Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: American Friends and Allies  (Read 7266 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: American Friends and Allies
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2019, 04:48:02 pm »

Hm,

There is a serious difference in Jew culture and Islam Culture and their proliferation in Western world.
the big Jewish immigration in the US was 1880-1910 approximately.  We have several generations now and with each one intermarriage increases.  I don't know what the statistics might be for Islamic immigration.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2019, 04:49:25 pm »

... Of course, our various crusades...

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2019, 04:51:18 pm »

o yeah, whilst I never heard Rome offering any number of virgins after the event, the rest of the deal today, as seen from the Moslem perspective, ain't a hundred miles from that of those pesky men in armour. Goose, gander?
The best send up about the offering of 72 virgins to holy warriors was by the great American comic, Steve Martin.  https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2007/01/29/seventy-two-virgins   Well worth re-reading every year or so!!!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2019, 05:12:31 pm »

Not any more  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2019, 05:14:04 pm »

The best send up about the offering of 72 virgins to holy warriors was by the great American comic, Steve Martin.  https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2007/01/29/seventy-two-virgins   Well worth re-reading every year or so!!!

Enjoyed those that!

Rob

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2019, 06:03:17 pm »

This thread is becoming very depressing. The one about the extreme weather and dying polar bears is more uplifting.

James Clark

« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2019, 06:09:12 pm »

How about if you superimpose European Colonialism on that second one. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2019, 06:12:35 pm »

How about if you superimpose European Colonialism on that second one. 

Feel free.

James Clark

« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2019, 06:19:54 pm »

Feel free.

It’s easy.  Just take your little red dots and cover North America, South America, Africa, Australia and lots of SE Asia.  It’ll make the Moorish occupations seem small by comparison.  Feel better now?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2019, 06:24:19 pm »

... It’ll make the Moorish Muslim occupations seem small by comparison.  Feel better now?

No.

When you spend five hundred years under that "small" occupation, come back to me.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2019, 11:17:18 pm »

No.

When you spend five hundred years under that "small" occupation, come back to me.

James made my point.

But you have a strong case as well. Lack of exegesis (as Rob said earlier) makes Islam a rather stagnating way of civilization.

Difficult difficult.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2019, 11:32:17 pm »

Man has always made war.  We're a territorial animal that wants to expand to increase resources to better better support the members of our group.  We also enjoy stealing that which doesn't belong to us.   I don't think pointing at one group or another to declare certain superiorites accomplishes anything.  We've all done it one time or another.   

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2019, 11:51:08 pm »

....We've all done it one time or another.   

Which is history. What matters is a contemporary comparison between a religion still stuck in medieval times and the western civilization. Today, not “one time or another.”

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2019, 03:06:47 am »

Do you wear light brown monks, Jeremy?  ;)

Never at work: no brown in town. I have a pair of brown brogues which I reserve for the (sadly rare, given the English weather) occasions on which I'm able to wear my cream linen suit.

Jeremy

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2019, 04:11:03 am »

Never at work: no brown in town. I have a pair of brown brogues which I reserve for the (sadly rare, given the English weather) occasions on which I'm able to wear my cream linen suit.

Jeremy
A good choice, Jeremy.

Rob C

« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2019, 04:22:40 am »

Jeremy

I own one suit, in black. It witnessed two funerals. I hope the next time it sees air it's for mine. That said, if I have to go, I'd rather go in jeans and T-shirt: a cheaper burn. Maybe it can be exported back and sold off to some unsuspecting, aura-insensitive punter in a charity shop.

Must say, I always did fancy a cream suit, and I'd like a pale blue tie to match my '59 Coupe de Ville, which I also do not have but always fancied. The suit, of course, would have to have been by Brioni.

I draw the line at modified Leicas, though, and any Rolex with coloured dials.

Rob

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2019, 07:09:40 am »

I own one suit, in black. It witnessed two funerals. I hope the next time it sees air it's for mine. That said, if I have to go, I'd rather go in jeans and T-shirt: a cheaper burn. Maybe it can be exported back and sold off to some unsuspecting, aura-insensitive punter in a charity shop.

Must say, I always did fancy a cream suit, and I'd like a pale blue tie to match my '59 Coupe de Ville, which I also do not have but always fancied. The suit, of course, would have to have been by Brioni.

I draw the line at modified Leicas, though, and any Rolex with coloured dials.

Rob

Do you mean yellow Lizard leatherette and golden softie? (Your pimped out and chromed out Rolex points in that direction)

Or is it all more technical and sense full.

Come on, show us some pics. 😬🤓

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2019, 07:56:41 am »

Jeremy
Brown used to be a very popular color for both shoes and men's suits.  Things changed in the early 1970s when blue and grey became the standard for business dress.  President Reagan began wearing brown again.  When once questioned by a fashion reporter, he noted that Nancy was the one who picked out his suits and ties.  the office I worked in had a rigid dress code until the last couple of years.  Business attire (suits) was required other than during the summer months when we had casual Fridays.  I usually had blue and grey suits during my work years with an occasional brown suit.  During the hot months, I had a nice cotton seersucker suit and was featured in a Washington Post article one very hot summer day when I was interviewed for a feature story on why men wear suits in such weather. ;D

Rob C

« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2019, 08:12:59 am »

Do you mean yellow Lizard leatherette and golden softie? (Your pimped out and chromed out Rolex points in that direction)

Or is it all more technical and sense full.

Come on, show us some pics. 😬🤓

For all the latest you need but consult the Leica company website.

Rolex achieved peak engineering/design synthesis with the arrival of the Submariner, my own version which, I shall have you know, I had before a certain gentleman who has the funny name of Bond James Bond (It looks like an afterthought, that name; BJB indeed! I understand why his employers decided to use a number instead!) was given one. I bought my own. You may buy your own Rolex, but never your own silver; that's the kind of thing that makes the aristocratic British unique. Unfortunately, silver has gone out of fashion since it is now too expensive to employ people to polish it for you. That is principally why the previous generation is so generous with it: it can't bear the thought of actually selling it.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2019, 09:03:40 am »

Brown used to be a very popular color for both shoes and men's suits.  Things changed in the early 1970s when blue and grey became the standard for business dress.  President Reagan began wearing brown again.  When once questioned by a fashion reporter, he noted that Nancy was the one who picked out his suits and ties.  the office I worked in had a rigid dress code until the last couple of years.  Business attire (suits) was required other than during the summer months when we had casual Fridays.  I usually had blue and grey suits during my work years with an occasional brown suit.  During the hot months, I had a nice cotton seersucker suit and was featured in a Washington Post article one very hot summer day when I was interviewed for a feature story on why men wear suits in such weather. ;D
Well, Alan, you have one of the nappier avatars in this thread.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up