Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Late Night at the stone cabins  (Read 281 times)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Late Night at the stone cabins
« on: July 30, 2019, 04:44:32 pm »

I stayed out way too late for having to work this morning but I wanted to catch the meteor showers and (almost) new moon coinciding. I waffled a bit on deciding where to go and eventually decided on the stone cutter's cabins which are a few miles out of town in a nice dark area.
The cabins are maybe half a mile apart and I set up cameras at each one on interval mode and then drove back and forth a few times to check on them and recompose.
My goal was a nice meteor photo but I only got one meteor and the photo is just so-so. So in that sense I failed.
But I got some cabin and Milky Way photos I like. I light painted the cabins with my headlamp. I had a gelled flash too but it was harder to manage so I think these all ended up being headlamp-painted shots.
Pretty fun and a little spooky out there all alone after midnight!

-MattB

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Late Night at the stone cabins
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 04:10:52 am »

Well done.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 12:43:29 pm »

Well done.

Thanks! Here's one more that I made by stacking 181 exposures (in Affinity Photo).
-MattB

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 01:33:29 pm »

Thanks! Here's one more that I made by stacking 181 exposures (in Affinity Photo).

Ohhh, that's a beauty. Great flow in the sky which fits the distortion and scene. Even the airtraffic trails actually contribute to the image. Prefer this one very much over the straight milky way representations. (But then, I'm not really a fan of milky way shots, so bias might tint the judgement there.)
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 01:37:01 pm »

Ohhh, that's a beauty. Great flow in the sky which fits the distortion and scene. Even the airtraffic trails actually contribute to the image. Prefer this one very much over the straight milky way representations. (But then, I'm not really a fan of milky way shots, so bias might tint the judgement there.)

Thanks. I feel both types of shots can be very hit and miss depending on factors we may not be able to control or notice until later. So I usually try some of each if I'm doing this kind of shooting. We are under a lot of flight paths here.
-MattB
Pages: [1]   Go Up