Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A very smooth baryta paper to replace Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss FB?  (Read 3752 times)

elliot_n

In my search for a smooth gloss paper to replace the discontinued Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss FB I tested the following papers:

Hahnemuhle Photo Silk Baryta 310gsm
Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss Baryta 320gsm
Hahnemuhle Photo Glossy 260gsm
Hahnemuhle Photo Luster 260gsm
Hahnemuhle Photo Pearl 310gsm
Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl 285gsm
Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta Satin 300gsm
Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta 315 gsm
Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl 320gsm
Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta 325gsm
Hahnemuhle Baryta FB 350gsm
Innova Exhibition Photo Baryta IFA69 310gsm
Innova Exhibition Cotton Gloss IFA45 335gsm
Permajet Mono Gloss Bayta 320gsm
Canson Infinity Baryta Prestige 340gsm

Joint Winner: Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss Baryta 320gsm / Permajet Mono Gloss Bayta 320gsm.

As far as I can tell, these two papers are identical to the Harman paper. Compared to the other papers I tested, the ink (Epson K3) settles into this paper in a coherent, convincing, organic manner - no sparks, speckles, shimmers etc. It’s a real shame that the paper doesn’t lie flat, as this can cause head-strikes and makes it difficult for a framer to work with. Hahnemuhle markets this paper in their ‘Photo’ range (‘for everyday printing’), rather than their ‘FineArt’ range. I’m not sure why – it has less OBAs than many of the more expensive ‘FineArt’ papers. Perhaps it is an acknowledgement that the paper is a bitch to work with.

Joint Runner-up: Hahnemuhle Photo Silk Baryta 310gsm / Innova Exhibition Photo Baryta IFA69 310gsm.

These two papers feels very similar - are they the same?  And is it the same paper as Ilford Gold Fibre Silk? A nice smooth paper, that lies very flat. Prints well, but just lacks the integrity of the winning papers. The Innova is very cheap if bought in boxes of 50 A2 sheets. I’ll be buying some for portfolios.

Special Mention: Hahnemuhle Photo Glossy 260gsm.

This is a cheap resin-coated paper. It has a clean smooth surface with a very high gloss. Cold blue white, so presumably full of OBAs. I didn’t know this degree of glossiness was possible with pigment inks. Impressive.

The Rest:

I was hoping to be won over by one of the newer papers, but I’m not convinced. I dislike any sort of texture in photographic prints and most of these high-end papers wear their texture with pride. If I had to pick one it would be Canson Infinity Baryta Prestige 340gsm, as this one is quite smooth. It feels luxurious (and has a price to match).

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography

I have also been testing the Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss Baryta 320. I have a pack of 8.5x11 sheets. Even those little sheets have flatness issues. There is a reverse curl that jams my 7900. I have to "roll" it in my D Roller first, and in both dimensions!

Dave

elliot_n

My ideal paper would be the Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss Baryta 320 with some sort of anti-curl coating on the reverse. As the paper has been on the market, essentially unchanged, for about 12 years (it was reviewed here on Lula in 2007), I doubt this will happen.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up