Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro-1000 Black & White Printing  (Read 1002 times)

Gusto5

Canon Pro-1000 Black & White Printing
« on: August 29, 2019, 12:56:53 pm »

I am new to the Canon Pro-1000 and to photo inkjet printing.
I'm currently focussed on exclusively printing black & white photos.

I have been printing from inside Photoshop (CS6 - Mac 10.13) using Print Studio Pro.
I've made BxW prints using the Color Mode Black & White setting inside PSP and using the Color Mode ICC profile.
I select the Media Type based on the info provided on the photo paper websites where they offer ICC profiles.
I've found the prints made using the Color Mode BxW setting have less tone, or at least do not print with as warm a tone as prints made using the ICC profiles. This is for papers that are commonly regarded as having a slightly warm tone.
For example printing on Ilford Gold Fibre Silk and Canson Platine Fibre Rag. 
I don't notice a difference between the presence of differential gloss and bronzing between the 2 approaches (color mode: BxW vs ICC).

My questions:
Which color mode setting do you use on your Canon Pro-1000 when making BxW prints?
Are there times you use Color Mode BxW and times you use ICC profile, and if so why?
Or would you suggest not using Print Studio Pro and print using a different Print program?

Edwin

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Canon Pro-1000 Black & White Printing
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 01:40:23 pm »

I can only answer for myself.  I print B/W using the standard color managed approach.  I do my own profiling and include a B/W patch set to insure that the profiles I create have a good response.  All my printing is done with Adobe LR.  Using the ICC profile I create allows me to soft proof B/W images.

Alan

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 05:20:23 pm »

On the Canon 6400 I print out of Lightroom with the colour mode in the printer driver set to monochrome, QTR colour space, and an icc profile created by using a SpyderPrint 3 on QTR's 21-step grey wedges and the results dropped into the QTR-Create-ICC droplet which will also linearise the output nicely.
One issue I have with printing B&W with the mode on the printer set to "colour" is that there is often colour contamination in the print, particularly in shadow detail. It's sometimes not noticeable until the lighting is changed and by then it's too late.
The monochrome setting on a Canon printer still uses some colour inks, but not enough to be an issue, IMO.
The other advantage of printing this way is that the QTR colour space gives me a perfect screen to print match on the papers I use, without the need to softproof. I will warm or cool the print by selecting different papers.
I intend writing up the process in detail, but Keith Cooper has some useful articles.
David

Gusto5

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 10:28:43 am »

Alan,

I'm afraid your description leaves me still scratching my head a little.
You say "standard color managed approach".
I'm still trying to figure out what that is.

I understand you create your own ICC profile.
What about Media Type setting, how do you decide that?
Are you using Print Studio Pro inside Lr?

For me a standard approach would be to use PSP, inside Lr or PS, and use the ICC profile, and Media Type setting provided by the paper Mfg.

I still don't understand when people would use the Black & White Color Mode inside PSP.

Thanks for breaking it down a little more if possible.

Edwin

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 11:44:37 am »

Alan,

I'm afraid your description leaves me still scratching my head a little.
You say "standard color managed approach".
I'm still trying to figure out what that is.

I understand you create your own ICC profile.
What about Media Type setting, how do you decide that?
Are you using Print Studio Pro inside Lr?

For me a standard approach would be to use PSP, inside Lr or PS, and use the ICC profile, and Media Type setting provided by the paper Mfg.

I still don't understand when people would use the Black & White Color Mode inside PSP.

Thanks for breaking it down a little more if possible.

Edwin
I only use LR, no other print software or plug in.  I use the Media Type that I used for making the profile.  Since I only print on 4-5 different kinds of paper the Media Types are pretty easy.  For gloss papers it is 'Pro Platinum' and for matte papers it is 'Highest Density Fine Art'  Those were the recommended setting by the paper manufacturers and I confirmed them through my own testing.  I used to have an Epson 3880 and used the Epson ABW driver with QTR profiles.  That approached worked well.  However, I have found it just as easy to create a single good profile that can be used for both color and B/W printing with the Canon.

Mark Segal has covered this issue in his printer and paper reviews.  I believe there is a review of the Canon Pro 1000 on the main LuLa site that you might want to take a look at.
Pages: [1]   Go Up