Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gassing Off?  (Read 372 times)

ajz

Gassing Off?
« on: November 04, 2019, 04:49:08 pm »

I recently did a small exhibit of my prints - b&W and color, 16 x 20's matted and framed w/museum glass. Usually, I wait 48 hours prior to framing a print. However, about 1/2 of the images - both color & b&w show a ghosting on the back of the glass. I never recalled this with prior matting/framing - or my memory has slipped!

Using P800 with usually GFS or Canston papers.

What might be the usual time? Is the issue perhaps paper/ink dependent as to gassing off?

thanks for any insight.

aj

mearussi

Re: Gassing Off?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 09:52:18 pm »

What you are seeing is indeed outgassing, but 24 hours is usually enough time (or so the recommendation goes). But how long outgassing takes is also dependent on air temperature and humidity as well as time. If your prints were made/stored in a cooler than "normal" room temp or the air was very humid then the time allowed for outgassing would need to be extended. And 24 hours is just an average time for the "average" print. It could easily be dependent on ink/paper combinations as well.

Another aggravating factor is if the framed prints were exposed to extra heat or light causing what little water (the primary chemical that out gasses) to finish evaporating.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Gassing Off?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 07:47:26 am »

What you are seeing is indeed outgassing, but 24 hours is usually enough time (or so the recommendation goes). But how long outgassing takes is also dependent on air temperature and humidity as well as time. If your prints were made/stored in a cooler than "normal" room temp or the air was very humid then the time allowed for outgassing would need to be extended. And 24 hours is just an average time for the "average" print. It could easily be dependent on ink/paper combinations as well.

Another aggravating factor is if the framed prints were exposed to extra heat or light causing what little water (the primary chemical that out gasses) to finish evaporating.
I think this explanation is pretty much correct.  I seem to remember reading a post some years ago about outgassing and Ilford Gold Fiber Silk.  I was printing on it a fair bit and would usually give it three days before framing.  I did not observe any issues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up