Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 196   Go Down

Author Topic: Impeaching Donald Trump  (Read 137258 times)

Rob C

Re: Impeaching Donald Trump
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2019, 03:45:58 am »

My club is bigger than your club.

James Clark

« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2019, 07:36:04 am »

And now something totally unrelated:

Golfing in the Hamptons with Devon Archer, who served on the board of the Ukrainian natural gas company Burisma Holdings with Hunter.

If it’s what you say, I love it!

PS - don’t give up photography.

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2019, 09:48:55 am »

I hope you are joking.

You do photography extremely well; don't betray your talent. Or at the very least, decide on the body and single lens you find give you most joy and keep them.

There is always tomorow. Photography has saved my sanity these past (almost) eleven years.

I have seldom been more serious than in my writing of this.

Rob

I effectively “quit music” and sold my gear over a few years (including a 1969 telecaster) when Pro Tools (the virtual studio program) became common on every aspiring musician’s Mac. It “got worse” when this evolved into the application Garage Band which actually comes with every new Mac. It has plug ins which replicate Fender twins, Gibson’s, broken amps, stage and stadium rigs, every and any old 1920’s mic and most rare and common stock guitar peddle to amp configurations. Stuff one spends decades toying with or never accessing without this new tool.

You can now sequence beats and lift and sample your own work or others and make “music” in hours or less using your voice (turning your voice into any instrument etc) and a dinky keyboard which would have been an inaccessible process for everyone and for %99 of musicians an impossible mission of gear sourcing, until about a decade ago.

You can obviously promote and make your own videos with similar online tools now.

You know what? People still use professional studios. Still need video directors and producers. I just went to a professional studio with my non virtual gear in hand.

People also still hire PR, and they still press vinyl . All of these are resurgent because easy access and the ability to tinker for curious people or dilettantes does not a serious musician make, and art is clearly the subtle membrane separating the joy of “can” with the questing for “why?”.

But as I said, my years feeling uniquely qualified and proud of my personal gear and the sound I got for live performing and for in-studio were altered in the face of ubiquitous new tool access. I got dismayed.

It has taken me 10 years to start on a new album. Studios are better than ever and all that the plug in online sound revolution did was accentuate the ability for a studio to cater to a musician’s needs, by mixing the new tools with the old.

It’s turning out through the insta / phone revolution that most people (even with an eye) put little time into deepening process and most Landscape photography observably differs (despite filters) from a snap by a tourist to a person on the hunt with a proper camera.

Old tools, like an actual amp, with a guitar which has been “broken in”, with a real spring reverb laid across the room, the right room, the time spent on song writing, the right band mates or engineer, and the awareness of sound as a flowing properly outside of the computer, moving through the electricity in the air - is an entirely undefeatable endeavour.

So it is with photography. No one can replicate the hours spent, the tactile relationship to a camera made to be brought to the eye, the meaning behind the activity which emboldens beyond quick fix satisfaction.

Don’t give up.

You’ll come back anyways. If it truly called you to begin with.

It keeps happening for me with music, photography, teaching meditation (in the face of the mindfulness trend), visual art- after seeing what is popular.

I quit every year, multiple times a year, wonder why, become exhausted, I become cynical... something calls it all back.  I do it because deep down I have to

I try and remember that.

(Oh, and the impeachment seems a confused flailing plan if desirable for many)

🥂
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2019, 11:09:19 am »

...Old tools, like an actual amp, with a guitar which has been “broken in”, with a real spring reverb laid across the room, the right room, the time spent on song writing, the right band mates or engineer, and the awareness of sound as a flowing properly outside of the computer, moving through the electricity in the air - is an entirely undefeatable endeavour.

So it is with photography. No one can replicate the hours spent, the tactile relationship to a camera made to be brought to the eye, the meaning behind the activity which emboldens beyond quick fix satisfaction...

When I want to slow down and contemplate my navel, I grab my film equipment, tripod and hand held light meter.  If I take three shots in that day, it's a lot.  I get peaceful, one with nature, and myself. 

faberryman

« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2019, 12:10:19 pm »

Let's try to stay on topic folks. Navel gazing about why you are a photographer deserves its own thread.

On impeachment, Special Envoy Volker, who resigned on Friday, and acted as a go-between between Giuliani and President Zelensky's aide, is set to be deposed on Thursday. Pompeo is crying he and his underlings need more time to prepare for depositions and produce documents than the October 4th deadline Schiff et al. has given them. After all, Schiff gave Giuliani until the 15th to produce his documents. Meanwhile, Trump is desperately trying to find out the identity of the whistleblower, whose anonymity is protected under federal whistleblower law.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2019, 12:16:20 pm »

Of seemingly little importance to the Trump apologists here is the fact that the Trump administration deemed it necessary hide the call record.

The only thing worse than hiding is being caught hiding.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2019, 12:23:35 pm »

Of seemingly little importance to the Trump apologists here is the fact that the Trump administration deemed it necessary hide the call record...

It should have stayed hidden (classified). Making it public is doing more damage to the US foreign policy than hundred phone calls like that. There is a reason things are classified.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2019, 12:39:28 pm »

It's amazing how serious this situation is and yet, Pelosi let her house leave on a two week recess.  You would think impeachment and treason and a "betrayal of his oath of office," as Pelosi put it, would warrant immediate action and forgoing of any vacations.  But I guess everyone, even Democrats, need a little away time from work to blow off steam.   

Anyway, until there is an actual vote on the floor that gets enough ya's to pass (maybe 4th time will be charm since, you know, they voted 3 times before and failed), this is all theatre.  But I really doubt a vote will ever happen that actually gets enough votes.  Pelosi will surely see any floored impeachment inquiry gets just enough votes to please the progressives but never actually passes.  Why? 

An interesting aspect about parliamentary procedure is that only the majority party has subpoena power, allowing them to control the conversation ... unless there is a formal impeachment investigation.  Then the minority party can start making subpoenas and forcing their side of the story.  Not a great idea when still half the country is against impeachment and a sizable portion are still undecided. 

As I said before, at the end of the day, this will go nowhere, yet again, except that Biden's campaign is ruined and Liberals will have the exceptionally difficult task of convincing swing states to back the far left wing policies of Warren.  Good luck with that! 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 12:42:38 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Peter McLennan

« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2019, 12:45:21 pm »

It should have stayed hidden (classified). Making it public is doing more damage to the US foreign policy than hundred phone calls like that. There is a reason things are classified.

Why?  Trump himself termed the call "perfect".  Why hide perfection?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2019, 01:56:20 pm »

Why?  Trump himself termed the call "perfect".  Why hide perfection?
Presidential phone calls with foreign leaders are classified as a regular procedure. Trump declassified it and released it immediately to clear up the matter. Yet you criticize him.

faberryman

« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2019, 02:22:11 pm »

Presidential phone calls with foreign leaders are classified as a regular procedure. Trump declassified it and released it immediately to clear up the matter. Yet you criticize him.
It did not exactly clear things up.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2019, 03:34:22 pm »

It did not exactly clear things up.

The call was buried at a deeper level, on a higher-security server than "normal" presidential phone calls.

You didn't answer the question: "Why?"

And he released a redacted voice-to-text version. Apparently the call wasn't audio recorded.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2019, 04:34:24 pm »

The call was buried at a deeper level, on a higher-security server than "normal" presidential phone calls.

You didn't answer the question: "Why?"

And he released a redacted voice-to-text version. Apparently the call wasn't audio recorded.
This is starting to sound like the collusion controversy that lasted 2 1/2 years.    Meanwhile no one is discussing the real issues of the country. It's all politics.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2019, 05:00:10 pm »

This is starting to sound like the collusion controversy that lasted 2 1/2 years.    Meanwhile no one is discussing the real issues of the country. It's all politics.

Although I do not normally like to reference Fox News, since I find it too partisan like MSNBC, there is an interesting take on this by a former Democratic DC operative.  Before going on to give his take, one thing we all need to remember is that many house Dems are in primary challenges with far left wing progressives who are foaming at the mouth over impeachment, and no one wants to become a victim of the next AOC.  This is a big part of the reason so many Dems are backing impeachment. 

So, according to the article, Pelosi has timed this so that the impeachment inquiry will be active throughout the primaries, leaving those in progressive districts safe.  But, more then likely, this will blow over just afterwards so that those in moderate or Trump districts will be able to campaign on policy. 

Of course, the writer does point out the flaw that this will probably destroy Joe Biden and the Dems will be stuck with defending and selling ultra-progressive policies of Warren.  He predicts that Warren will probably out perform HRC in NY and CA, but is questionable whether she would ever appeal to swing state voters. 

I personally feel Warren would loose NY, especially if you take into account De Blasio's failed time in office and the pushing away of Amazon.  Additionally, I just cant see what those Dems in moderate districts could possibly run on policy wise since they have accomplished nothing to sell. 

Anyway, this is just a one ring circus at this point.  If an official impeachment investigation passes the house floor and the house Republicans get subpoena power, that is when Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus comes out of retirement. 

Biden may survive this current situation, but an official investigation will bring never ending subpoenas of Hunter Biden and associates to the hill.  I just cant imagine anyone else but Biden giving Trump a run for his money in the swing states. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 05:07:48 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2019, 05:30:06 pm »

Although I do not normally like to reference Fox News, since I find it too partisan like MSNBC, there is an interesting take on this by a former Democratic DC operative.  Before going on to give his take, one thing we all need to remember is that many house Dems are in primary challenges with far left wing progressives who are foaming at the mouth over impeachment, and no one wants to become a victim of the next AOC.  This is a big part of the reason so many Dems are backing impeachment. 

So, according to the article, Pelosi has timed this so that the impeachment inquiry will be active throughout the primaries, leaving those in progressive districts safe.  But, more then likely, this will blow over just afterwards so that those in moderate or Trump districts will be able to campaign on policy. 

Of course, the writer does point out the flaw that this will probably destroy Joe Biden and the Dems will be stuck with defending and selling ultra-progressive policies of Warren.  He predicts that Warren will probably out perform HRC in NY and CA, but is questionable whether she would ever appeal to swing state voters. 

I personally feel Warren would loose NY, especially if you take into account De Blasio's failed time in office and the pushing away of Amazon.  Additionally, I just cant see what those Dems in moderate districts could possibly run on policy wise since they have accomplished nothing to sell. 

Anyway, this is just a one ring circus at this point.  If an official impeachment investigation passes the house floor and the house Republicans get subpoena power, that is when Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus comes out of retirement. 

Biden may survive this current situation, but an official investigation will bring never ending subpoenas of Hunter Biden and associates to the hill.  I just cant imagine anyone else but Biden giving Trump a run for his money in the swing states. 

If Biden starts dropping in the polls, you could see Hillary jump in again to pick up the "moderate" banner.  Blacks especially in the South in the early nomination process like the Clintons.  They don;t identify with Indian Princess Warren who tried to fake her minority status. Also, she's too professorial for middle American whites.  She's got a strange tick the way her body moves like someone who can;t dance who's trying to do the lindy hop.

NY and CA will never vote for Trump even if he promised them lifetime greens fee passes to all his golf courses.  I agree about the impeachment.  It's just to keep the investigation going to keep on hurting Trump because they want to make the election about Trump.  The Dems haven't done anything important since he was elected except to try to impeach him.  We use to wait for elections to get rid of presidents we didn't like.  What the Dems forget is what goes around comes around.  One day they'll be a Democrat president and a Republican House.  So the wheel will turn.  On the other hand, this may just be the Dems chance to get even for the 1990's Bill Clinton impeachment, another stupid waste of time that hurt the country.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 05:33:54 pm by Alan Klein »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2019, 05:42:22 pm »

I thought this was an interesting article about telephone security https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/01/white-house-trump-leaks-code-015194. I am kind of surprised to hear that the President didn't already have the best that money can buy.
--
Robert

Peter McLennan

« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2019, 07:52:52 pm »

So, it's not important what he appears to have done?

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2019, 08:23:21 pm »

I thought this was an interesting article about telephone security https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/01/white-house-trump-leaks-code-015194. I am kind of surprised to hear that the President didn't already have the best that money can buy.

I have some familiarity with the types of national secrets stored on the "system" referred to in this Politico account, although not the particular White House server, itself, and the report about a recent access-control "upgrade" during the Trump Administration doesn't ring true: any connection always should have been logged to identify the specific individual, the particular information, and the type of access.  I've read several stories today that attempt to explain how information of this kind is restricted and they all contain what appear to me to be errors.  I suspect these are the result of people in the government (who really shouldn't be discussing this stuff except with appropriate executive branch agencies and the two congressional intelligence committees) trying to be discreet to avoid revealing sensitive information to reporters, who in turn aren't equipped to understand what their sources are telling them.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 08:44:55 pm by Chris Kern »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2019, 08:36:06 pm »

So, it's not important what he appears to have done?
The "appearance" that Trump colluded with the Russians was a setup by Democrats and people who hate Trump.  So we wasted 2 1/2 years down the rabbit hole chasing our tails for no reason.  Sure, it helped Democrats win the House.  But it didn't help the country.  So now we'll chase our tails for another year or so until  the next election.  It might help the Democrats win more power, what this whole thing is all about anyway.  But it also won't help the country.  The whole thing just sucked all the oxygen out of the room.  We can't discuss anything else that's really important. 

Surprisingly, despite the attacks and not much happening in Washington, Trump somehow manages to keep things going: NK, China, trade, taxes, deregulation, immigration, the wall, etc.  He learned in business how his personal power can get things done and has applied that as president during his stay in Washington.  Once he's out of office, and people can relax and think more calmly , there will be a real analysis of what he's singularly accomplished that people just didn't have the time to notice while he was doing it.  The fact he can do these things while under the pressure he's under makes it twice as amazing. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2019, 08:50:55 pm »

I have some familiarity with the types of national secrets stored on the "system" referred to in this Politico account, although not the particular White House server, itself, and the report about a recent access-control "upgrade" during the Trump Administration doesn't ring true: any connection always should have been logged to identify the specific individual, the particular information, and the type of access.  I've read several stories today that attempt to explain how information of this kind is restricted and they all contain what appear to me to be errors.  I suspect these are the result of people in the government (who really shouldn't be discussing this stuff except with appropriate executive branch agencies and the two congressional intelligence committees) trying to be discreet to avoid revealing sensitive information to reporters, who in turn aren't equipped to understand what their sources are telling them.
Chris, You dangled some sweet fruit in front of us.  Then pulled it away.  Thanks.  :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 196   Go Up