Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Dee  (Read 268 times)

Rob C

The Dee
« on: September 30, 2019, 10:56:05 am »

Perhaps some other LuLanders saw the 30mins film about the above river on the BBC last night.

It was in wonderful black and white, and had a look that would have made me very happy to have created as a series of stills. In fact, if I could, I would have run out there and then and shot such shots even though I have neither drone nor helicopter. Nor river, come to think about it, and certainly no snow.

The presentation of the river was somewhat contrasty, but oh so graphically beautiful because of it. There was a musical soundtrack that consisted of the kind of groans and grunts that remind me of moving funiture across a wooden floor, as well as of the imagined noise of an old alien spaceship taking off for places unknown. Over, or should that be beneath it - a tiny female voice saying something that I was unable to discern, whether I turned the volume higher or lower. As it's the BBC, I suppose I have to blame my ears rather than anything else.

It was an incredibly gripping film, in my estimation, and yet again underlines my belief that the cinematographers have the better-developed visual eye, apart from the resources and gravitas, of course.

I am clearly not any kind of landscape photo-lover guy, but this film is something quite else and worth catching, should it return. It's called Upstream, if my memory holds well enough.

Rob

rabanito

Re: The Dee
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 06:10:19 pm »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0008z3c/upstream

For some reason I learned the name Dee together with Severn when learning English at school

But it seems that you can only watch it if you're in the UK  :(

Rob C

Re: The Dee
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 04:11:56 am »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0008z3c/upstream

For some reason I learned the name Dee together with Severn when learning English at school

But it seems that you can only watch it if you're in the UK  :(

Yes, it's a problem; the European solution lies in the large satellite dish. To get this set up costs around a grand in Mallorca. It works because it can suck more strength out of the edges of the transmission footprint than the original, smaller dishes can. The foortprint was altered some time ago to reduce it. I guess it's mostly about copyright fees.
Pages: [1]   Go Up