Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to print 44" x 66" prints on Canon Pro 4000 printer  (Read 877 times)

SalvatoreSicily

Looking to print 44" x 66" prints on Canon Pro 4000 printer
« on: September 13, 2019, 01:38:16 pm »

Hello Luminous Landscape forum,

I've recently gotten into photography and I've purchased a Canon Pro 4000 priner and a Canon 5d Mark III camera.

I decided to create 44" x 66" photos for an upcoming event and I'm concerned about the picture quality for prints of that size. And suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SharonVL

Re: Looking to print 44" x 66" prints on Canon Pro 4000 printer
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 01:46:39 pm »

A lot of people will tell you you can get good prints from a 22mp camera at that size but I don't think you can. That's too much uprezzing. I guess it depends on how good a print you want and if that quality fits your aesthetic.

Sharon

SharonVL

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 01:49:44 pm »

It could also depend on the subject matter.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 01:57:41 pm »

Hello Luminous Landscape forum,

I've recently gotten into photography and I've purchased a Canon Pro 4000 priner and a Canon 5d Mark III camera.

I decided to create 44" x 66" photos for an upcoming event and I'm concerned about the picture quality for prints of that size. And suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would not recommend trying to make a 44 inch print on a 44 inch printer. I'd leave at least an inch and a half on both sides of the roll, making the print 41 inches wide, or tall if it's in landscape orientation.

stockjock

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 02:49:30 pm »

Obviously, it depends on your subject matter but I think you will find that the 5D Mark III simply doesn't have enough pixels to print at that size successfully for most subjects, at least if the viewer is going to be permitted to inspect the image closely.  If they are only able to look at the print from 3-4' away that is a different story.

If you are making very large prints from relatively small files you should look into Topaz Gigapixel AI.  It is far from foolproof but it does a much better job uprezzing many images than other alternatives.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 02:57:14 pm »

While the results of a single image file from the 5D MkIII might leave you wanting in terms of "crispness" at that size, you can easily get much larger file sizes by stitching multiple overlapping  images together in Photoshop. This works well for static subjects such as landscapes.

SharonVL

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 03:04:29 pm »

While the results of a single image file from the 5D MkIII might leave you wanting in terms of "crispness" at that size, you can easily get much larger file sizes by stitching multiple overlapping  images together in Photoshop. This works well for static subjects such as landscapes.

That's true, John and a good solution.

Sharon

mearussi

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 05:15:18 pm »

Several things to consider:
1. if people are going to view the print up close then 22mp will not look very good.
2. depending on the subject, if you can use pano stitching then with enough shots you can make the print as finely detailed as you want.
3. if the image is single shot only then rent a higher mp body like the Canon 5DS R. This will help some but will still fall short of what a good pano stitch will do.
4. if people are only going to see it from 20' or more then just use the camera you have.

deanwork

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 05:35:59 pm »

There is a whole art to adjusting less than ideal dslr files of various subject matter to various size prints on various media - specifically in relation to how to size that file in regard to pixels sent to the printer, and how much sharpness, selective sharpening, and noise reduction to apply. There is no simple answer to any of that. The best software I’ve used to resample smaller dslr files is QImage which is well worth the small price. It’s pc only though. You can test it with a free demo.

One thing you can do is this with q image or without: Make two versions of the file, one saved at 300 ppi and one sized at 150 ppi ( 40x60. Look at them at 100% on the screen and apply sharpening as far as you can go without seeing obvious edge fringing or extreme noise. ) Crop out a section of the image about 11x14 that is an area that needs to be sharp. Send both of these tests separately to the printer. Compare the two. I’ll bet you the 150 ppi file will look sharper and smoother at that scale as the result of less interpolation being done. This is my experience in doing this for many years on the Canon. I actually just sent two 44x60 portrait prints made from damn srgb jpegs to London for a show and they looked amazingly decent. The client gave me these files as already sized 300 ppi 40x60s jpegs ( they lost the raw files...)  that were so upsized and soft as to be unusable at the larger pixel size, I couldn’t begin to sharpen them or save them with Photo kit sharpener. But dropping the image pixel size in half allowed me to sharpen them with careful noise reduction applied in Noiseware.

Having said all that it’s my opinion like others here that making prints that size from that camera is in general a very bad idea. Maybe if you are doing some fuzzy abstract landscape you can get away with it, otherwise not a great idea and even fuzzy landscapes should have more quality pixels. Other people will tell you they make great prints that size all the time from their IPhone files. Whatever.

John

That's true, John and a good solution.

Sharon
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 05:41:49 pm by deanwork »

elliot_n

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 05:43:47 pm »

I would not recommend trying to make a 44 inch print on a 44 inch printer.

Why's that?

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 06:27:34 pm »

Why's that?

I've found that the printing at the edge of the roll is not as clean, and I want the framer to have some room to trim. If you're using archival matting, you need space for the white around the print to show through the mat and room for the photo corners.

Jim

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 06:35:27 pm »

With all paper rolls i have used i find hahnemule's fine art quality very good and constant. The quality of my roll of Canson platine is indeed a problem sometimes i need a reprint.
Cheaper paper like HP's non professional paper has changes in thickness. Indeed the edges of the rolls are more vulnerable.
I am not printing enough to make statistical claims, but this is what i notice.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 08:10:35 pm »

I've found that the printing at the edge of the roll is not as clean, and I want the framer to have some room to trim. If you're using archival matting, you need space for the white around the print to show through the mat and room for the photo corners.

Jim

Jim,

Maybe on papers but no problems on canvas. Been printing large wide canvas prints over 10 years with no issues.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 08:42:30 pm »

Jim,

Maybe on papers but no problems on canvas. Been printing large wide canvas prints over 10 years with no issues.

I'll buy that. And usually the outside part gets wrapped around the stretchers, and nobody's gonna look at it hard anyway. But when I print for stretched canvas, I stop the image itself at the edge of the stretcher, and fill what's outside that with something that will look good on the edges of the stretcher. That limits the image size to the roll width less twice what's lost in the stretching.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 12:15:32 am »

With good craft, large prints from "small" files is quite possible, look great and my experience will tell you to ignore the math & naysayers and simply go for it!

You need to start with a well chosen, well-crafted image using your best technique, carefully process it then you should be fine. Don't let the math get in the way that tells you otherwise.

That said I've created 24x36 prints from an iPhone image because the image quality was good enough and hung them in up in a museum and the curator was impressed when we told her what we used. A well-edited and well-selected images, even just a 6 mp file, will handle a two-page spread. That same little image with the continued technique of good craft in the process will look good on the wall as a 20x30 or even larger print.

Nearby where I live is a hotel of several hundred 30x40 prints that I created from mainly 10-12 megapixel files. I still take small files today that many would say couldn't be printed well...and then I print them both large and well.

Today, the prints are are even better from a few more megapixels and a little more technology and practice with my current images though mostly this is from my technique of overall craft of getting the best image, meticulous processing and selective editing.

With your Canon Mk. III, 40x60 prints using your best craft are possible and should be quite stunning to the vast majority of viewers. There will always be nit-pickers who tell you otherwise and tell you every technical flaw, but a technically perfect image on a print without emotion and soul is but an empty sheet of paper. So

I'd tell you take your best image, print it large and put it on the wall, look at it, enjoy it then go out and share your vision!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

deanwork

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 10:20:37 am »

The criteria for “ great” and “stunning” large  print image quality has been redefined since the emergence of smart phones. Actually it started with the dreadful Canon 20D, but that’s a long story....Beyond a certain limit there is no software or “craft” that can reproduce the clarity and beauty of a large sensor camera. If it were possible no one would be investing in these 37, 47, on up megapixel cameras with the Sony chips. I see a lot of horrific stuff hanging up everywhere, even in expensive hotels, hospitals, restaurants, etc. But yes it is possible that someone who has never actually seen a great print could refer to it as stunning. My clients wouldn’t buy it.

John

With good craft, large prints from "small" files is quite possible, look great and my experience will tell you to ignore the math & naysayers and simply go for it!

You need to start with a well chosen, well-crafted image using your best technique, carefully process it then you should be fine. Don't let the math get in the way that tells you otherwise.

That said I've created 24x36 prints from an iPhone image because the image quality was good enough and hung them in up in a museum and the curator was impressed when we told her what we used. A well-edited and well-selected images, even just a 6 mp file, will handle a two-page spread. That same little image with the continued technique of good craft in the process will look good on the wall as a 20x30 or even larger print.

Nearby where I live is a hotel of several hundred 30x40 prints that I created from mainly 10-12 megapixel files. I still take small files today that many would say couldn't be printed well...and then I print them both large and well.

Today, the prints are are even better from a few more megapixels and a little more technology and practice with my current images though mostly this is from my technique of overall craft of getting the best image, meticulous processing and selective editing.

With your Canon Mk. III, 40x60 prints using your best craft are possible and should be quite stunning to the vast majority of viewers. There will always be nit-pickers who tell you otherwise and tell you every technical flaw, but a technically perfect image on a print without emotion and soul is but an empty sheet of paper. So

I'd tell you take your best image, print it large and put it on the wall, look at it, enjoy it then go out and share your vision!

Binartem

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2019, 05:22:51 pm »

The best software I’ve used to resample smaller dslr files is QImage which is well worth the small price. It’s pc only though. You can test it with a free demo.

Thanks, John.

Just wanted to let anyone reading know that Qimage One is available for Windows and macOS, including a 14-day free trial of both:

https://www.binartem.com/qimageone/

Qimage Ultimate from ddisfotware, Inc. is Windows only.

Binartem, Inc.
ddisoftware, Inc.

aaronchan

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 02:48:57 am »

https://www.amazon.com/Color-Management-Quality-Output-Working/dp/0240821114/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=tom+p+ashe&qid=1568529925&sr=8-1

Read this book, try to get more knowledge about color management and fine art printing before you press your print button on your computer. A proper workflow is needed to get a good print. This book is written by Tom who has been teaching in School of Visual Arts for years, he teaches color management and fine art printing, photo techniques and also, he is now the chairman of the Master of Digital Photography dept.

I recommended this book is because I have read serveral books related to color management and by far, this is the eariest to understand and also the most up to date book.

aaron

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2019, 03:55:50 pm »

Thanks, John.

Just wanted to let anyone reading know that Qimage One is available for Windows and macOS, including a 14-day free trial of both:

https://www.binartem.com/qimageone/

Qimage Ultimate from ddisfotware, Inc. is Windows only.

Great software! Interface is not that intuitive, but it works great!

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2019, 05:18:07 pm »

Great software! Interface is not that intuitive

I'll say!

but it works great!

It does indeed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up