Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac Pro issue  (Read 1228 times)

deanwork

Mac Pro issue
« on: September 04, 2019, 11:44:12 am »

I have a circa 2010 Mac Pro that I use to drive print jobs. It has always worked perfectly, but recently when I go to start it and push the start button on the front panel nothing happens, until after about 5 minutes of frequently pushing the button  it finally starts normally. Then I can work as long as I want.

But  if I leave the computer in sleep mode after an hour or so of not using it won’t wake up. Turned sleep mode to never sleep and the same thing happens. But if I’m working it never crashes.

Does this sound like the power supply module and if so are they easy to replace?  I’ve seen them on eBay for this model anywhere from $95.00 to $300.00. I wouldn’t put more than $150.00 into this old Mac.

John

Joe Towner

Re: Mac Pro issue
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 11:53:30 am »

Still have your old DVDs for the Mac? Running the hardware test may tell you everything you'd want to know.  I would also make sure the 'put hard drives to sleep' is not checked.
t: @PNWMF

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 01:19:33 pm »

I think it is software or maybe the batterie inside that needs a replacement.
What i would do:

1 clean the system from cache etc with ONYX
(https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html)

see if that helps ( this program is good and uses only mac native software to clean-you can run it once every few months)

make a new user: test
see if you log in a a new user the printing works better

make a clean system on a separate harddisk. Startup from there and see if the problem  persists...

(the hardware test as mentioned can do no harm either)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 02:22:12 pm »

Thanks a lot. I executed the Onyx cleaning command and checked the hard drive and it said no problems reported.

I may have cleaned the old startup files and Ill see when I finish work today if it helped anything.

I don’t have the original Mac dvd for a hardware test. Can I download that from an Apple link? I did repair permissions from the hard drive utility.

Unfortunately I did not make a copy early on of the OS which is El Capitan so I can’t revert back to that. Can one download older Mac OS 10.11 from the web somewhere so I could put it on another hard drive?

John

I think it is software or maybe the batterie inside that needs a replacement.
What i would do:

1 clean the system from cache etc with ONYX
(https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html)

see if that helps ( this program is good and uses only mac native software to clean-you can run it once every few months)

make a new user: test
see if you log in a a new user the printing works better

make a clean system on a separate harddisk. Startup from there and see if the problem  persists...

(the hardware test as mentioned can do no harm either)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 03:38:06 pm by deanwork »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 05:43:50 pm »

Can one download older Mac OS 10.11 from the web somewhere so I could put it on another hard drive?
From Apple
https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT206886

Do you have a Time Machine backup from that era?
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

deanwork

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 06:08:53 pm »

Thanks. No I never set up Time Machine on that Mac. My bad.

From Apple
https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT206886

Do you have a Time Machine backup from that era?

Joe Towner

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 06:30:42 pm »

I don’t have the original Mac dvd for a hardware test. Can I download that from an Apple link? I did repair permissions from the hard drive utility.
I know I have one, will rip it to a dmg and send you a link.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 06:53:14 pm »

I have found a place to download el capitan but do not know it is a safe place....
https://www.downloadelcapitan.com/

succes

PK
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

deanwork

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 09:19:07 pm »

Thanks guys. I think I solved it. I did more googling and then cleared the PRAM, which I’ve never heard of.
You do that by restarting the Mac while holding down Control - Command - P- R- keys at the same time as it boots up.

After that it starts with just one light touch to the on button. Strange.

I’m also going to look into replacing the battery that might have some effect since it’s so old.

If I have any more issues I’m going to see about reinstalling the OS on a separate hard drive, but so far so good.

This is a good forum, I appreciate all the knowledge here.

John

quote author=kers link=topic=132006.msg1128617#msg1128617 date=1567637594]
I have found a place to download el capitan but do not know it is a safe place....
https://www.downloadelcapitan.com/

succes

PK
[/quote]

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 03:57:55 am »

if you needed to clear the Pram then maybe the little battery inside the macpro is empty.
After 5-10 years that could be the case; it takes care of the clock and some memory when not connected to electra.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Joe Towner

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 07:18:07 pm »

PRAM, of course :-p

If anyone is looking for earlier OS builds drop me a PM - between the fun of finding earlier installers and having to reset the date it's always something.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 10:10:27 am »

5 years ago for me it was the power supply and that solved the issue for my start-up. Originally I thought it may be the switch but I eventually rules that and other issues out. However, my won't wake from sleep issue could be the PRAM or the battery since I haven't done the former in awhile and I haven't checked the battery since I think I swapped the power supply several years back...

My MacPro is a 2009 4,1 model I found on Craig's List years ago and simply runs and runs. I've upgraded it with RAID and SSDs to a max it out along with 32Gb ram then flashed it to 5,1, added a 6-core 3.45GHZ and newer video with GPU and it's still plugging away today.

These machines were built to last!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 10:54:58 am »

5 years ago for me it was the power supply and that solved the issue for my start-up. Originally I thought it may be the switch but I eventually rules that and other issues out. However, my won't wake from sleep issue could be the PRAM or the battery since I haven't done the former in awhile and I haven't checked the battery since I think I swapped the power supply several years back...

My MacPro is a 2009 4,1 model I found on Craig's List years ago and simply runs and runs. I've upgraded it with RAID and SSDs to a max it out along with 32Gb ram then flashed it to 5,1, added a 6-core 3.45GHZ and newer video with GPU and it's still plugging away today.

These machines were built to last!
+1  mine ( 2008) still working like a charm, but my new computer is 5x faster, and it supports 5K.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

deanwork

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2019, 07:33:20 pm »

Hell I spoke too soon. It went back to doing the same thing. Ug. But if I hold down the start button for 10 seconds it’s starting now. Still not waking up if asleep for some time though.

I have two of this era macs, an 8 core and this quad core and I’ve certainly got my money out of them. Yea but working with big image files a lot slower than the trash can models I’ve used.

I’m going to try replacing the battery and if that doesn’t work I’ll replace the power supply if I can find one fairly cheap. I found a graphics card on eBay last year that supports 4K but I haven’t tried it yet cause still haven’t bought a 4 k display.

John

+1  mine ( 2008) still working like a charm, but my new computer is 5x faster, and it supports 5K.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2019, 09:26:43 pm »

Usually when you have a hardware problem it is very obvious- - it just stops working.puff  Not half half...
A new battery is a good choice and a clean system is another.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

deanwork

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2019, 10:24:51 pm »

I see. Makes sense. I’ll replace the battery and if that’s not it put a new os on another drive somehow.

Usually when you have a hardware problem it is very obvious- - it just stops working.puff  Not half half...
A new battery is a good choice and a clean system is another.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2019, 07:24:37 am »

Does it chime on power up? If so it is probably not hardware. Do a First Aid on the drive too.

deanwork

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2019, 04:32:23 pm »

No, come to think of it it doesn’t chime and it’s plugged into a speaker.

Does it chime on power up? If so it is probably not hardware. Do a First Aid on the drive too.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2019, 06:08:03 pm »

No, come to think of it it doesn’t chime and it’s plugged into a speaker.
Then assuming that the volume is turned up it failed the hardware test.
Try this
https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201257
Pages: [1]   Go Up