Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: M8 Magenta Cast  (Read 19674 times)

John Camp

M8 Magenta Cast
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2006, 02:44:10 pm »

My guts feeling is that many a Leica M8 users are pretty new to digital. I could be wrong.
<snip>
The whole issue is IMHO pretty much a matter of poor expectations mgt. Leica is by the way probably only partially responsible for this.
<snip>
Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87809\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think you're right about a lot of M8 users being new to digital -- this has been an on-going issue at the rangefinder forum. Lots of film users don't consciously consider film development as "post processing." It's simply a necessity. When they get to a digital camera, they expect the digital photograph to be at the same place as a negative after processing: immediately printable. It never occurs to many that there is a "negative development" process in digital, and they are unhappy (or just surprised) when they find out about it, and about the learning curve in post-processing. They are amazed to find that while digital has many advantages over film, it's not necessarily easier.

You're absolutely right about expectations management. German firms tend to be engineering-intensive and PR-challenged.

Edmund's comments are essentially (not to be impolite) beside the point. He had the camera only for a short time. The general assessment emerging on most of the boards (from both testers like Sean Reid and professional users) is that the M8 image quality is about the equivalent of the 5D, better in some areas and not quite as good in others; in other words, generally equivalent to a 1DsII (the 5D is apparently somewhat better than the 1DsII in high ISO noise quality.)

One or two people have said that the monochrome looks like Tri-X, but most disagree. It's too smooth. But it certainly can be made to look like Tri-X, especially with plug-in filters.

The M8's auto white balance, in mixed lighting, is not good at the moment, possibly because of the high IR sensitivity. That should be fixed with the new firmware, which is now being delivered in new cameras, which also fix an electronic fault that led to streaking and ghost images in some unusual conditions. The finder and frame lines are as accurate as on any M; the finder is certainly brighter than any SLR, the frame lines you either live with or you get an SLR. The battery is good for ~400 shots after its been conditioned, which takes three full cycles. The charger could be smaller, but then, it's also delivered with a car-charging cord and a built-in 12-volt adapter, so that may account for some of its size. Some people think that's great; others would prefer a smaller charger. The 5D, which is considered the state-of-the art for ISO noise, delivers plainly cleaner images at 1600 and 3200 (not at 800; at 800 it's a pick-your-poison.) But how many 5Ds are routinely used with lenses as fast as a Leica's? Is it better to shoot an f4 zoom at 3200 on a 5D (which is how a 5D is typically used) or a prime Leica f1.2 at 400 or 800?

I shoot a D2x in addition to the M8, an M7 and a G7. The D2x is a great camera for most uses and I will always own its equivalent; but I would hesitate to take it into a club at night, simply because of its size and the size of its lenses (probably the most-used modern Nikon zoom is, all by itself, larger than the Leica.) And the 1DsII is larger than the Nikon. The Leica is simply a different kind of a camera, and comparing it to a Canon or a Nikon is like comparing an SLR to an Arca.

In my view, the Leica has had some regrettable glitches, like any radical new product, including the Canons (frame deletion) the D2x (focus problems) the D200 (banding) etc. But that's life in the big city. A month after it first came out, the fixes are underway, and IMHO, it's going to be a classic.

JC

michael

M8 Magenta Cast
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2006, 02:48:42 pm »

Ah yes, the good old days of film.

When.....

– an errant piece of dust on the felt light trap put a giant scratch across all 36 exposures.

– when the processing machine at the lab broke down in the middle of a run and ruined an entire day's shoot.

– when you accidently put the fixer in the tank before the developer

– when you thought you had Tri-X in the camera but instead were shooting with Kodachrome 25

Michael

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
M8 Magenta Cast
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2006, 07:56:03 pm »

Edmund's comments are essentially (not to be impolite) beside the point. He had the camera only for a short time. The general assessment emerging on most of the boards (from both testers like Sean Reid and professional users) is that the M8 image quality is about the equivalent of the 5D, better in some areas and not quite as good in others; in other words, generally equivalent to a 1DsII (the 5D is apparently somewhat better than the 1DsII in high ISO noise quality.)

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88288\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What are we going to be told next ? That the M8 is as good as an H3D ? This is like comparing a Ferrari to a 10 ton truck. I own both cameras. The 1DsII has detail, detail and detail, the M8 runs out of detail quite fast, although that may be due to the difficulty of ensuring accurate focus in practice, my lens (a 75mm Summi) or the diffusion effect of the IR.

I don't think that admitting that a Ferrari is faster and a truck can haul more goods is disrepectful to either vehicle.

As for Hi-ISO, the camera sample of the M8 which I have is simply not so good. My impression is that others who have published pictures on the net are getting much better hi-ISO results. I frankly don't think that anything over 640 is regularly usable, but shooting a rangefinder tele wide open is a recipe for disaster. The 1DsII does ok in hi-ISO, with very smooth results at 800. I usually shoot my Canons with an 85/1.2 and rarely run out of available light as the excellent focus lets me use the lens wide open.

Please let me summarize: The Leica M8 is a worthy successor of the old M series. When and if Leica fixes my M8, and I manage to get some spare batteries, the M8 will go on all my trips, while my old 1Ds will continue to focus on the skin texture of overpaid anorexic females. The 1DsII remains the standard as far as resolution is concerned - I don't know any currently marketed 35mm product that beats it for detail, although skin texture is not so good.

Oh, and by the way, even though I'm a contrarian I think that Michael has hit the nail on the head: Film ? Just say no !

Edmund
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 08:10:12 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

John Camp

M8 Magenta Cast
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2006, 09:46:13 pm »

What are we going to be told next ? That the M8 is as good as an H3D ? This is like comparing a Ferrari to a 10 ton truck. I own both cameras. The 1DsII has detail, detail and detail, the M8 runs out of detail quite fast <snip>

As for Hi-ISO, the camera sample of the M8 which I have is simply not so good. My impression is that others who have published pictures on the net are getting much better hi-ISO results. I frankly don't think that anything over 640 is regularly usable. <snip>

Oh, and by the way, even though I'm a contrarian I think that Michael has hit the nail on the head: Film ? Just say no !

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88323\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nobody has so far said anything about an H3D. As to detail, that is precisely the area in which most posters are saying the M8 is matching the Canons. Check the extensive posts on the Leica forum (which has been bitterly critical of Leica in many cases.)

ISO 640 on the Leica, according to Sean Reid, is actually 800 (though to be fair, he says that 3200 on the 5D is actually around 4000.) As a matter of fact, though, I wouldn't be happy going through life trying to get ISO 1600 and 3200 photos published, given any other choice. I consider those ISOs are "emergency" speeds.

I agree on film. I hang on to an F5 mostly out of sentiment, and the belief that it might have been the best 35mm film camera ever made; but I haven't run any film through it in a couple of years. Since 2001, I've been 90% digital in daily stuff. Still, there are some areas in which film excels. Ever try to project digital? It's further back than 19th century magic lantern slides, and I'm not exaggerating in the slightest.

JC

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
M8 Magenta Cast
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2006, 06:59:22 am »

The 1Ds I own can go up to 1250 if perfectly exposed, although colors change a bit I find. However my 1Ds sensor has been replaced and the original was *clearly unusable* at 1250.

My 1DsII can do high ISO well, I'd say that 1250 is a regularly usable ISO for my purposes (catwalk fashion shooting) and a client printed a poster of an interior architecture shot with it at that setting, as well as some stuff in their catalog.

The opinion I have of the Leica M8 is really not the same as you relate. It's nowhere in the class of the 1DsII for noise. A batch of twilight shots that looked lovely on the rear screen and that I'd love to print are unusable due to noise.

One explanation for all of this is that maybe mine is a lemon (like my original 1Ds sensor). I think that when it is sent in to Solms I shall request them to verify that the sensor is in spec.

As for detail, I guess I can do a tripod setup test some time. Some of my percieved differences can be attributed to focus error and camera shake, both of which the huge heavy Canon SLRs have less than the  wonderfully light rangefinder.

By the way, my 1Ds improved incredibly on ISO after the sensor swap, but the 1DsII was even more fun. The first one was sharp but it erased all the pictures, and finally died completely, which I thought was incompatible with my desire for a working camera. Luckily it died within 2 days out of the box so I got another.  With the second I was a bit unhappy with the images and kept sending it back to Canon for focus checks. The original 1Ds was always focusing spot on and never needed adjustment.  One day, I removed the filter protecting the huge valuable front element of the 85mm lens I was using, and bingo ! images on the 1DsII suddenly became markedly crisper. I put this down to some subtle interaction of the filter with the AF.

Edmund

Addendum: My sharpness ladder.

Leaf 22 MP
Leaf 65
Phase P30
Nikon D1x
Canon 1Ds
Leica M8
Canon 1DsII

Of note, that sharpness has little to do with resolution - the 1DsII clearly outresolves the 1Ds while  using an equal-area sensor and showing more detail but less immediate sharpness.

As to detail, that is precisely the area in which most posters are saying the M8 is matching the Canons. Check the extensive posts on the Leica forum (which has been bitterly critical of Leica in many cases.)

ISO 640 on the Leica, according to Sean Reid, is actually 800 (though to be fair, he says that 3200 on the 5D is actually around 4000.) As a matter of fact, though, I wouldn't be happy going through life trying to get ISO 1600 and 3200 photos published, given any other choice. I consider those ISOs are "emergency" speeds.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88333\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 07:44:48 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up