Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitors - 2 4K vs 2 non-4K  (Read 713 times)

armand

• Photos
Monitors - 2 4K vs 2 non-4K
« on: August 31, 2019, 05:32:32 pm »

Currently I have 2 monitors, my old HP LP2475w (which was and still is my "accurate" color monitor) and a newer LG 32UK50T, that I recently got.
The reason I got a 4K was to be able to see some 4K videos at full resolution, which I did but in retrospect not a lot.
I knew the LG is probably not ideal for photo but they claimed 95% DCI-P3, IPS, factory profiling and was quite cheap (sale at Costco). The factory profiling doesn't look that bad with Delta E94 < 2 but it wasn't a part in the decision.
I profiled both monitors with a ColorMunki Photo and the LG is close although clearly not the same as the HP; I printed a couple of small prints for the sake of it and they were good enough but they were not very demanding.

These being said the angles of view are just plain bad and when editing in LR I get rainbow posterization often in the images that goes away if I zoom in at 1:1, let the image fully load and zoom out again. It's becoming annoying.
So why not do this on the HP? Well, for one thing the 32" vs 24" is nice and the 4K does give some punch. The main reason however is the difference in scaling. In order for the text to be normal sized, I set the text at 150%. This works fine for most applications when I move them from monitor to monitor. Now they are set up as the LG primary with the smaller HP as extension. Not so much with LR though. If I move it the image fills maybe 1/4 of the screen on the HP with the rest being the panels; it is somewhat workable if I minimize all panels but not ideal. So in the end I use the HP only for a final color adjustment, if needed.

Now, after this long introduction, do you happen to have 2 monitors with 2 significantly different resolutions? Does it work?
I kind of decided I'll replace one of them.
Question is should I go both 4K and which case I only have a couple of options, such as Benq SW271 or maybe the Asus PA329Q. I think I can make room for 2 32" on my desk.
Or should I give up for a while on 4K and get a 27" monitor at QHD? The best reviewed seems to be Nec PA271Q-bk (with or without Spectraview) but I feel I'm not sophisticated enough to get the most out of it and that I should save and go with something as Benq SW270c which probably is better than my current HP anyway. The reason why I'm a little reluctant to go 4K is also because my computer is getting old and while the video card should be enough to drive 2 4K (a RTX 2060), the processor is not. I will likely upgrade it within a year.

Thank you

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: Monitors - 2 4K vs 2 non-4K
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 06:26:15 am »

You don't mention whether you are on Windows or Mac and I'd guess they react differently.  On windows I have a 4k screen and have LR running at full screen, also with text at 150%.  If I grab LR and move it to my 2nd screen LR automatically switches to a "window" size, ie not full screen.  It may be about 1/4 size.  However all I need to do is click on the full screen icon top right and I'm looking at the full screen again.  I use the 2nd screen for thumbnails so that I can see many more than the filmstrip and this automatically switches as well.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 03:25:09 pm »

Windows, doubt an RTX card can be used in Mac.

If I grab LR and move it to my 2nd screen LR automatically switches to a "window" size, ie not full screen.  It may be about 1/4 size.  However all I need to do is click on the full screen icon top right and I'm looking at the full screen again.

Thank you but that's not the problem, when I said I'm not that sophisticated I was referring to color management  ;)

Here are 2 pictures to show it easier, the side panels are as small as I can get them. You can see that in the HD the actual picture is quite small relative to the screen. If LR would let you float the panels it would still work, but alas it doesn't.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 04:36:30 pm »

Got it.  Yes what you need is 150% on the 4k but only 100% on the lower res.  I'm assuming if you switch to 100% the LR screen is better or normal. 
Not possible so far as I know.  Maybe a shortcut to switch res in Windows? But I would not know how.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 12:26:43 pm »

I think I figured this out.
I usually opened LR on the 4K monitor for more real estate screen and basic adjustments than I was moving the LR window on the FHD screen for final adjustments, color in particular, if needed. As I said though, when I was doing this LR had huge toolbars that were taking away most of the screen (see first attached picture) and in order to be functional I had to use auto-hide for most of them. Well, it turns out that the main problem was LR not being smart enough to adjust on the fly the scaling as other applications do, such as Chrome.
If I opened LR from the beginning on the FHD monitor it looks much better, a quite workable solution, see second picture.
Pages: [1]   Go Up