Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Card stock recommendations?  (Read 420 times)

edhackett

Card stock recommendations?
« on: September 22, 2019, 08:44:14 pm »

Hello, all,

I enjoy printing birthday, holiday, and other such cards, partly to save a bit of money but overwhelmingly to share images I like and for the sheer fun of it (using LR and a 3880).  I’ve been using Red River 7 x 10 card stock but would like to try something new.  Any favorites you’d recommend?

Thanks and best wishes,

Ed

mearussi

Re: Card stock recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 10:26:23 pm »

My favorite is Innova Art's ifa 45 a warm white 100% cotton luster paper. Excellent color and dmax and the soft white surface makes an excellent writing surface. But you have to cut and fold it yourself since the smallest it comes is 8.5x11.

https://www.itsupplies.com/Innova-Exhibition-Cotton-Gloss-335gsm-IFA45-p/37606.htm

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 08:53:42 am »

I've been using Museo Artist Cards for a number of years.  they come in different sizes and are pre-scored and fold very easily.  You can get them from a number of distributors.  https://www.museofineart.com/museo-artist-cards-2/

edhackett

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 04:34:52 pm »

Thanks very much for the recommendations and links!  I'm eager to give them a try...

Best wishes,

Ed

Stngoldberg

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 08:27:37 pm »

After an extensive search, I found that RED RIVER Paper and the paper that most resembles the thickness of a genuine postcard
Glossy on one side and normal paper look on the back
Stanley

mearussi

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 09:09:41 pm »

After an extensive search, I found that RED RIVER Paper and the paper that most resembles the thickness of a genuine postcard
Glossy on one side and normal paper look on the back
Stanley

It looks good but it's also sensitive to moisture and will warp if exposed to high humidity over time. That's the advantage to a 100% cotton stock, it's not near as sensitive to moisture, just more expensive.

MHMG

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 10:46:32 pm »

It looks good but it's also sensitive to moisture and will warp if exposed to high humidity over time. That's the advantage to a 100% cotton stock, it's not near as sensitive to moisture, just more expensive.

???? Cotton papers are every bit as hygroscopic as alpha cellulose papers. Not quite sure what you mean by "not near as sensitive to moisture". Cotton papers can warp and cockle under adverse humidity conditions just as much as alphacellulose "wood pulp" papers. A key advantage to cotton fibers is that they are lignin-free and thus not dependent on additional manufacturing steps that may or may not be entirely successful at removing the lignin from wood pulp stock.

regards,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

mearussi

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 01:03:17 am »

???? Cotton papers are every bit as hygroscopic as alpha cellulose papers. Not quite sure what you mean by "not near as sensitive to moisture". Cotton papers can warp and cockle under adverse humidity conditions just as much as alphacellulose "wood pulp" papers. A key advantage to cotton fibers is that they are lignin-free and thus not dependent on additional manufacturing steps that may or may not be entirely successful at removing the lignin from wood pulp stock.

regards,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
Just speaking from personal experience. The RR card stock after a while developed a sever bow/warp that I couldn't get out which I assume was from the normal high humidity in Western Oregon. My experience with my normal card stock (Innova Art ifa45 100% rag) under the same storage conditions was fine with no noticeable warpage.

I've also had similar problems with other cheap papers (as opposed to 100% cotton papers) where the warpage was uneven and never really came out. My understanding is that the way the fibers are laid down in manufacturer has an influence on how the final product handles high humidity, with higher quality papers being made with finer fibers laid down in a more random pattern.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 01:06:44 am by mearussi »

MHMG

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 09:24:09 am »

Just speaking from personal experience. The RR card stock after a while developed a sever bow/warp that I couldn't get out which I assume was from the normal high humidity in Western Oregon. My experience with my normal card stock (Innova Art ifa45 100% rag) under the same storage conditions was fine with no noticeable warpage.

I've also had similar problems with other cheap papers (as opposed to 100% cotton papers) where the warpage was uneven and never really came out. My understanding is that the way the fibers are laid down in manufacturer has an influence on how the final product handles high humidity, with higher quality papers being made with finer fibers laid down in a more random pattern.

The bowing/warping is related to the humidity coefficient of expansion differences between front side coating(s), base sheet, and anti-curl coatings on verso. While base sheet properties do play a role, your observations with the RR card stock probably have more to do with the coatings and lack of an effective anti-curl layer on the verso.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 04:55:34 pm »

The Museo cards are coated on both sides and I've never seen any issues with them bowing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up