For those that haven't seen the slides from Epson* You can now clean the head and cap yourself but either an opening part (that has a cover in the back) to clean the head (if needed) or a cover in the front to just open and clean the cap.

*They are also coming out with their "Epson Media Installer software" that will be installed with the drivers.  This will handle the process of any media coming out and the software will recognize it based on your printer, download it to your computer and install it directly to the appropriate directory so you can use it right away; as well as configuring printer mechanical parameters upfront based on what Epson set directly.

*The Media Inductive Roller and Loading which is more automatic feeding of the roll and should detect a skew and adjust it so you don't have to directly.

*The P9570 speed will be very similar to the P10k, but certain modes will be slightly faster on the P9570

*The maintenance tanks will be the same as the current P series

Hope this gives a bit more clarification from what I heard/read!

Lessbones

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 01:44:26 pm »

Lessbones-
They will be discontinuing the P10k and is being replaced by the P9570 due to the head and speed, but you get more features in it.  The P20k will stay since it's their 64" version that replaced the 11880.
**You can't technically replace a blade as it's just in sections of the whole head.  Each blade is per color so the ink goes through the head properly; but you're able to clean it now.

well, technically... of course not  ;)

Terry_Kennedy

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 07:02:14 pm »

user access to printhead nozzle plate!  THIS is by far the most important new feature (among a lot of others) I guess someone at epson really was listening to me last time they visited...  ;D ;D

FWIW, the P10K has had this since day 1 - there's a front panel menu (user menu, not service) to position the head on the left side, and there are thumbscrews visible when the left ink door is opened. Remove the screws and that part of the cover slides off. The new printers have an advantage that the head faces you when you're standing at the back of the printer (instead of needing to look up into the printer) but you have to roll the printer away from the wall to get to it.

It appears that P10K owners would be giving up the ability to feed posterboard stock and the camera that measures actual paper movement. In the reseller webinar on the new printers, at around 35 minutes when discussing the P10K and that it would be discontinued in the first quarter, the presenter said "there is probably a back-order list forming now". A rather telling comment, even if made as a joke.

JimGoshorn

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 12:31:02 pm »

Have there been any changes to the ink formulation to help with clogging?

Lessbones

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2019, 12:57:01 pm »

FWIW, the P10K has had this since day 1 - there's a front panel menu (user menu, not service) to position the head on the left side, and there are thumbscrews visible when the left ink door is opened. Remove the screws and that part of the cover slides off. The new printers have an advantage that the head faces you when you're standing at the back of the printer (instead of needing to look up into the printer) but you have to roll the printer away from the wall to get to it.

I've used this feature before, but (and I just checked again) I've never seen a menu item that allows you to automatically move the head to this position...  I just figured it was a feature that they implemented then decided not to expose to the user...  Where are you seeing this option out of curiosity?

That said, I've never had a manual cleaning on this machine do a whole lot in terms of fixing any major issues, but it's still very useful to inspect the head and clean fibers or ink that may have made be stuck on the edges of the nozzle plate.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2019, 04:30:40 pm »

It appears that P10K owners would be giving up the ability to feed posterboard stock and the camera that measures actual paper movement. In the reseller webinar on the new printers, at around 35 minutes when discussing the P10K and that it would be discontinued in the first quarter, the presenter said "there is probably a back-order list forming now". A rather telling comment, even if made as a joke.

I don't think there was a good reason to have 2 44" models in the first place and coming out with the P9570 with the same features as the P10k on top of extra features and same speed (if not faster speed based on mode) is probably better.  Also, you're not limited to a certain size ink now based on printing amount (ink usage).

The formulation is probably updated a little, but not reformulated as they are the same colors as before.  Our Epson rep made a good point that any aqueous printer will clog in some aspect because it's waterbased ink.  Some users may not notice this issue with it and/or the printer may not see it as a bad clog and just continue to print or function.  The P6000-9000 have a Teflon coating on the head to help it with the clogging as well as the timing feature that will automatically check; but as far as helping with the head from not technically clogging may not happen since it's waterbased ink.  It's also based on the users environment and how well it's maintained upfront that helps.

MHMG

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 06:00:51 pm »

Question for I.T. Supplies (and others who may know). The Epson Spectroproofer unit listed as an accessory has been around since about 2012. Youtube tutorials and various reviews suggest it offers ICC profiling with Profilemaker 5 or some variant of that older technology, but these reviews are also quite old at this point in time. So, my question is:  Has the profiling capability of this accessory been updated to newer profiling algorithms like i1Profiler, and does the spectroproofer linearization procedure offer any extra calibration usefulness for third party media? Lastly, can custom profiling reference targets be imported for use with the Spectroproofer unit, or is one stuck with just a couple of basic targets baked into the software for this hardware accessory?

Inquiring minds want to know :)

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 06:05:24 pm by MHMG »

Terry_Kennedy

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2019, 10:08:44 pm »

I've used this feature before, but (and I just checked again) I've never seen a menu item that allows you to automatically move the head to this position...  I just figured it was a feature that they implemented then decided not to expose to the user...  Where are you seeing this option out of curiosity?

In the "Epson SureColor P10000/P20000 User's Guide" (March 2017 edition, P/N CPD-51065R2) it is on page 171 (section "Maintenance / Cleaning Around the Print Head").

There is also an un-documented (even in the service manuals) manual procedure which involves removing one of the small covers on the right side of the printer and using a long crosspoint screwdriver to manually rotate the carriage drive. This is normally used to move the print head off the capping station if an error with the capping station prevents normal printer start-up. If you're patient enough, you could crank the head all the way over to the access panel.

yann.bouckaert@pandora.be

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2019, 06:43:37 am »

Question for I.T. Supplies (and others who may know). The Epson Spectroproofer unit listed as an accessory has been around since about 2012. Youtube tutorials and various reviews suggest it offers ICC profiling with Profilemaker 5 or some variant of that older technology, but these reviews are also quite old at this point in time. So, my question is:  Has the profiling capability of this accessory been updated to newer profiling algorithms like i1Profiler, and does the spectroproofer linearization procedure offer any extra calibration usefulness for third party media? Lastly, can custom profiling reference targets be imported for use with the Spectroproofer unit, or is one stuck with just a couple of basic targets baked into the software for this hardware accessory?

Inquiring minds want to know :)

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Hi, the SpectroProofer can only be used if you have a rip, like EFI Fiery XF.

Regards,
Yann
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up