Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Urban Deer  (Read 1049 times)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Urban Deer
« on: July 09, 2019, 08:53:44 pm »

Anybody here have advice about how to deal with these damned animals?

We live in a small city in the eastern U.S. state of Maryland, just a few blocks from the city center.  We are visited daily and nightly by anywhere from one to a half dozen "urban deer"—animals that have become so accustomed to humans that they are essentially oblivious to them.  They are voracious, and have gobbled up many of our expensive shrubs and flowering plants.

Our house is situated at an intersection.  One of the streets is a major thoroughfare into the town.  The adult deer—I am not making this up—look both ways to check for traffic before attempting to cross the street.  A friend told us she read a newspaper story a while back about a family of urban deer that would wait patiently each morning near a house not far from us until the residents left for work, then march into the yard for breakfast.  Maybe apocryphal, maybe not.  Having seen these critters in action, I'm not discounting the story.

They ignore the deer repellent I spray on our foliage.  A fence high enough to keep them out is not feasible because of city code restrictions.  A large outdoor dog would do the trick, of course, but we don't want the complication of caring for a pet.

When we catch the deer in our yard, my wife runs out and shouts at them.  They mostly look at her quizzically—a bit irritatedly, perhaps, and typically stand their ground.  I usually shoot a few pictures before getting my electric leaf-blower out of the garage and making enough noise to frighten them off.  It mostly works, but it's a temporary expedient.  They're a major nuisance to us; we're a minor nuisance to them.

They're cute, especially the fawns.  The attached snaps were made this evening before we managed to chase away this trio.  But I know they'll be back as soon as they know the coast is clear.

James Clark

Re: Urban Deer
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 09:13:06 pm »

We've got the same problem, and yes, ours look out for traffic as well. 

I like 'em, truth be told.  It's nice to see them hanging out in the yard mornings and evenings, and honestly, we just plant stuff they don't like, or plant in areas they don't want to access because of our Aussie dog.

Anybody here have advice about how to deal with these damned animals?

We live in a small city in the eastern U.S. state of Maryland, just a few blocks from the city center.  We are visited daily and nightly by anywhere from one to a half dozen "urban deer"—animals that have become so accustomed to humans that they are essentially oblivious to them.  They are voracious, and have gobbled up many of our expensive shrubs and flowering plants.

Our house is situated at an intersection.  One of the streets is a major thoroughfare into the town.  The adult deer—I am not making this up—look both ways to check for traffic before attempting to cross the street.  A friend told us she read a newspaper story a while back about a family of urban deer that would wait patiently each morning near a house not far from us until the residents left for work, then march into the yard for breakfast.  Maybe apocryphal, maybe not.  Having seen these critters in action, I'm not discounting the story.

They ignore the deer repellent I spray on our foliage.  A fence high enough to keep them out is not feasible because of city code restrictions.  A large outdoor dog would do the trick, of course, but we don't want the complication of caring for a pet.

When we catch the deer in our yard, my wife runs out and shouts at them.  They mostly look at her quizzically—a bit irritatedly, perhaps, and typically stand their ground.  I usually shoot a few pictures before getting my electric leaf-blower out of the garage and making enough noise to frighten them off.  It mostly works, but it's a temporary expedient.  They're a major nuisance to us; we're a minor nuisance to them.

They're cute, especially the fawns.  The attached snaps were made this evening before we managed to chase away this trio.  But I know they'll be back as soon as they know the coast is clear.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 09:25:55 pm »

Biggest problem is deer ticks and Lyme disease.  I am real careful when I go near the woods to shoot pictures.  I pretty much stopped hiking because of Lyme.  They're even in grass in backyards.  Read up on it and be careful especially with kids around. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 09:44:16 pm »

Great looking family.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 09:54:49 pm »

I am in Bethesda,  right near the National Institutes of Heath and the v Walter Reed Navy med center and we have deer all over the place.  Any attempts to reduce the population are met with outrage.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 10:23:36 pm »

We have the same problem in Australia.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-02-28/deer-mangement-plan-launched-nsw/10858226

Government plans are generally stupid.
Years ago we had a problem with wild camels.
Now we are the worlds largest exporter of camels.
Turn a problem into a business.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Redcrown

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 01:30:32 am »

Ditto here in Iowa. You say repellent did not work, but have you tried this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Fence-Rabbit-Repellent-1-Gallon/dp/B00TS4WBUQ/ref=sr_1_8?crid=Y420A511PRSY&keywords=deer+repellent&qid=1562736236&s=gateway&sprefix=deer+%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-8

My wife tried several, but this one works. Stinks terrible for a few hours, works only for a few days with no rain. A downpour wipes it out and has to be re-applied. Our whole neighborhood uses it with good success.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 02:41:02 am »

Ditto here in Iowa. You say repellent did not work, but have you tried this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Fence-Rabbit-Repellent-1-Gallon/dp/B00TS4WBUQ/ref=sr_1_8?crid=Y420A511PRSY&keywords=deer+repellent&qid=1562736236&s=gateway&sprefix=deer+%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-8

My wife tried several, but this one works. Stinks terrible for a few hours, works only for a few days with no rain. A downpour wipes it out and has to be re-applied. Our whole neighborhood uses it with good success.

Do you know if it works also for rabbits?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 03:26:07 am »

Bambi burgers.

Jeremy

bassman51

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 05:30:12 am »

RE “Bambi burgers”

Our town here in northern New Jersey tried allowing bow hunting of them. It has no impact, of course. The deer - while perhaps smart enough to look both ways before crossing - can’t read and don’t respect our town borders. So a slightly reduced population here just incents deer from neighboring towns to move in.   

I clipped one with my car last fall, killing her and costing my insurance company $18,000. 
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

Chris Kern

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 10:06:02 am »

I had no idea this was an intercontinental problem!

Our city council, after years of pondering the problem, has finally authorized a cull—also by bow-hunters since using firearms in a densely-populated area is impractical.  As in the town where Alan lives (we're just a few miles north of there), the thought of killing Bambis has provoked outrage among some residents, but so far the mayor and council are holding their ground.  The deer, of course, are gaining ground: multiplying rapidly thanks to the lack of natural predators other than automobiles and the abundant forage supplied by our and our neighbors' gardens.

I guess it's time to try the stinky repellent.  The stuff we have been using worked for a few weeks, but apparently the word was spread via deer social media that it was nothing to worry about.

No wild camels yet, Bob.  I guess we should count ourselves lucky.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 10:30:22 am »

We had similar issues when I lived in the Hudson Valley, and after many city dwellers moved out of NYC to the country, there was a big backlash on the hunting of deer.  Problem though is that we have no natural predators like wolves.  Even if we did, wolves are not stupid; they would go after the farm animals, which are easier to catch and kill. 

So the only real solution is hunting, but some people are really against hunting. 

Fortunately in the Hudson Valley we also had another solution with the many farms, that being farmers have what is called a nuisance license allowing them to kill any wild animal that went on their farm regardless of season.  So this helped a bit. 

Even if we brought the wolves back though, there is also still a bounty on wolves and coyotes in certain towns.  (You have to bring in the skins to collect, and typically the carcasses were left in the woods, creating another backlash from city dwellers when eventually they were found.)  Of course, all of the farmers would protest against this anyway. 

The one thing people do realize is that in many cases these deer are malnourished and some will die from starvation during the NY winter.  Deer in the Adirondacks, where wolves still are, are about 30% larger and much healthier, albeit fewer.  The wolves kill the weak and the rest survive. 

Another great video on how wolves changed Yellowstone for the better. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 10:46:10 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 10:43:03 am »

Do you know if it works also for rabbits?
The last two years, rabbits (probably although it might have been deer) ate my two plants again.  They always did well before so I guess there's an influx of these animals.  Deer are always created car accidents.  I drive at night when safe for other drivers with my high beams on so I can better see their eyes glowing and prepare to stop if they go into the road.  If you want to know how many are killed where you live, look up in the sky and see all the turkey vultures circling.  You think you're on the African savannah. 

degrub

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 11:24:19 am »

repopulate the area with wolves and cougars, their natural predator.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 11:37:42 am »

I am confused
... The deer, of course, are gaining ground: multiplying rapidly thanks to the lack of natural predators other than automobiles and the abundant forage supplied by our and our neighbors' gardens...

I am confused. Since Coffee Corner is usually about politics, is this thread an allegory about illegals?

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 11:43:53 am »

Try a motion-activated sprinkler. It startles them or at least it does to our town deer.
They get especially thick during hunting season and love to eat Jack-o-lanterns!
-MattB

Chris Kern

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 11:53:25 am »

I am confused. Since Coffee Corner is usually about politics, is this thread an allegory about illegals?

Clever, but I refuse to take the bait.  The deer might think differently, however: they'll eat anything.

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 11:58:45 am »

ROFL!!! ;D ;D ;D

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 01:11:48 pm »

I am confused

More like an allegory for indigenous people.
-MattB
Pages: [1]   Go Up