Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mount card colour(s) to best suit & compliment an image?  (Read 379 times)

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
Mount card colour(s) to best suit & compliment an image?
« on: August 02, 2019, 08:28:12 pm »

Hi all

I was unsure what sub-fora to post this (possibly) discussional question, so if there is a more appropriate one......mods please move it :)

I have ordered some cut mounts of a range of colours as 'a library of reference colour mounts' to lay over a print but it also struck me as follows:-

Is there a readily available way of creating in, for example, PS CS6 (or other softwares that you might suggest?) a wider canvas duplicated with various colours to drop the images into and see them side by side to "get the feel of which one to choose".

Obviously, it would be onerous to have to create them each time so they need to be template like..........................e.g. if you could open such a set (white, red, blue, green...even a white with black core.... etc) and drop the subject image into them all in no more than a couple/few keystrokes.

The reason for the question and my uncertainty is because until now I have only ever used pure white rather than off white mount but it was put to me, by the curator of an exhibition, that as is more common with art (rather than photography) that a picture can be enhanced by using a mount colour that compliments the image.................this can either be a black core white mount to give some edge definition or e.g. a pale blue mount that echoes the sky and/or the sea in a sea/landscape picture. (NB yes, an interior design principle of pick a colour and compliment it in the surroundings)

Yes, a photograph needs to 'speak for itself' but as many (all) photographs are enhanced in their post processing why not include the colour of the mount in the “processing for display” (a double mount [duo colour such as white & grey] can be an option?) and what about the colour of the frame to be included as part of the process???

Just by way of an example that I saw and it was bought by someone at an exhibition ~ a Red Poppy in a field, processed as selective colour, the Red of the poppy, in muted monochrome background, this was framed in a black frame with a black mount. Very effective though IMO the sort of picture for a very specific placing & usage.

One might say that purity of intent in the PP of the photograph that is placed in white mount will always speak for itself.  However, this may not always appeal to a buyer when it comes to "that is nice but where can I hang it in the house......." NB by making the final print mounted/mounted & framed a self contained presentation it should be able to be hung in a wider range of room settings even if it does not match/compliment the decor...............but with a plain white mount or alternative as outlined above?.......................that is what I am struggling with, hence the question.

FWIW I am not talking about trying to pre-empt what any buyer's would like to see but more about the balance between the purity and neutrality of the way a photograph is mounted/mounted & framed in white mount compared to considering, the colour/double mount/black cored mount et al, as part of the whole process of 'processing' the photograph for presentation display.

Subtle ways of making the photograph more appealing, afteral do we not as required PP already to make the image more satisfying to look at???

TIA for any insights and thoughts on this matter :)
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Mount card colour(s) to best suit & compliment an image?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 11:08:41 am »

Years ago I enlarged about 30 medium format film pictures to 16x20" and had them mounted in a silver narrow aluminum frame with 3" matting around the picture.  For each picture, I picked one color from the photo to somewhat match the matting.  My wife and I decided to use this color scheme rather than make everything with white borders.  Our home isn't a museum, so we did not feel compelled to use the white border.  Here're a couple of examples.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.  I'm sure they'll look great. Alan.

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 03:50:22 pm »

Alan

Thank you for your insight and the good examples of a personal approach :)

PS this whole dilemma is not for my personal use but how to address what folk might buy?

In the past I have sold some in plain bright white mounts and black frames.................more latterly I offered the same mounts but with wood white stained frames.  At that exhibition I sold a couple of mounted only and though the framed ones caught a lot of attention there was non bought.  One plus, I offered for the first time 'blank inside' greetings cards of 4 off different images.  This showed promise as one design sold 9 off and the other three had 1 off each sold.

All very much food for thought as I have places booked at the same location in March & November 2020.
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 08:06:37 pm »

Why don't you set up a few of different types so people can see from the assortment and then decide for themselves? You could also see if they want to have frames and mats changed after the show so that you can ship it to them later.
Pages: [1]   Go Up