Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Seriously, Roussak?  (Read 8292 times)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: Seriously, Roussak?
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2019, 07:24:26 am »

As if the political bun fights weren't enough we now have to contend with moderation bun fights.

Laban

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2019, 08:24:56 am »

As if the political bun fights weren't enough we now have to contend with moderation bun fights.

Laban
+1.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2019, 09:03:23 am »

I've had my run-ins but I think Jeremy is OK in my book despite them. 

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2019, 09:42:52 am »

“….. of those permitted to post”. You have a strange way of expressing yourself Jeremy. Do we now need to get permission to post?

I choose my words with care and there is nothing strange about them. Of course you require permission to post, and you always have. That's what the registration procedure, which has from time to time provoked complaint for those unfamiliar with basic arithmetic, is for.

I've had my run-ins but I think Jeremy is OK in my book despite them. 

Thank you, Alan.

Jeremy

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2019, 09:47:40 am »

That BYTE reference brings good old memories, Jeremy.
I wrote a few articles for both BYTE and KILOBAUD in their first years. I kept all their issues and at my last move I put them all to the curb for recycling. Then I found out that the first issue of BYTE sold on eBay for $600.

I came later to that party; I had a subscription to BYTE for several years in the 80s. They asked me if I'd mind their including a review of some software I'd written (a launching application called Apollo) and after hesitating for several microseconds and feeling rather flattered, I said yes. I disposed of the magazines many years ago - they took up an awful lot of space - but I think I still have the clipping somewhere.

I wrote a few articles, mostly in the "small-scale computing" section, for a UK magazine called Personal Computer World.

Jeremy

stamper

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2019, 09:53:21 am »

Will there be a banning of the member? He has, from memory, a history of offending. If no action is taken other
disgruntled members will see it as a green light to offend.
Hopefully the outcome will be made known to members?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2019, 10:04:22 am »

Will there be a banning of the member? He has, from memory, a history of offending. If no action is taken other
disgruntled members will see it as a green light to offend.
Hopefully the outcome will be made known to members?

In my first post in this topic, I observed that "We will, of course, not be subjected to any of his posts here for a while".

The implication is clear. As to the duration of suspension, I think I shouldn't say; but I suspect, if past performance is anything to go by, he won't remain quiet for long after it lapses.

Jeremy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2019, 10:05:11 am »

It is a pity that a thread that started with a particularly vile example of a deranged moment by a member supremely qualified for an advanced anger-management institutional treatment has morphed into an attack on the moderator instead of the said member.

Rob C

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2019, 10:44:50 am »

Returning to these pages after the first eye op. for cataracts - the second due on the 22nd of the month - I find that despite being viewed through the prism of the love affair currently enjoyed between the sharp new lens and the old, yellowed, Softer-equipped one, not a helluva lot has changed: still too much frustrated testosterone chasing a box, any box, into which to dump.

Insofar as Jeremy, our Moderator is concerned, I give him 100% for impartiality, resilence and dedication to duty, all as an ongoing act of informal, altruistic generosity.

Though personally disappointed that it is clearly the case that the written word on Wednesday does not always combine in the readers' minds with the word written on the previous Friday (for example - the days are arbitrary ones chosen for the sake of illustration), the political threads are nevertheless rather entertaining as some posters continue to tie themselves up in knots, apparently incapable of reading their own material and giving it a mental scan before posting. I have noticed that some appear to have a pre-written credo of beliefs that are simply pasted into many replies, a one-fits-all, in an admirable effort to conserve enrgy and prevent yet more global warming. Who knew?

I used to be affected by the odd, soft floater in my eyes; post-op. I now enjoy the sudden, crisp soldier ant appearing out of nowhere. Perhaps he, too, will pass once the drops can be discontinued.

jeremyrh

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2019, 10:51:02 am »

Returning to these pages after the first eye op. for cataracts - the second due on the 22nd of the month - I find that despite being viewed through the prism of the love affair currently enjoyed between the sharp new lens and the old, yellowed, Softer-equipped one, not a helluva lot has changed: still too much frustrated testosterone chasing a box, any box, into which to dump.

Insofar as Jeremy, our Moderator is concerned, I give him 100% for impartiality, resilence and dedication to duty, all as an ongoing act of informal, altruistic generosity.

Though personally disappointed that it is clearly the case that the written word on Wednesday does not always combine in the readers' minds with the word written on the previous Friday (for example - the days are arbitrary ones chosen for the sake of illustration), the political threads are nevertheless rather entertaining as some posters continue to tie themselves up in knots, apparently incapable of reading their own material and giving it a mental scan before posting. I have noticed that some appear to have a pre-written credo of beliefs that are simply pasted into many replies, a one-fits-all, in an admirable effort to conserve enrgy and prevent yet more global warming. Who knew?

I used to be affected by the odd, soft floater in my eyes; post-op. I now enjoy the sudden, crisp soldier ant appearing out of nowhere. Perhaps he, too, will pass once the drops can be discontinued.

Good to see you back, and to learn that your op was successful.

stamper

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2019, 11:19:55 am »

Good to see you back, and to learn that your op was successful.

Agreed.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2019, 11:28:02 am »

Make that +3! I've had both eyes done Rob and now I just use glasses for extremely fine print. I have a little story to relate after your other eye has been tuned up
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2019, 12:04:45 pm »

And thus another forum goes the way of the Shutterbug and Popular Photography forums; they have kicked the proverbial bucket.

KLaban

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2019, 12:09:16 pm »

And thus another forum goes the way of the Shutterbug and Popular Photography forums; they have kicked the proverbial bucket.

I remember a time when LuLa had a compelling photography forum.

:-(

jeremyrh

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2019, 12:35:41 pm »

I remember a time when LuLa had a compelling photography forum.

:-(

Andrew Molitor is one of the more compelling of writers on that subject!!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2019, 12:41:16 pm »

Those who can, do. Those who can not, muse on the subject.

KLaban

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2019, 12:58:41 pm »

Agreed.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2019, 03:06:48 pm »

... Think of it this way.   You're a young or not so young beginning photographer looking for inspiration and knowledge an you fall into this section...

This forum has 37 sub forums. Why is everybody so obsessed with the 37th!? It is not even the 45th.

For the umpteenth time, do not come here if you are not a coffee drinker.

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2019, 03:26:11 pm »

I agree with you, but the forums have gone through many changes.  There has always been talk about new and older cameras, usually ends up in disagreement, but under Michael's control, he would have let a few of the discussions that got out of hand pass until they dominated, like this thread.

Then he would have closed it and if started again would have removed the main offenders.  This is a photography forum with not many photographs, how they were done, what it takes, etc. etc. 

Now it seems to me this is just another problem with "social" media.  It's going way off target and not very social.

It's a shame and having "monitors" that decide who should post is the first step and I think we all know the second step.

Think of it this way.   You're a young or not so young beginning photographer looking for inspiration and knowledge an you fall into this section.

What do you think the return rate will be to this forum?

IMO

BC

In this forum there are extremely deep threads on so many camera-specific topics, going back many years. These threads are alive, being referenced and resurrected. People message me regularly with great gratitude for the info the’ve gleaned from them. This is largely due to long-time posters. Newbies are generally quiet but not necessarily non active. Many new contributors have valuable opinions and info to share. They may hesitate if they believe their take has been offered already. This is due to the age and depth of the forum. It is a trove.

The political discourse is actually somewhat useful and informative IMHO. It does not magnetize ripple away from camera discussions as much as we might imagine.
There is the natural ego bruising and miscommunications. Those are relatively benign and mostly born of old grudges etc. I don’t think they are that scary. People are generally civilized here. Generally 😉

What I don’t appreciate is aggressive ad-homonym attacks or childish tantrums. That stuff will turn people off and I won’t tolerate it.   

I personally find it odd when people summarize the site(s) inaccurately. If only because the assessment appears to be coming from a pretty limited view, or one with a resentment perhaps.

For example - the site proper sees up to 10-20k views per article  (after approx 1 month) now vs 800-2k views last year per. Growth.

The forum has a huge number of consistent viewers daily, numbering in the many thousands. This has also grown, again.
It has also mutated. The details of the ethnographic data and map of those data points shows increases over all, and a trend which shows the terrain of camera culture changing, shrinking and growing in respective areas at once.

The point is that long time contributors are deeply valuable, and should(?) see themselves as ambassadors. That is how I see them, and how newer contributors may view them. Conduct matters and the community is growing and evolving with a new batch of professionals learning from the experienced. As it should be.

There are voices yet to be heard.   

Josh
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

Rob C

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2019, 03:28:53 pm »

Those who can, do. Those who can not, muse on the subject.

I used to enjoy both pleasures.

You can make definitive statements as the above whenever the mood strikes, but saying so don't make it so. I am as guilty as anyone else on that score, but usually my ire is aimed at curators and their ilk, where (and I could be mistaken) I perceive their power rôle as one of substitute for the ability of which you write; their revenge, if you like...

Not sure LuLa and the dodo are about to be united any time soon, but I think the problem is something other than poitical sections: it's about fewer and fewer people - beyond those who are determined to make it career - having much interest in photography in the manner of the older crew. They no longer have the developing and printing part to wonder at and to enjoy. Say what you like, but unless you were able to go through that visual baptism - and there was no other way in - photography, today, is something else entirely, as we all realise. Why would stepping up from an iPhone to a standard camera feel a wonderful experience? If anything, it may feel like a pointless step into the complicated, and if your ability and/or imagination aim no higher, why would you go there (or here, to be blunt).

It's not, as I hear some thinking, the old fight about film v. digital superiority at all; it's about the introductory experiences that hooked the old 'uns but hold little for the new people unless that have already tasted the forbidden wet apple in school or somewhere like that.

Photography has just become one more way of wasting spending your free time. Romance? What romance? Even here, few feel that way about the lady: mostly, they just want her numbers, the higher the better.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 03:49:32 pm by Rob C »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up