Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gretag Macbeth Spectophotometer - is it worth buying?  (Read 3178 times)

TonyW

Re: Gretag Macbeth Spectophotometer - is it worth buying?
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 11:18:55 am »

A quick update as I have borrowed the Spectroscan for a couple of days.  As already stated by Andrew this came as a bundle with ProfileMaker 3.1.  which will not run on Windows 10 64 bit of course.

I have had trouble getting Windows to recognise the device and think that this may be due to the USB to serial converter.  This is a Prolific PL2303 USB To Serial.  I have tried a couple of different drivers without success and am guessing this must be an older device that does not have WIndows 10 support.  The only stamp on the unit shows 2303.  Getting Error 10 and yellow exclamation mark in Device manager.

So it looks like I will need to find a usable USB to Serial adapter to run ArgyllCMS on WIndows 10 - any recommendations?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 12:08:43 pm »

So it looks like I will need to find a usable USB to Serial adapter to run ArgyllCMS on WIndows 10 - any recommendations?
I suspect the main problem is that there is not a Windows 10 compliant driver for the instrument.  The adapter is not the big problem here.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2019, 01:55:59 pm »

I suspect the main problem is that there is not a Windows 10 compliant driver for the instrument.  The adapter is not the big problem here.
As was said at the beginning of the thread.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2019, 02:18:29 pm »

As was said at the beginning of the thread.
I know.  I was just trying to reinforce to the OP that the connector likely not the issue.

Rhossydd

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2019, 03:09:49 pm »

Alan, I know you know ;-)

Sometimes people need to listen to those of us that actually own this kit and trust us to be helpful, even if it's not what they want to hear.

TonyW

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2019, 03:59:19 pm »

Alan, I know you know ;-)

Sometimes people need to listen to those of us that actually own this kit and trust us to be helpful, even if it's not what they want to hear.
Yes, I did actually listen. 

I listened to Andrew Rodney who mentioned the inbuilt dongle in the Spectrolino and GWGill who said ArgyllCMS will directly drive the instrument.  Also listened to DP running two units with Keyspan adapter and also GWGill warning about losing firmware.

I also listened to Alexey.Danilchenko using ArgyllCMS to drive the exact spectroscan that I am looking at.  Interface device not mentioned.

So the upshot of this appears to be that the Spectroscan can be run successfully from a modern OS using the well respected ArgyllCMS

The problem with the Prolific adapter is the fact that the chip has been discontinued and understandably no driver support.  From that supplier however there are a number of PL 2303 that are Windows 10 and MacOS compliant.  So what I was looking for was any comment about specific adapters apart from the Keyspan.

Once again I will stress that I do not own this unit I have merely been given it to play with for a day or two.  I have no intention now of running a separate PC or Mac just for this one job.

Sometimes people who own pieces of kit also need to listen to other users different helpful replies rather than try making smart ass replies

TonyW

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2019, 04:04:06 pm »

Thank you Alan.  As it turns out the adapter chip being discontinued is the issue and due to this no Windows 10 drivers developed.

Rhossydd

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2019, 04:04:36 pm »

Sometimes people who own pieces of kit also need to listen to other users different helpful replies rather than try making smart ass replies
Well I have read the entire thread myself too. Listening to people who only use Mac OS isn't going to be much help to you if you run W10.

'smart ass reply' ?? I've tried to help with the best advice I can after having researched, tried a lot of suggestions and used this kit. If you want to try to invent a new wheel go ahead.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 04:09:00 pm by Rhossydd »

Alexey.Danilchenko

• Spectron
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2019, 06:21:54 pm »

I also listened to Alexey.Danilchenko using ArgyllCMS to drive the exact spectroscan that I am looking at.  Interface device not mentioned.

I am using https://www.tripplite.com/high-speed-usb-to-serial-adapter-keyspan~USA19HS/ - seems to work with ArgyllCMS on my Windows 10 laptop just fine.

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2019, 07:59:25 pm »

It's worth understanding how this stuff works. The operating system doesn't drive the instrument, it merely provides a conduit for communications between the application and the instrument. No system driver has more than trivial knowledge about a particular instrument (Serial - none at all, USB - VID/PID and maybe what USB pipes it uses). TonyW is on the right track - the issue appears to be about finding serial hardware that is supported by Win10. Once there is a working serial interface, any software that can run on Win10 should be able to talk to the instrument.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up