Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prograf 2000 automated cleaning  (Read 563 times)

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
Prograf 2000 automated cleaning
« on: July 01, 2019, 01:47:49 am »

I have been sending an automated  test print job to my Canon Prograf-2000 every three days via a terminal command on a Mac.

Although I am away, my wife reports the printer went into a cleaning cycle on a day it was not set to print a test output via the terminal command.

Is any one aware if the latest prograf series, if left on in standby, will decide to perform a cleaning cycle without a job being sent? Further, I thought sending a print job every 3 days would keep the unit from any automated cleaning cycles.
Dr D White DDS BSc

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
Re: Prograf 2000 automated cleaning
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 02:20:49 am »

I have been sending an automated  test print job to my Canon Prograf-2000 every three days via a terminal command on a Mac.

Although I am away, my wife reports the printer went into a cleaning cycle on a day it was not set to print a test output via the terminal command.

Is any one aware if the latest prograf series, if left on in standby, will decide to perform a cleaning cycle without a job being sent? Further, I thought sending a print job every 3 days would keep the unit from any automated cleaning cycles.

I have never seen the printer (PRO-4000) wake up to perform a maintenance routine.
The cleaning routine starts before and mainly after a print job. This happens every few days. I don't know when exactly. The algorithm is complex.
It will perform a cleaning and nozzle checking routine even during heavy printing sessions so I don't think that you are preventing cleaning cycles by sending a print job every 3 days. Maybe this was appropriate for older printers.
After 2 and a half years with the PRO-1000 and 7 months with the PRO-4000 I am starting to realize that the best approach with these printers is to just letting them idle and use them when you need to use them.

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 12:36:12 pm »

Any other thoughts there?
Dr D White DDS BSc

virojarvi

• www.virojarvi.com
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 06:13:37 am »

I have never seen the printer (PRO-4000) wake up to perform a maintenance routine.
After 2 and a half years with the PRO-1000 and 7 months with the PRO-4000 I am starting to realize that the best approach with these printers is to just letting them idle and use them when you need to use them.

I have had PRO-4000 for over two years and it took a long time before I saw that it actually does sometimes wake up to do maintenance. It happens so rarely I haven't noticed any pattern.

Anyway I also leave it idle and use when I need it, which is pretty low volume with sometimes several weeks in between.
I don't do any scheduled printing and have once had a color blocked which required extra cleaning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up