Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: How media over-represents 15 times climatosceptiks fake science  (Read 50553 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: How media over-represents 15 times climatosceptiks fake science
« Reply #460 on: August 20, 2019, 05:54:17 am »

23 pages and not a single alarmist has been able to answer a simple question: what can we do? Just whining about a “problem” with no solution offered. Well, ok, one solution is indeed offered: stop using plastic straws. Fine by me, I don’t use it anyway.

I have already answered twice.

Cheers,
Bernard

jeremyrh

« Reply #461 on: August 20, 2019, 06:24:50 am »

It's just arm waiving. I asked about 20 pages ago if we should revert to living in caves.

Why did you ask that? Did someone suggest that as a solution?
It's like <insert random anecdote here>

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #462 on: August 20, 2019, 08:03:08 am »

Les,
I think the concept is that life in general tends to thrive in warmer climates. It's not rational to expect that a beneficial change in the climate, such as the current warming, will only have benefits for chosen, specific species, such as mosquitoes and rats, or weeds in the case of increased plant growth.

Life may thrive but from the historical record, innovation does not.

faberryman

« Reply #463 on: August 20, 2019, 08:52:46 am »

It's just arm waiving. I asked about 20 pages ago if we should revert to living in caves. It's like the NYMBY folks that are against hydrocarbon exploitation but show up in fossil fuel cars, go figure... I am all in favour of sustainable development, and making a rational transition from fossil fuel to less harmful sources of energy.
Reverting to living in caves is a ridiculous suggestion, known in the parlance as reductio ad absurdum argument. Since you are in favor of it, how about "making a rational transition from fossil fuel to less harmful sources of energy." We can argue about what is rational under the circumstances. Hint: it doesn't involve caves.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 08:56:10 am by faberryman »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #464 on: August 20, 2019, 09:00:52 am »

Reverting to living in caves is a ridiculous suggestion, known in the parlance as reductio ad absurdum. Since you are in favor of it, how about making a rational transition from fossil fuel to less harmful sources of energy. We can argue about what is rational under the circumstances.

No sweat, Fab, all you have to do is put up a windmill outside the cave and a few batteries inside the cave. Within the logic of the "climate change" people that would be a "rational transition from fossil fuel to less harmful (except for the dead birds) sources of energy," At that point you can pat yourself on the back and make the point that you're no longer harming the universe.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

RSL

« Reply #465 on: August 20, 2019, 09:03:55 am »

In the 10 1/2 years I've been on LuLa I've seen some really silly threads, but this one wins the prize and takes the cake -- by leagues.

faberryman

« Reply #466 on: August 20, 2019, 09:26:45 am »

No sweat, Fab, all you have to do is put up a windmill outside the cave and a few batteries inside the cave. Within the logic of the "climate change" people that would be a "rational transition from fossil fuel to less harmful (except for the dead birds) sources of energy," At that point you can pat yourself on the back and make the point that you're no longer harming the universe.
Can you provide a link to a serious scientific paper that has suggested this? More fluff and nonsense from the Sunshine State.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 09:36:32 am by faberryman »

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #467 on: August 20, 2019, 12:25:34 pm »

Can you provide a link to a serious scientific paper that has suggested this? More fluff and nonsense from the Sunshine State.
America has had a long history of anti-intellectualism and it's growth began in the early 1800s and continues apace today.  Richard Hoffstadter is the academic who has written well on the topic.  More recently, Kurt Andersen's 'Fantasyland, How America went Haywire: A 500 Year History' surveys the territory in a more popular vein.  There is always the classic work 'Extraordinary Popular Delusions or the Madness of Crowds' by Charles MacKay which is recognized as one of the best business books ever written (published in 1841 and available for free over at Project Gutenberg!!!).  Eric Hoffer's 'The True Believer' is another good classic, explaining why mass movements arise.  These all provide good explanations about many posts on this section of LuLa.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #468 on: August 20, 2019, 12:34:16 pm »

Reverting to living in caves is a ridiculous suggestion...

The retrograde trip to caves has already started. Minneapolis just banned single-family homes. The war on nuclear family is now official. Let's cram everyone into "komunalka." Soviet Union was right all along.

faberryman

« Reply #469 on: August 20, 2019, 12:35:47 pm »

The retrograde trip to caves has already started. Minneapolis just banned single-family homes. The war on nuclear family is now official. Let's cram everyone into "komunalka." Soviet Union was right all along.
Is there something in the water you and RSL are drinking down there in Florida?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #470 on: August 20, 2019, 12:46:33 pm »

Is there something in the water you and RSL are drinking down there in Florida?

No, we are just drowning in the nose-deep waters due to the global warming and sea-level rise.

"One U.S. City Takes Aim at the Single-Family Home"

Red lawn signs warned ominously that neighborhoods of single-family homes would get bulldozed to make way for apartment buildings.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-07-31/to-fix-its-housing-crunch-one-u-s-city-takes-aim-at-the-single-family-home

faberryman

« Reply #471 on: August 20, 2019, 01:05:20 pm »

"One U.S. City Takes Aim at the Single-Family Home"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-07-31/to-fix-its-housing-crunch-one-u-s-city-takes-aim-at-the-single-family-home
A friend suggested I point out that this is just land deregulation. The government is getting out of the business of decided what kind of housing can be built where. Let the market decide. Seems like the kind of thing you would champion.

James Clark

« Reply #472 on: August 20, 2019, 01:21:06 pm »

A friend suggested I point out that this is just land deregulation. The government is getting out of the business of decided what kind of housing can be built where. Let the market decide. Seems like the kind of thing you would champion.

*Exactly* this.  For those that didn't read Slobodan's like, the claim in misleading.  Well, outright false, actually.  Minneapolis didn't ban single family homes.  Minneapolis banned single family home zoning, which means that a parcel of land may no longer be restricted to ONLY a single family home.   To be fair, there are valid arguments to be made regarding neighborhood integrity, particularly with regard to historic and traffic concerns so it's not as straightforward as it might appear.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #473 on: August 20, 2019, 01:25:39 pm »

Bwahahaha... The Left is embracing market forces and deregulation!? You can't make up this stuff. But congrats on the spin. Too bad the subtitle debunks the "deregulation" intention:

"Minneapolis’s answer to rising prices is meant to foster density and racial equity."

faberryman

« Reply #474 on: August 20, 2019, 01:28:10 pm »

Bwahahaha... The Left is embracing market forces and deregulation!? You can't make up this stuff. But congrats on the spin. Too bad the subtitle debunks the "deregulation" intention:

"Minneapolis’s answer to rising prices is meant to foster density and racial equity."
So do you agree or disagree with deregulation? Or do you think it depends on purpose?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 01:46:24 pm by faberryman »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #475 on: August 20, 2019, 01:31:59 pm »

Certainly people should decide how they should live where they live.  If that's what they want, they should have it.  It's going to create some interesting opportunities as well as problems.  If you own a single family house, and some investor wants to build a high rise apartment building, you could stand to make a lot more by selling it to that investor than to just another single family home buyer.

On the other hand, larger complexes could make an influx of children very costly to educate.  We have a problem in New Jersey where I live where it costs $18,000 per kid for public school.  My area has loads of farms that are ideal for building home complexes.  There are no trees or rocks to deal with and the land is pretty flat, all ideal for construction.  So a lot of builders are building single family and condos and our school budget is going out of sight.  Farmers who are old love it because they can get a lot of money for their land then if it was left only for farming.   65% of my property taxes are for kids I don;t know. :)  In any case, we can't get money from our state government so property taxes keep going up.  Not sure if that will be a problem in Minneapolis, but here is a major issue. 

RSL

« Reply #476 on: August 20, 2019, 01:47:16 pm »

America has had a long history of anti-intellectualism and it's growth began in the early 1800s and continues apace today.

Exactly, Alan, and this thread illustrates the fact beyond any doubt.

faberryman

« Reply #477 on: August 20, 2019, 01:50:09 pm »

In any case, we can't get money from our state government so property taxes keep going up.
If you did get money from state government, then your state income tax would go up. It's got to come from somewhere.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #478 on: August 20, 2019, 01:51:16 pm »

America has had a long history of anti-intellectualism ...

Being an intellectual means being able to think independently. So far the alarmists have displayed none of that, but just a herd-like mentality of siding with the "97%" crowd. Hardly qualifies as "intellectual."

Peter McLennan

« Reply #479 on: August 20, 2019, 01:59:50 pm »

So far the alarmists have displayed none of that, but just a herd-like mentality of siding with the "97%" crowd. Hardly qualifies as "intellectual."

May you never suffer a 50C day with no AC, nor have to walk through ankle-deep water in downtown Miami.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 54   Go Up