Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A7r2 + 24 and 17 TS-E lenses - correct adapter thickness is critical!  (Read 3065 times)

Dan Wells

Re: A7r2 + 24 and 17 TS-E lenses - correct adapter thickness is critical!
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 05:31:56 pm »

This is a great advantage to Nikon or Canon mirrorless - rock-solid adapters that the single manufacturer of all three pieces - camera, lens and adapter - is obliged to support.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 05:36:01 pm »

I suspect Metabones intentionally undersize their adaptors as more customers complain that they can't reach infinity than complain their corners are not sharp enough.

Possibly, but Metabones in inconsistent:

https://blog.kasson.com/nikon-z6-7/lens-adapters-fud-to-enlightenment/

Jim

adriantyler

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2019, 03:33:50 pm »

I’ve used the 17 tse a lot with the Merabones IV and never noticed a problem with focus, but my working aperture is small: does this hold true for shots stopped down to working aperture (f.11) ?

and is this true also of the new tse 50mm?

thanks
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 03:56:15 pm by adriantyler »

grnbrg

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2019, 04:15:09 pm »

Anyone using the Sigma having any problems? It seems that some Metabones are ok, others aren't, so I'm wondering if all examples of the Sigma version works well.

Shiftworker

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 03:09:22 am »

Possibly, but Metabones in inconsistent:

https://blog.kasson.com/nikon-z6-7/lens-adapters-fud-to-enlightenment/

Jim
Good article. From examining the crude surface quality of the underside of the body side flange I can easily see why the metabones has problems with consistency of measured thickness.

Shiftworker

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2019, 05:00:14 am »

BTW I'm having some problems with the MC-11 on the TS-E's. It's sometimes not showing the aperture, showing the wrong aperture or doing something very weird with the exposure. It may be the contact pins or it may be it's just not 100% compatible with these lenses. I've got the latest FW on the adapter and camera. For all my criticisms of the metabones on the engineering side it's been rock solid on the software and operational side.
Problem fixed - it was a dirty connection between the adaptor and the camera.

brandon

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2019, 08:26:54 pm »

Really useful thread and link to Jim's (always detailed and well-explained) post good to read.
Ive found that adapted lenses (for me MF nikkors, Leica R, Zuikos some canon FDs) to a range of full frame cameras (mainly EOS, Sony) have been very affected (from mild to quite detrimental) by the adaptors, including the expensive ones. The inconsistencies have been great: both the adaptor (variation from e.g. one novaflex to another etc) and also the sensitivity of the lens to its registration length due to the internal focusing designs etc. Central focus has been fine but edge abberations often high. Wide angle primes and wide zooms seem most susceptible.Other lenses very immune (eg Leica 280 F4 Apo Telyt).

Ironically buying cheaper adaptors and experimenting to find one that works well with a particular lens seems anecdotally better than hoping that lots of $ spent on a single adaptor might see you right. Or buying second hand and trying several to find "the one". Compared with the manufacture of lenses (mechanics and multi-element optics) adaptors seem to be in company with filters: expensive for what they are and often very poor/purposefully lax QC.

Shiftworker

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2019, 04:41:44 pm »

Update - just got the new A7r IV and with the MC-11 I can't get any aperture control on the 24 TS-E II (works with every other EF lens) so will have to use the Metabones. Got a replacement rear flange for my Metabones V and it didn't start well as measuring the thickness with my micrometer it varied by 0.03mm. When attached to the body the overall thickness still comes up way too short at 25.7mm but with a bit of shimming an shaving I got it to 25.85 allround. I then took the front flange off and also one from a IV and found that this one was about 0.1mm thicker so swapping them over I now have 25.95 +/- 0.02mm which is the same as the MC-11 ( although the MC-11 is +/- 0.01mm). More importantly the 24 TS-E now has aperture control. No idea why it 's not working on the MC-11 but it maybe just wear. Will test over the next few weeks.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 01:59:29 am by Shiftworker »

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2019, 05:00:57 pm »

You got me a bit paranoid as I'd not yet used my TSE lenses.  They are both attached to Metabones (IV) so I verified they worked OK then checked them both on an MC11 and both work OK. 

Shiftworker

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2019, 02:01:30 am »

You got me a bit paranoid as I'd not yet used my TSE lenses.  They are both attached to Metabones (IV) so I verified they worked OK then checked them both on an MC11 and both work OK.
Pretty sure my 24 is just worn as the 17mm works fine on the MC-11. Also beware when using old Yashica/Contax lenses on the MC-11 as the raised 'spur' on the mount nr the stop down tab fouls the inside of the adapter and the lens sits crooked. It's easy to cut down with a sharp knife though.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 11:50:34 am by Shiftworker »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up