Poll

Should members be forced to reveal first and surnames?

yes
- 28 (47.5%)
no
- 31 (52.5%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: September 17, 2019, 02:33:06 pm

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Who are you?  (Read 47908 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Who are you?
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2019, 04:54:42 pm »

... As has been pointed out by others and supported by me and others this is a PHOTOGRAPHIC site and should remain committed to that end.  Coffee corners in my opinion should be eliminated and more serious effort should be made to propagate the original reasons for founding this site....

What did YOU do to propagate this site? Where is YOUR article, or even YOUR photographs?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2019, 04:56:52 pm »

I don't get where you're going with all of this.  Is this direction YOU or ownership? 
Exactly my thoughts too. As the moderator, let alone the original poster, he can lock this down. But HE asked the question and now it's somehow a burden with posts filled with (in his opinion), nonsense. I'm out of here; time to cease notifications of this thread. I provided a vote, not that it means anything to anyone.  ;D
I agreed with someone else about political posts, I stick to that agreement.
This has turned into the usual CWOBaT (colossal waste of bandwidth and time), and somewhat my fault for falling into the trap of answering the poll and attempting to engage with mods.
But before I leave, in terms of where this has gone, the so called nonsense which are replies to the question asked, I have to provide feedback from good old Jules:

If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions.
― Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKS6xy87ewk
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

vjbelle

« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2019, 05:05:23 pm »

What did YOU do to propagate this site? Where is YOUR article, or even YOUR photographs?

Articles??? That's a reach!!  Photographs?? look around.  What I have always been sensitive to is the 'Club' that would always comment on any photograph posted by club members but an outsider wouldn't get the time of day.  If you want to see my photographs go to GetDpi where I post a lot of images. 

Get real......

Victor

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2019, 05:34:25 pm »

...go to GetDpi where I post a lot of images. 

Seriously!? You post images there but come here to pontificate?

vjbelle

« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2019, 06:02:02 pm »

Seriously!? You post images there but come here to pontificate?

No Slobodan.... I've posted images here..... look around. 

Are you one of the standard bearer's at LL??  No wonder why this place has gone down hill....

It really, really is time for a new direction here.....

Victor

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2019, 07:48:10 pm »

I vote no. Some of the longest flame wars on the forum are by people using real names. Use moderator powers to stop bad behavior.

Les

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2019, 11:56:50 pm »

How about a forum dedicated to unclogging septic tanks...

We already have that one:

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=131841.0

jeremyrh

« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2019, 01:56:10 am »

I vote no. Some of the longest flame wars on the forum are by people using real names. Use moderator powers to stop bad behavior.

Les

But who moderates the moderator?

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2019, 02:35:15 am »

The OP mentioned obnoxious behaviour.  I stop reading posts and threads that resort to such language.  If posters cannot express an opinion without being rude then IMHO, they are not worth reading.  That part of the original has been lost, so I will continue to self censor - a pity.  This thread has become meandering in a way that is not interesting, so bye bye thread, another self censor.

Best wishes,
Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

stamper

« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2019, 03:51:23 am »

What I find annoying is being told that if you don't like something then don't read it. If you don't read it then you won't know if you like it or not??? Jeremy bite the bullet and ban the politics. The same members are constantly arguing about topics which they will NEVER  agree on. :(

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2019, 04:46:07 am »

I post under my name but I don't care if others do or not. I will read the posts and do my best to react to the post not too who said it. Play the ball not the man.

As to getting rid of the politics I don't see why that should happen. A number of people clearly enjoy the debates and are quite active in that area. For myself I decided I don't have much to say and so decided to avoid posting on those threads. I do read through them on occasion, its interesting to read others opinions and perhaps I will pick up a fresh perspective.

I would prefer that there was more discussion on photographic subjects but it is what it is. Forums are weird. Is it that grumpy people like forums or is it that there are just a lot of grumpy people in the world?
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2019, 05:02:44 am »

But who moderates the moderator?

This guy.

Sorry, Oscar, I am weak and can never resist.

Rob C

« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2019, 07:13:13 am »

What I find annoying is being told that if you don't like something then don't read it. If you don't read it then you won't know if you like it or not??? Jeremy bite the bullet and ban the politics. The same members are constantly arguing about topics which they will NEVER  agree on. :(

And what many others dislike is being told that because another poster doesn't enjoy a particular set of threads, they should be closed down.

How incredibly arrogant!

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2019, 07:15:34 am »

Rob, my friend qnd 99.4 % of you I wish you the best.

IMO

BC

Thank you, BC; and as ever, I wish you and yours the best.

It's a difficult world out there.

:-)

Rob C

« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2019, 07:23:31 am »

Articles??? That's a reach!!  Photographs?? look around.  What I have always been sensitive to is the 'Club' that would always comment on any photograph posted by club members but an outsider wouldn't get the time of day.  If you want to see my photographs go to GetDpi where I post a lot of images. 

Get real......

Victor

Victor, do you then think of comments on pictures as a club thing, some kind of reward from some secret society within a society?

Many of my snaps receive no comment whatsoever. I accept that as indicating nobody thinks them worth commenting upon. I do the same thing sometimes, regardless of how friendly or otherwise I may be with the author.

It shows yet again that amateur photography is the most difficult branch of all: it has no valid reason why it should interest anyone but the shooter. In commercial life, you get your validation or otherwise pretty damned quickly, so you generally know if you are cutting it or not. An amateur is best off asking his partner...

KLaban

« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2019, 07:46:27 am »

Victor, do you then think of comments on pictures as a club thing, some kind of reward from some secret society within a society?

Many of my snaps receive no comment whatsoever. I accept that as indicating nobody thinks them worth commenting upon. I do the same thing sometimes, regardless of how friendly or otherwise I may be with the author.

It shows yet again that amateur photography is the most difficult branch of all: it has no valid reason why it should interest anyone but the shooter. In commercial life, you get your validation or otherwise pretty damned quickly, so you generally know if you are cutting it or not. An amateur is best off asking his partner...

Then why do you bother posting your own non-commercial images here on LuLa and viewing and commenting on those of others?

As an aside I feel pretty indifferent towards most commercial photography, including my own.

Rob C

« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2019, 09:16:53 am »

Then why do you bother posting your own non-commercial images here on LuLa and viewing and commenting on those of others?

As an aside I feel pretty indifferent towards most commercial photography, including my own.

Easy one: to discover if those snaps interest anyone else.

Regarding comments from my direction towards other's snaps: to encourage where I feel it is deserved, and to make a happier day all round. Probably much as you do yourself.

Certainly not from any feeling of being in a secret mafia.

;-)

KLaban

« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2019, 09:30:52 am »

Easy one: to discover if those snaps interest anyone else.

Regarding comments from my direction towards other's snaps: to encourage where I feel it is deserved, and to make a happier day all round. Probably much as you do yourself.

Certainly not from any feeling of being in a secret mafia.

;-)

But there's no valid reason why they should.

;-)

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2019, 09:34:59 am »

This guy.

Sorry, Oscar, I am weak and can never resist.

Sigh...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2019, 09:40:16 am »

Real Art trumps Real Name!

Da Beat (circa 2019)
Regards,
~ O ~