Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Did They Do?  (Read 499 times)

Rob C

What Did They Do?
« on: July 21, 2019, 07:14:17 am »

I've looked at this photograph of Sarah Moon more times than I can count, and I still fail to figure out what went down.

It has been presented as a selfie, and also, somewhere, as a Bailey portrait of her. Neither of which matter much; what disturb are the planes: is she behind a window, is she in front of one, is the bottom part of the window broken off, or is it clever melding of originals?

Whatever, it works for me as much as it also exasperates my natural curiosity.

And the look, of course, is perfect.

Okay, another one from somewhere, but maybe it reveals why she was a model first of all and hey, she's been faithfull to the hairstyle forever!

So was my wife, after our first kid came along and she decided to revert to the long hair she had when we met; remember Veronica Lake? that was what she wore at 15. Loved that large wave hiding and revealing!

She hated going to hairdressers, and eventually we did one another's heads. Of course, for her, it got easier, but then she had to deal with making beards look even and, well, cultivated rather than wild.

Until the chemo, it was straight and long - no, not the beard - and I'd cut it wet. Miss all of that, as I do my own thatch. The poor old ponytail gets thinner by the week; one day it may not be there when I reach for it on getting out of the bed. The stretched rubber band will probably be there, however. And the little alarm clock.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 08:10:49 am by Rob C »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: What Did They Do?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 08:08:24 am »

Interesting stuff, Rob. I hope she didn't burn her hair when she made that shot.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

degrub

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 10:25:02 am »

The first looks like it was shot inside of a bus or similar arrangement of windows.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 01:22:48 pm »

I've looked at this photograph of Sarah Moon more times than I can count, and I still fail to figure out what went down.

It has been presented as a selfie, and also, somewhere, as a Bailey portrait of her. Neither of which matter much; what disturb are the planes: is she behind a window, is she in front of one, is the bottom part of the window broken off, or is it clever melding of originals?

Whatever, it works for me as much as it also exasperates my natural curiosity.

And the look, of course, is perfect.

Okay, another one from somewhere, but maybe it reveals why she was a model first of all and hey, she's been faithfull to the hairstyle forever!

So was my wife, after our first kid came along and she decided to revert to the long hair she had when we met; remember Veronica Lake? that was what she wore at 15. Loved that large wave hiding and revealing!

She hated going to hairdressers, and eventually we did one another's heads. Of course, for her, it got easier, but then she had to deal with making beards look even and, well, cultivated rather than wild.

Until the chemo, it was straight and long - no, not the beard - and I'd cut it wet. Miss all of that, as I do my own thatch. The poor old ponytail gets thinner by the week; one day it may not be there when I reach for it on getting out of the bed. The stretched rubber band will probably be there, however. And the little alarm clock.

Thanks for sharing this story, I don’t really care about the pictures, because your text tells how much you love your wife. And that’s more precious than everything else.

athegn

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 03:49:00 pm »

I remember Veronica Lake's hair. Although there were pictures of my Mum in our house, my Dad always had Veronica around somewhere; Dad was a great film fan. I suspect that had I been a girl I would have beren named Veronica. As I was male I was named Alan (Ladd?..)

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 04:03:01 pm »

Thanks for sharing this story, I don’t really care about the pictures, because your text tells how much you love your wife. And that’s more precious than everything else.

Ivo, that's very nice of you. Yes, it's the best thing in the world if you are lucky and find it. The second best thing was that for all the up years and the down ones, she never, not once, suggested I'd have been wiser taking up the opportunity of getting into her family's business when I was young. We just made the best of it and lived our adventure, which tuned out to be pretty good one over the years, if a little financially hairy at times. Thank you again.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 04:13:34 pm »

I remember Veronica Lake's hair. Although there were pictures of my Mum in our house, my Dad always had Veronica around somewhere; Dad was a great film fan. I suspect that had I been a girl I would have beren named Veronica. As I was male I was named Alan (Ladd?..)

I would never have dared suggest calling our daughter Brigitte!

I used to have a tall poster at the end of the garage: Brigitte Bardot. Nice driving up to it at night... I had a wooden cotton reel hanging from the garage rafters, and when the windscreen touched it, I was about an inch from the wall. I lost garage and poster when we had to demolish it all in order to make way for the studio we built. The original plan was to build it on stilts parallel to the side of our house, but the planning people refused us permission to do that; the cars were going to sit underneath. To my chagrin, a couple of years later I drove past a house not four miles away from ours that had exactly what I'd been refused.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up